PDA

View Full Version : Impeller choice?

Danhercules
01-16-2004, 08:08 AM
Here what I got,
460 DOVE heads, tunnel ram with 2 750's headers, cam is a 234/244 dur. and 574/576 life. The heads are gonna be ported a bit. Intake opened up to 219. I am swapping out the timming gears to the pre '72 ones. I am rebuilding the pump as well. Question is what do I run with? "A", "AB", "B"?
I want to hit 70MPH and dont wanna rev over 5500. My guess I the motor will me making a touch over 500hp. What ya think?
One more thing, This is for a JETBOAT!

beached 1
01-16-2004, 08:10 AM
B

HammerDown
01-16-2004, 08:14 AM
You wanna hit 70 mph in what type of Hull...something light like a Texas Tunnel or a 26' Sleekcraft.
Weights a pretty big factor with Boats.

Danhercules
01-16-2004, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by HammerDown
You wanna hit 70 mph in what type of Hull...something light like a Texas Tunnel or a 26' Sleekcraft.
Weights a pretty big factor with Boats.
Well, if you look at my avitar, or my signature you will see!!
Maybe I should not be an @$$ if I am lookin for help. :rolleyes:
Just messin.........It's a 18' Southwind. No tunnel.

Jetmugg
01-16-2004, 08:42 AM
B

Squirtcha?
01-16-2004, 08:43 AM
Dan,
You know we're pretty close. Kachina splashed the Southwind 18.5 and if you're gonna be running 500 hp, that's the same hp level I'm at now.
Before I had the pump setback, snoot, rideplate etc. I was running a little over 70 mph with the 500 hp (no N20) with an Aggressor AB impeller. Rpm was about 5200-5300. I would think yours would end up right about there.
If you're gonna use a Berkeley impeller I think that'd be an A.
I thought you had a set of iron CJ heads on that motor?

Danhercules
01-16-2004, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Squirtcha?
Before I had the pump setback, snoot, rideplate etc. I was running a little over 70 mph with the 500 hp (no N20) with an Aggressor AB impeller. Rpm was about 5200-5300. I would think yours would end up right about there.
If you're gonna use a Berkeley impeller I think that'd be an A.
I thought you had a set of iron CJ heads on that motor?
I am getting confused. An "AB" agressor is the same as an "A" berk? Is there some sort of chart that shows the diffrence in the makes and sizes? Whats the diffrence in the brands of impeller?
Squirtcha, I do have SCJ head on there now. I am changing them. The SCJ heads arent really doing any good at my RPM. As I am learing, they are great heads for 6500 RPM. I am not even close to that. I am going for some ported D0VE heads to make the power where I need it.

HammerDown
01-16-2004, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Danhercules
Well, if you look at my avitar, or my signature you will see!!
Maybe I should not be an @$$ if I am lookin for help. :rolleyes:
Just messin.........It's a 18' Southwind. No tunnel.
Whooow, hold on there Cowboy. My Avitar and Signatures are turned off on my side.
So no, not trying to look like or make anyone out to be an A$$...just asking a question to offer up some help.:rolleyes:

Squirtcha?
01-16-2004, 09:58 AM
I am getting confused. An "AB" agressor is the same as an "A" berk? Is there some sort of chart that shows the diffrence in the makes and sizes? Whats the diffrence in the brands of impeller?
Yes, there is a difference between Aggressor and Berk. It depends on who you talk to, as to exactly how much difference. I always heard it was a full size.
A aggressor is like a AA Berk or something along those lines.
There's a post on here somewhere on which the difference in sizes between these two makers is discussed.

HBjet
01-16-2004, 10:09 AM
I would run a B with that combo.
My old motor made less then 500hp, and it only spun 5150-5200 rpm. The best speed was 80mph with the best conditions. With my Legend B there was no problem getting out of the hole, or cruising. The larger the impeller, the better the wholeshot, but you will loose top end MPH due to the lack of power to turn the higher RPM's.
HBjet

Bense468
01-16-2004, 10:21 AM
AB

Danhercules
01-16-2004, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by HammerDown
Whooow, hold on there Cowboy. My Avitar and Signatures are turned off on my side.
So no, not trying to look like or make anyone out to be an A$$...just asking a question to offer up some help.:rolleyes:
I was trying to be a smart @$$. Looks like it did not work. I was just messin. I did not know you could turn that stuff off. Sorry bro.

