PDA

View Full Version : moms and Dads what would you do?????

MsDrmr
01-16-2004, 08:48 AM
Here's the story
My son 10 yrs old was playing in a field right behind our brick wall yesterday at 3:40 in the afternoon when he noticed he was being followed by a light blue van, when he noticed he walked faster, they drove faster, when he ran they drove faster,,,,they followed him all the way to the brick wall behind our house that he scaled and ran into the house. That van almost hit our brick wall it was so close, hubby says don't call the police, that it was probably high schoool kids pulling a prank,,,I think the tire marks are in the dirt and find out who the hell did this to my son.
Moms and dads....What would you do?

Kindsvater Flat
01-16-2004, 08:51 AM
regardless.... call it in. Pranks like that arent' funny anymore!

Jbb
01-16-2004, 08:53 AM
What if its not a prank....You cannot take that chance....Call..Pranksters like that...these days are taking their lives in their hands...

JetBoatRich
01-16-2004, 08:53 AM
Report it ASAP, if it was real you need to try and prevent it from another child:(
We had a similiar incident a couple weeks down the street from our house, some guy followed a girl then drove right in front of her blocked her path and try to grab her:mad:

svlperry
01-16-2004, 09:00 AM
i aggree with forensic

OLDRAT
01-16-2004, 09:03 AM
It's best to call, that way they will have a record of your complaint on file in the event this dickwad continues to harrass your child or others in the area.
Maybe if the cops catch them, you can talk the cops in to going for a cup of coffee while you "interview" the responsible party.

MsDrmr
01-16-2004, 09:04 AM
is there anything they can do with tire marks and a brief description of the van?

Havasu_Dreamin
01-16-2004, 09:09 AM
Call it in. At thevery least the local PD or SO should increase patrols and at least be looking for suspicious activity, especially if it is a blue van. An increased patrol presence will certainly make someone think twice before they pull anything.

C-2
01-16-2004, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by mrsdrmr
is there anything they can do with tire marks and a brief description of the van?
Tire tracks are normally only used in high profile cases (kidnapping, murders, other aggravated violent felonies). The costs and work required to use tracks is normally prohibitive to most law enforcement agencies and their routine investigations.
-BUT-
Maybe the police are already looking for somebody in a van, maybe they have other similar reports, maybe your info now might help solve or prevent a future crime from occuring.
The benefits of making at least a telephonic report are numerous, even if nothing becomes of your specific incident.
Keep in eye open around your kids school too. A van is bad news.

victorfb
01-16-2004, 09:46 AM
CALL IT IN NOW !!!!!

Mandelon
01-16-2004, 09:51 AM
I say call it in. I don't know that they broke the law just following your son, but at least the police will have the info. Maybe they are already looking a couple of weirdo in that van.....

rvrtoy
01-16-2004, 10:18 AM
Call it in...If it is a prank it's not funny and maybe a visit from the local authorities will scare the shit out of the pranksters. If it's not a joke then the authorities NEED to know!! and the NEED to know NOW!!!:mad:

Jetdriver
01-16-2004, 10:19 AM
I say get the shotgun out! Time to protect whats yours!

MRS FLYIN VEE
01-16-2004, 10:20 AM
I agree with everyone.. I would call it in ASAP. if at all possible pick your son up or follow him home for a while to see if it happens again and get the plate # like RD said.. maybe this has happen to another kid and it wasn't called in so now it is happening to yours.. I would call it in to protect your son and any other kids this may be happening to. maybe they can (police) patrol the area a little more for the kids safety.. good luck and I hope they catch who ever it is.. This is real scary now adays.. Can't be to careful. Tell your son he did the right thing too. I'm glad he got out of it .. That was quick thinking for a 10 year old.. Good job.. ;) You are raising a smart boy. job well done mom and dad.. ;)

