PDA

View Full Version : Chevy 454 Long block sitting, is it ok?

shaun
01-16-2004, 01:00 AM
Here's the story...
I originally had a 396 in the boat, my dad had a dulley and blew the motor. My parrents where in a toughf point in life and we pulled the 396 and put it in the truck. The 396 spun a rod bearing shortly after. Years later when things where better my dad purchased a 454 long block for the truck, he was putting it in at the shop he was working at and one night somebody broke into the truck, jacked his tools, and wheels leaving the truck on blocks... long story short, he left it like that for a while, cops threatened to tow it, so he pulled the motor out and left the truck. Now even more years later my parrents gave me the boat, i have wanted it for a long time as it was kind of somthing i wanted to keep in the family, anyway... the motor has been run, and probably for a whole 10 minutes (this was like 2 years ago). My dad gave me the motor for the boat and i'm wondering if the bottom end is ok. My dad told me that before he pulled the motor that he backed off the load so that all the valves would seal helping prevent moisture from entering the chamber. What do you guys think? Should i put new rings and bearings? I dont want to have a problem later on.

BrendellaJet
01-16-2004, 12:25 PM
It depends!
Its good that he backed the rockers off. Was it stored indoors or out? If it got any moisture inside the block you will likely have some rust- I'd teardown and check it out, atleast pull the heads off. Squirt some oil in the cylinders and see if it will rotate freely. If it rotates okay, you shouldn't have any problems. Was the cam ever broken in? If not, you may want to do that too.

78Eliminator
01-16-2004, 12:33 PM
I would, at a minimum, disassemble and inspect, then reassemble. It will only cost you time and gaskets and that's cheap insurance.

shaun
01-17-2004, 07:59 PM
i'll have to ack my dad about the cam.
apparently the oil is stil in the motor. If i recall correct thats not a good thing when storing a motor. The motor was outside also. I just pulled the block out tonight, i hope to pull all the junk for the truck off it and get started on this.

GofastRacer
01-17-2004, 08:05 PM
Save yourself a lot of grief, tear it down and clean it all up, inspect it, do what's needed and put it together and enjoy it!.. :)

BrendellaJet
01-18-2004, 12:06 PM
if it was outside, definitely tear it down. Hopefully its not full of water!