PDA

View Full Version : More bad news for Lake Mead

burtandnancy
01-16-2004, 06:29 PM
The press reported today that the Southern Nevada Water Authority wants to drop their water intakes to 1050 and 1000 feet due to the lower water levels at Lake Mead. From its current level of 1139 feet, this is another drop of 89 and 139 feet, lower than the record low of 1966/67. I can't imagine the lake that low, its serious now with many ramps already closed. There is still plenty of water in the lake, but its going to be difficult to get to it.
We may be able to go offroading in the lake bed soon.

Rexone
01-16-2004, 06:37 PM
That sucks. Pray for rain.
Can you imagine being one of the marina businesses on that lake. I wonder if they have insurance to cover stuff like this. Even the marine oriented businesses in Boulder City and Vegas have to be feeling this.

little rowe boat
01-16-2004, 06:43 PM
Pray for snow heavy snowfall in the rockies.

mtndewdrops
01-16-2004, 09:51 PM
I saw this on ColoradoRiverInfo.com...
Current Lake Powell storage is 11,359 thousand acre-feet (KAF) (47 percent of capacity). Lake Mead storage is 15,323 KAF (59 percent of capacity). Total system storage is 32,822 KAF (55 percent of capacity). Lake Powell elevation is 3,595.86 feet.
The Projected April-July forecast for the Colorado River is 7.1 million acre- feet or 90 percent of average as of January 12, 2004.
That doesn't sound too terribly bad.

mmered8299
01-17-2004, 06:42 AM
Yup, your bettor off not comming out! Its going to be to hard to launch your boat and there is too many underwater dangers!:rolleyes:

mtndewdrops
01-17-2004, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by mmered8299
Yup, your bettor off not comming out! Its going to be to hard to launch your boat and there is too many underwater dangers!:rolleyes:
Is this just a ploy to keep the lake to yourselves???

Outnumbered
01-17-2004, 10:14 AM
Just because they want to lower the intakes doesn't mean the lake will drop another 139 feet. It's probably just a precaution to make sure the water keeps flowing and reduces the risk of sucking unwanted debris into the system.
The winter has just started so lets hope the Rockies get some kick-ass storms in the next two months.
OL

burtandnancy
01-17-2004, 02:59 PM
Old Lavey, don't forget the winter 64/65 the water dropped to 1088' (51' lower than today).. The good news is by summer of 66 the water was back up to 1127. Of course in those days Las Vegas was only using about 2% of what they use today. I'm just thinking that this is going to be an interesting summer at Lake Mead and Lake Powell...

Outnumbered
01-17-2004, 03:20 PM
I'm just trying to stay positive. I am very concerned too. We are moving out to the NW valley in Phoenix and the last thing I want is to not be able to do Mead or Powell. I am excited that we will only be 5 +/- hours from Page/Powel and 4.5 +/- from Temple Bar. It would be a shame to loose the use of those lakes. I have not been to Powell for several years and need a fix.
Does any one have stats that show if the lakes are being overdrawn? What I mean is even if the rain and snow are at 100% of normal, will the lakes recover? That is the real issue. Sure we are in a drought now and it will change some day, but if the water being taken out for the explosive growth of Vegas, Phoenix, and SoCal are greater than the normal fill/intake than the lakes are doomed. Seems they are going to have to put a moratorium on building if that is the case.
OL

burtandnancy
01-17-2004, 05:24 PM
Old Lavey, I agree with you 100%. I too am staying positive and I have an added advantage: My Hallett will be on a hoist in a slip at Hemminway. But the draw down of water by Vegas is serious, they get 90% of their water from Mead, and no limits for growth are on the horizon. Unlike your new home in AZ where most of your water is drawn from wells. There's a lot of water out there, but mother nature has put it all in the east in the form of ice and snow.
We like Powell as well, but on our last trip we couldn't even get into the areas where we hiked into those beautiful slot canyons. It took us two years to get a house boat then, now they are offering great discounts and practically any date you want...

Dr. Eagle
01-17-2004, 05:42 PM
All of the various water districts that draw water from Folsom Lake here extended their intakes in the last two years. They are just making sure that if there is a bad year or two, they can continue to provide water.
Yes it is a concern. I am sure that Mead and Powell will recover sometime, but when is a good question. I do believe that the Vegas Valley water district is employing serious water conservation measures. Grass lawns are coming out all over town, and all new construction is getting water conserving fixtures (and some old facilities like Hotels are retrofitting).
Hopefully the rain and snow will fall like mad this winter and the problem will go away on its own....

Ziggy
01-19-2004, 02:22 PM
That sucks for those lakes but I agree that they are being catious about being able to retrieve/supply water with the extensions.
And we're bitchen about 5 feet down in Havasu, for repairs no less:rolleyes: . That seems to be a temporary thing but Powel and Mead have a much larger issue to overcome, and we need Mother Nature to intervene.
Can we say RainDance in Colorado/Utah.