MsDrmr
01-16-2004, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by RiverDave
I probably wouldn't call it in personally... but my advice to you is call it in.
Are you a stay at home mom? or do you have to work?
Maybe you can keep an eye out for this blue van right after school (near the school etc..) and get the license plate #?
RD
No I am a working mom, however, I am home by 3:10, son gets home at 3:20-3:30 pending on bus. I usually let him play in the field since we are so deep into the house track that it would at least take a care 2 min to be behind our house, the frightening thing is the mr and I were in our room which faces the field, and we did not even hear the van outside our window (4 windows total). I told the mr. I feel like sitting at my window for the next few weeks with one of our guns and shooting our their tires if they are seen again and beating the holy shit outta them.
I will call in the report though, I really didn't want to ignore it like Mr. said.
I am personally going to search our surrounding neighborhoods to see if I can spot it. Mr is 6'9 and over 300lbs, he can knock on the door and have a chat with the individual.

Dave C
01-16-2004, 10:25 AM
I agree with these people. call it in just in case you have a sexual predator in your neighborhood. The neighborhood parents may thank you later.

OLDRAT
01-16-2004, 10:27 AM
am personally going to search our surrounding neighborhoods to see if I can spot it. Mr is 6'9 and over 300lbs, he can knock on the door and have a chat with the individual.
Now that's what I'm talking about.
Good luck and tell your Son to stay alert.

hd&boatrider
01-16-2004, 10:56 AM
I would call without hesitation. Not funny. What is the negative that could have happened.....your kid dead! If there is a next time it could be your kid for real or somebody else's kid. How bad would you feel then. Go with your instincts and call the police immediately.

Scream
01-16-2004, 11:15 AM
IMHO, we should all encourage our kids to tell us of any...ANY...suspicious activity, regardless of how seemingly small or insignificant it may seem to you. It may just be a misunderstanding, but if your child had the feeling of running for his/her life, then it's pretty significant to him/her.
Kids need to know that if they come to us (parents) with problems that we'll take them seriously and take action to protect them. Like I said, we should encourage them to confide in us, that way if a molestor (forbid the thought) takes advantage of them, using the tricks of the trade (intimidation, bribery, emotional duress) they will not think twice about talking to us about it.
I work with kids alot and this is what our training tells us to do to "prepare and prevent" child abuse.
Matt

Dribble
01-16-2004, 11:20 AM
If you can't track them down and kill them yourselves then call the police.

OGShocker
01-16-2004, 11:27 AM
I told the mr. I feel like sitting at my window for the next few weeks with one of our guns and shooting out their tires if they are seen again and beating the holy shit outta them.
We all feel like doing this sort of thing but, please don't. Call the pro's! Fontana coppers are a pretty good group. I would still look for the van, just do not stop anywhere near it. If these folks are a bad group of bad guys they already know where you live. So, if you spot it, write down ALL the information you can. Pictures help a lot too..
My .02
OGS

ratso
01-16-2004, 11:40 AM
I'd call it in and pray that the cops reach them before I do...

MsDrmr
01-16-2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by OGShocker
We all feel like doing this sort of thing but, please don't. Call the pro's! Fontana coppers are a pretty good group. I would still look for the van, just do not stop anywhere near it. If these folks are a bad group of bad guys they already know where you live. So, if you spot it, write down ALL the information you can. Pictures help a lot too..
My .02
OGS
Very good advice, I will drive around and see if I can find it and I will take pics. I also have a digitial camera and will take a pic of it if it's in the field, (then we can magnify the pic to get the #'s if neccessary

Ziggy
01-16-2004, 12:51 PM
I'd call it in to the Police.............AND, I'd tell every parent in your area you see as well as alerting the school about it. The more people looking for a suspicious blue van the more eyes that are out there helping.
Scarey and glad your son was even aware, so many kids are quite oblivious to their immediate surroundings.

