PDA

View Full Version : FLEXPLATE/FLYWHEEL???????

79 HUSTLER
03-20-2003, 12:34 PM
I just upgraded from a 18 jet boat to a 29ft cat and have a ???. I will be suppling the motor from my jet to go into the new boat, and here is my question. Right now I have a flexplate(I forget the brand,but I know it is SFI(?) approved and ran around $375-$400) that is hooked up to my 540" and would like to know if I need to change to a heavyduty billet flywheel so that this one does not tweek and flex since now it will be connected to the outdrive instead of a jet. Or is there not that much of a difference in rotating weight while starting an outdrive since it will not be in gear? Any help would be great.
Thanks 79 hustler

Craig
03-20-2003, 05:17 PM
Are you talking about using a flexplate, like one in an automatic tranny, or a flywheel,like one from a manual tranny car?

dorC
03-21-2003, 10:20 AM
A bravo drive will require a flywheel. This is to give enough rotational mass to keep the engine running during shifts. I can't recall for sure, but I thought that the coupler also bolted to the flywheel. Some people have gone to flexplates and although the engine lopes nicely, they generally have not been satisfied with the results.

not guilty
03-29-2003, 12:57 PM
Its also hard on the gears without the heavy flywheel to keep them from "chattering " at idle. NG