PDA

View Full Version : Holley 4150 750

HOSS
01-16-2004, 10:18 AM
Holley 4150 750. I have just about finished my choke horn removal project. I need to get new nozzles. I think. Are the little orfices on the side of them for idle circuit? I kinda messed them up tryin` to take too much out too quick. I have since smoothed them out and on the edges the brass is deffinately showing. Is this gonna mess up my idle? I also am orderring the plug kit to remove the power valve. Holley is recommending 6-8 jets sizes larger. I should only have to do this on the primaries correct? Without the power valve is it going to idle correctly? This is an attempt not to buy an 850 carb for the A460 cam I`m getting.
I really messed this carb up by trying to take too much out too damn quick. I think one gets 10 chances in life to really f up and I just used all 10 last night on this carb.
PS- wood router bits work great to remove aluminum on a 90 degree die grinder. just do a little at a time.
HotCrusader! Help! Will post a pic in a minute.

HOSS
01-16-2004, 10:32 AM
Top view. After this is done with all drimel work should I apply alodine or anodine?

HOSS
01-16-2004, 10:34 AM
You only live once. So did this carb.

Fiat48
01-16-2004, 11:09 AM
Hoss, it's been a long time since I ran carbs but I did run some 750's for a while. The 750's I ran came with a power valve in the primary and a 70 jet. The secondary had no power valve and was a 80 jet. When we blocked the primary power valve, we went to a 78 jet. Idle is not affected by power valve blockoff.
I'll try to find you a holley jet number flow chart. As I remember 76to 77 was a large area increase in the jet range by flow and 80,81,82, numbers were very slight. Meaning an 81 jet was really just a high flow 80 jet.
To control idle mixture better, we used to insert a fine wire in the idle circuit bleed hole. I'll try to find that flow chart and also picture of inserting a wire in the idle circuit.
http://www.barrygrant.com/bgfuel/default.aspx?page=84#Specifications

HOSS
01-16-2004, 12:10 PM
I have 71`s in the primaries and 80`s in the secondaries. primary is the only power valve. I can deffinately see putting 78`s up front. The air bleeds for primaries are the ones I inadvertently un shrouded. This I`m worried about.

78Eliminator
01-16-2004, 12:17 PM
If you ****ed up your main body, you can always order a new one from Pro-Form for $100. It will take you up to 780 CFMs too.

Hotcrusader76
01-16-2004, 01:30 PM
WWWhhhheewww......doggie......
I give you a 10 for effort, 8 for creativity, and 0 for functionality. :D
Hoss....it doesn't look pretty but you can still save it. Real easy here.
Listen up...
OPTION #1
Take a No.21 drill and drill out all of your air-bleeds...ALL 8 of them. Then tap them with a 10/32" tap. Once that's done send me your engine specs, your application specific information, and $15 and I will send you the applicable airbleeds for your new application.
Something that does bother me a little are the boosters. (Finger like projections into the bores). Did you nick one of them with a dremel tool? If so you will need new boosters. After nicking it you could very well have killed the signal for that bore. The only way to know is checking it on a flowbench, but I will tell you right now that I can guarntee the signal loss is significant. Otherwise just run it and see how those cylinders closest to that bore are on plug color.
OPTION 2
Ok...now back to "redneckology" here....Call up Jegs and order a Proform body. Still send me the specs, application info, and send me that proforms airbleeds and I'll get you the "exact" airbleed numbers exchanged (no cost but shipping) sent out and they'll be a better brand of bleed.
Let me know if ya need any help. We're freaking busy over here right now so if Jaime, Steve, or I don't answer the phone leave a message.

HOSS
01-16-2004, 02:01 PM
I planned on changing the boosters. I did nick one bad. Shit, couldn`t slow down last night. Too many cokes. I need my ol` Bud Light. Will do Hot Crusader. Thanks.

Sleek-Jet
01-16-2004, 02:19 PM
See, that's what you get for doing that shit sober. :D
Hotcursader
- not to hijack HOSS's carburator mangling thread, but are the Proform bodies OK???

Hotcrusader76
01-16-2004, 03:02 PM
Yes Proform's bodies are satisfactory upgrades. But attention needs to be given to the airbleed calibrations. They are normally set for an average sea level mild motor with 250-350HP with a dual plane intake manifold. Weird I know but the calibration they use is as universal as it comes.
The boosters utilized in their bodies are Holley drop-leg versions with 0.152" boosters. 80% of the time small cubic applications may experience an over-rich condition due to this booster size but for the BB guys you should be fine.
Now with respect to dual carburetor usage, that body used in tandem with another Proform body will cause an over-rich condition for a majority of the applications out there unless you're running a moderate boost blower application.
Last week I was in Colorado Springs at the Superflow facility and had an oppurtunity to test an alcohol Proform body on a 358 Modified car's motor with a fellow competitor. Both my competitor and I are sealevel guys, and with the help of Joe Modello we enlightened to the effects of fuel distribution utilizing wetflow technology at high altitudes.
We were researching the alcohol converted Proforms at high altitudes for the Pikes Peak guys and local roundy rounds. Apparently alot of people are using the Proforms due to cost and I have more and more people ask me the very same question. The proform did hold up well, needed some extra tuning that I normally wouldn't advise a novice to perform but nonetheless it's a safe investment for $99.00
Hope that helps ya out.

Sleek-Jet
01-16-2004, 03:09 PM
Yes it does. When I get my carb body, I'll get back with ya on airbleads and such. Thanks.
And now back to the adventures of HOSS and his dremel. :D

HOSS
01-16-2004, 03:13 PM
**** that dremel.
Can`t find boosters on the Holley site. But I may just run it like it is because I wanted a tunnel ram anyway. 600 and I got 2 carbs with a tunnel. Don`t know yet. I need a job. :D
That damn wagon.

Hotcrusader76
01-16-2004, 03:32 PM
You can work for me....and you can bring your funny hat too. :D
BTW---you won't find boosters forsale anywhere. They are a controlled item among the carburetor suppliers due to liability from impromper installation. You've already reached 10....call it a day.
If ya own the installation tool you just might convince someone like Braswell Carbs to sell ya some, but good luck.
~Ty

canuck1
01-16-2004, 03:35 PM
Hey fuel injection wannabe
are you doind any imca carb stuff?

Hotcrusader76
01-16-2004, 03:54 PM
Yupp...whatcha need?

canuck1
01-16-2004, 04:03 PM
Thanks to both tracks new rules the whole gang needs new shit. Gas holley 500 2 barrels and 750's pushed to the edge of the rules of course

HOSS
01-16-2004, 05:30 PM
Ok fellas. I need to know what size these bearrings are for the cam tool. Gettin` one from the Coast Guard machine shop hopefully tomorrow. if not Monday.
Sealed Power
1414 M
F-30
bearings are stamped: SP 3361DRI 0326723
Thanks!