Screaming Pete
01-16-2004, 01:08 PM
Had a simialer s//p in my old NH and they got the guy and he had a record a mile long. REPORT ASAP and don't let up:mad:

DogHouse
01-16-2004, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by RiverDave
I probably wouldn't call it in personally... but my advice to you is call it in.
Bet you'd change your mind if you had kids... we parents can get VERY protective in situations like that. Only reason I wouldn't have called that in is if I watched it happen and then had the good fortune of killing the bastard myself! Otherwise I'd be on the phone immediately.
-brian

HighRoller
01-16-2004, 01:21 PM
Everybody is correct about the need to call it in. With parents paying less and less attention to their kids these days, pedophiles have gotten bolder and bolder. And the main things about them is that they are 1.)creatures of habit and 2.)creatures of opportunity. They also cannot control their impulses most times. If this person went after your child because he was alone there's a good chance that he'll try again because he can't help himself after getting tempted. My recommendation would be to drive around your neighborhood and surrounding streets a lot in the next few weeks about the same time of day this happened. You never know whether the close call deterred or emboldened the driver of the van, but I'd be willing to bet if it's a pedophile he'll try again somewhere close.

RJ Nordic
01-16-2004, 01:26 PM
Gota call it in, a no brainer. Prank or not there has to be a paper trail in case something goes wrong later either with you family or someone elses.
Doing nothing is the same as saying it is ok.

MsDrmr
01-16-2004, 02:27 PM
I have reported it to the police dept. I still have every intention to travel the areas and see if I can find the van.
Better help the person if I find them

gigamurph
01-16-2004, 02:32 PM
Good advice by all! Call it in and if it was just a prank; no harm , no foul! But if it wasn't and it happened again, either to your son or someone else's, that would not only be a tragedy but a tragedy that would lay heavy on your conscience!
One other bit of advice though....." I am personally going to search our surrounding neighborhoods to see if I can spot it. Mr is 6'9 and over 300lbs, he can knock on the door and have a chat with the individual." DON'T! I had a similar incident where an irate father in the neighborhood drove up, cut my son off, and grabbed him and started shakin' him and accusin' him of scratchin' his car. (Found out later that it was his own son that did it due to bein' mad at daddy.) My Son runs home and tells me about this and I go ballistic! But for some reason and the one and only time that I used common sense when I was "upset", I called the Hemet PD and told them that they better get to his house before I do! Well, they advised me not to do so and even sent two cars, one to the p**cks house and one to intercept me. The officer told me that if I had gone to his house that I could be arrested as well for "threatening and intimidating actions". Even if I had just gone to his house in the aggitated state that I was in and didn't do anything to the guy! So don't let your husband follow through on his desire to confront the perps. Let the authorities handle it.

BENZEEN
01-16-2004, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Kindsvater Flat
regardless.... call it in. Pranks like that arent' funny anymore!
I second that.

phebus
01-16-2004, 03:11 PM
Call it in. It needs to be documented. You never know what any little bit of information can do to help the police. Possibly there have been other incidents, and your description of the van, or occupant could really help.

Ziggy
01-16-2004, 04:18 PM
I have reported it to the police dept. I still have every intention to travel the areas and see if I can find the van.
Phebus said it right, don't take matters into your own hands. Spread the word as I suggested to neighbors and the school , that's a ton more eyes on the look out.

v-drive
01-16-2004, 04:30 PM
Call right now like everyone else has said. you are not a detective so let them do the work. The discription of the van will be in all of the police cars so if they do see it they can investigate properly. v-drive

topless
01-16-2004, 04:45 PM
She did call to report it and was told there was not alot they could do so they said that an officer would call her back to take the report. When he finally did, he said he had to go on an emergency and would call her by 3pm. He never called back.
Glad they are so concerned.

v-drive
01-16-2004, 04:58 PM
A squeaky wheel gets the grease

coolchange
01-16-2004, 05:56 PM
Just getting the van license is good but you need to see the driver. I'm not suggesting you do anything stupid, but I was in a "van" situation and they really wanted me to id. the driver and I couldn't.

burbanite
01-17-2004, 08:02 AM
All of the above.....and be well armed.....