HammerDown
01-16-2004, 10:30 AM
I was trying to be a smart @$$. Looks like it did not work. I was just messin. I did not know you could turn that stuff off. Sorry bro.
Yes you can turn it off...as I'm one thats still in a Cave with Dialup, having it off loads the the pages way faster...all's good no proplem.:cool:

Bense468
01-16-2004, 10:47 AM
Thats funny that you have yours off, but your avatar is streaming video. Thats nice for the dl rates.

HammerDown
01-16-2004, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Bense468
Thats funny that you have yours off, but your avatar is streaming video. Thats nice for the dl rates.
Not to go off topic...but I do turn it on every now and then. And with these sub freezing temps out here I might have to take a peek at my Avitar again to remind me what once was(warmth/fun) and whats to come...
Winter really does suck!:cool:

FoMoCo
01-16-2004, 11:16 AM
Ok I do not agree with running a Berk B. I had a berk B+ in my boat when i first put it together with a 429, spun 5400rpms @ 82mph. But I The hole shot was just Ok, and with 4 people in the boat forget about ANY HOLE shot! I now have a 460 Ford DOVE heads with 2.19 & 1.76 valves, mild porting. the motor is 11:1 compression with a COmp Cam 300 AR solid Roller. Its toped with a WEiand Tunnel ram and 2 750DP holley's. I know run an Agressor (B) impeller(Bronze), which I have been told is close to a Berk (A) and I spin 5700 rpms @ 86mph(still working on set-up) with a Crazy hole shot!!! I think you would be pretty close to 5300-5500 with the same impeller. Oh Ya I also have a Kachina!!

Danhercules
01-16-2004, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by FoMoCo
Ok I do not agree with running a Berk B. I had a berk B+ in my boat when i first put it together with a 429, spun 5400rpms @ 82mph. But I The hole shot was just Ok, and with 4 people in the boat forget about ANY HOLE shot! I now have a 460 Ford DOVE heads with 2.19 & 1.76 valves, mild porting. the motor is 11:1 compression with a COmp Cam 300 AR solid Roller. Its toped with a WEiand Tunnel ram and 2 750DP holley's. I know run an Agressor (B) impeller(Bronze), which I have been told is close to a Berk (A) and I spin 5700 rpms @ 86mph(still working on set-up) with a Crazy hole shot!!! I think you would be pretty close to 5300-5500 with the same impeller. Oh Ya I also have a Kachina!!
WOW, Sounds a lot like my set up. Whats your cam size? I will have 10 to 10.5:1 compression. I am thinking of going roller rockers too. If not at least roller tip.

FoMoCo
01-16-2004, 11:56 AM
The Cam is a Solid Roller with .663 lift and 254 Duration @ .050, Lobe Sep is 110. Its worrks really well. I think Comp has some better grings now that Are split duration. I run the Comp Cam Stainless Rockers! I would highly recommend them, they are REALLY Strong!

HBjet
01-16-2004, 11:58 AM
Since your going to rebuild the pump, this would be the best time to add a cav. reducer. I don't know what your budget is, but I have one, and I have the best of both worlds. A great hole shot, and top end using a Legend B impeller.
Just a thought!
HBjet

hack job
01-16-2004, 02:22 PM
WOW, Sounds a lot like my set up. Whats your cam size? I will have 10 to 10.5:1 compression. I am thinking of going roller rockers too. If not at least roller tip.
i think fomoco ment he was running a roller cam( but i think he is running the roller rockers too);)

Jake W
01-16-2004, 07:32 PM
Why not run an, A and see what it turns then you can cut it down to run at the rpm that you want it to.Because right now you are guessing and you can not add alum or SS to a B to make it a AB or A.
This is advise from a pump builder.Im not saying any names:rolleyes: ha ha
Jake:D

Squirtcha?
01-16-2004, 08:00 PM
Jake makes a good point. I started out with an A and had it cut down to an AB. You can cut it down, but you can't add it back.