LOWRIVER2
01-17-2004, 09:04 AM
Okay, saw this thread on my weekly criuse through here.
Based on what Topless wrote, that's not good.
I have two friends on Fontana PD. I'll call today and pass along the info. If you could PM me the "general area" or neighborhood, that would be great, cross streets would even be better.
I'm LAPD/ Metropolitan Div. so no worries as to who I am, John at Inland Ultra can attest to who I am.
I leave for work at 1230 pm, I'll check back here at 1130 to see if you sent me a PM with a general area, if not, I KNOW my buddie's will pass on the info. on the Blu. van and check for any related incidents.
Side note:
Tire tracks would not be "molded" (poured) on this incident based solely on the info. provided. That being said, the info. "should" be passed along to the patrol officers of your area as well as some sort of brief report (or even a dispatch file of the call), to be processed into some sort of crime/incident log for computer aided tracking to pinpoint criminal/suspicious activity. All PD's in So. Cal have these systems.

LOWRIVER2
01-17-2004, 01:33 PM
I did'nt receive any other info. so I'll pass on what was posted. I won't be back around here till Tues. evening, will look back then.

Dr. Eagle
01-17-2004, 01:44 PM
I just read this thread for the first time today. This is disturbing/scary.
I believe it is best to let the professionals decide if it is a hoax or not, your report of this incident may save a young persons life.
:(
Damn scary...

sam pioske
01-17-2004, 06:10 PM
At least turn in the complaint Would love to see that BIG husband get ahold of the person. Would cheer and i carry in case SOB's

roostwear
01-17-2004, 06:59 PM
I'm kinda concerned you would even consider NOT calling the police. Next time, I wouldn't ask a message board for advice, just CALL.

Ziggy
01-19-2004, 02:32 PM
MrsDrmr, just wondering if anything else has come up or new info on this situation? Concerned parents all over these boards. Worth bringing back to the top regardless.

OGShocker
01-19-2004, 03:38 PM
Damn RD, maybe she found the VAN...

76BARRON
01-19-2004, 07:04 PM
I HAVE BEEN QUIETLY WATCHING THIS THREAD FROM EARLY ON.
AND HAVING MET SOME OF THE CHARACTER'S,CLOWN'S(THIS INCLUDE'S MYSELF)ON THESE BOARD'S I AM GLAD TO SEE WHEN THE SUBJECT GET'S SERIOUS SUCH AS THIS ONE, THAT ALL THE MEMBER'S OF THIS BOARD CAME TOGETHER IN ONE VOICE TO SAY
DON'T MESS AROUND WITH THESE (SCUM BAGS) AND CALL THE AUTHORITIES! ALL I CAN SAY IS WELL DONE!! MAYBE THERE IS HOPE FOR US YET!:D WELL MOST OF US ANYWAY!:D

Checkmate
01-19-2004, 07:07 PM
Definately call, better safe than sorry. Ya never know nowadays and it is better to not regret something. My opinion
Dan

MsDrmr
01-20-2004, 01:22 PM
today is Jan 20 and No nothing has come of this. I have never recieved a call from the officer and after leaving msg. I have not had a call back. I am working with someone on the boards now who may be able to assist me. I am fed up with this, Mr. did not want me to report this and now it seems that the Fontana P.D is TOO BUISY to help out. sometimes I feel that if you want to be protected, best damn well do it yourself whatever the measures are.
(sorry just venting)

topless
01-20-2004, 01:44 PM
As of now, Fontana PD still hasn't called mrsdrmr back so I'm going to take it upon myself to describe the van for you. She told me it was an older large van no side windows and light blue in color with some visible damage either on the front or passanger side. The scariest part of this is that he was followed in the field behind their house so they had to get off the road to do this. He ran and scaled a cinderblock wall to get away. The van stopped just inches from the wall. So glad he made it over the wall!

Ziggy
01-20-2004, 06:32 PM
Thanks for updating us on this MrsDrmr(and topless). Want to bring this to top again just because its such an important issue.
Have you said anything to neighbors or the school? I would.

396_Z
01-20-2004, 07:27 PM
Honestly I'm a bit shocked that no one hee has asked if any of the occupants of the van resembled Michael Jackson.
As the parent of 2 girls I say the best thing to do is keep after the local PD to take note of your complaint. In this day and age where people want reports filed over everything the local fuzz are tired of writing. Keep after them until they are more tired of hearing you complain of their lack of action. If you so desire you can make a huge stink of the matter over their lack of action to the city council. True it's not exactly an orthdox method but council meetings are attended by the media and trust me, the council doesn't like bad press. If they fail to respond to you keep after it, eventually the PD will be calling you with a very nice tone of voice.
In the mean time, teach you child to do exactly what he did, run. Run to a friends, neighbors, heck even a stranger may be better then what he was facing. The odds are in his favor.

MsDrmr
01-21-2004, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Ziggy
Thanks for updating us on this MrsDrmr(and topless). Want to bring this to top again just because its such an important issue.
Have you said anything to neighbors or the school? I would.
Ziggy
thanks for the post, I have tried to contact them a couple times about this, still no answer, I did contact the school, and I made flyers and put them on the mail-boxes in my neighborhood.(they are community boxes so that everyone in the neighborhood can see the flyer when they pick up thier mail. Other than that nothing further has happend with this subject

Ziggy
01-21-2004, 06:56 PM
Ziggy
thanks for the post, I have tried to contact them a couple times about this, still no answer, I did contact the school, and I made flyers and put them on the mail-boxes in my neighborhood.(they are community boxes so that everyone in the neighborhood can see the flyer when they pick up thier mail. Other than that nothing further has happend with this subject
Thats great, any exposure that alerts neighbors will be beneficial. I'm soooo glad your son was aware and was able to climb that wall...it would've scare the crap out of me.
Oh, and congrats on your weight loss, Fantastic:) :) I've dropped about 50lbs in the last few years and still want to drop another 25-30...Its hard but well worth the way you feel and feel about yourself. Keep at it!

MsDrmr
01-21-2004, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Ziggy
Thats great, any exposure that alerts neighbors will be beneficial. I'm soooo glad your son was aware and was able to climb that wall...it would've scare the crap out of me.
Oh, and congrats on your weight loss, Fantastic:) :) I've dropped about 50lbs in the last few years and still want to drop another 25-30...Its hard but well worth the way you feel and feel about yourself. Keep at it!
Ziggy, the weight loss is quite difficult, I have been on the atkins diet, and I have found that I have done well in the last couple weeks. How is the wife supporting you? My tries bless his soul, but there are things he just can't give up. I have lost almost 20 and have a goal to loose 30 more. When you look at what you have lost it feels great, when you look at where you are going,,sometimes that gets hard.
but if ya need some friendly words to get ya through I am there for ya...anytime.

Ziggy
01-21-2004, 07:24 PM
Ziggy, the weight loss is quite difficult, I have been on the atkins diet, and I have found that I have done well in the last couple weeks. How is the wife supporting you? My tries bless his soul, but there are things he just can't give up. I have lost almost 20 and have a goal to loose 30 more. When you look at what you have lost it feels great, when you look at where you are going,,sometimes that gets hard.
but if ya need some friendly words to get ya through I am there for ya...anytime.
My wife went along and did it for herself, we ate and tracked our progress together, took pics when we started, all that stuff. We certainly found out though that diet alone didn't complete the task so we both added personal training to the regimine.....That was the key for us. Cardio and weights. When we first finished the program Jan looked like she was 20 again. We've slacked here and there but I still hit the gym 3 times a week so I've stayed level.
Where it was the hardest is after you loose that first load of weight you seem to plateau and it seems like you work hard with no results for a while. Discouraging but you just gotta stay at it, it will start to drop again.
Hard to give up certain things for your Hubby? I know the feeling but I did it and still stay true...No butter/margarine, mayo, chips and the biggie, SODA as well as other fatty things. Now I really don't miss that stuff and some of it I can't even swallow anymore. Your body changes.
Thanks for your encouragement and the same goes for you, if you need an ear or spirit lifter just shoot me a message, more than happy to lend some support.;)

SLAPPING_GLASS
01-22-2004, 04:23 AM
Defiently call the police and if it happens again a bat by the door is always handy to have... also ball bearings work really well

SLAPPING_GLASS
01-22-2004, 04:26 AM
Call the police and next time do not hesitate please.This kind of shit has to bew put to a end even take care of it yourself if you have too Anybody get near my kids and there will be a price to pay no matter who they are.
Take care and have a good day