PDA

View Full Version : Wanted Someone To Machine Two Aluminum Brackets

lakesmodified
01-17-2004, 01:09 PM
I'm in the process of building a Ford "Lakesmodified" Roadster and need one of the machinist on this board to give me a quote on machining two identical aluminum brackets for mounting my fuel tank. I will supply a wood sample(Full scale) for the actual work, but for now, you can email me at lakesmodified@yahoo.com and I'll email you some sketches of what I need in order to supply me with an estimate. Thanks, Ivan

wsuwrhr
01-17-2004, 01:43 PM
I sent you an email Lakes.
Brian

Unchained
01-18-2004, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by lakesmodified
I'll email you some sketches of what I need in order to supply me with an estimate. Thanks, Ivan
Put up a picture of your sketches.
I just got a CNC mill and a huge box of tooling and should be able to knock out some custom parts.
Mark

lakesmodified
01-18-2004, 03:04 PM
I drew up what I need, as soon as I get home from work tonight, I'll scan and post it. Thanks, Ivan

lakesmodified
01-18-2004, 05:39 PM
I will be needing two identical brackets. They need to be 1.50" thick. Of course, I could cut these out on a band saw, but I would like them machined in order to be precise, as well as a little fancy ball-milling, etc(On the sides) as you guys see fit in order to give the the "Final" custom appearance. I marked two areas "A&B" these are where I would be bolting the brackets to my frame, so they need to have a stepped hole drilled/milled in order to keep the cap bolt head under the surface of the bracket. Also, I haven't actually figured the actual hold-down for the tank itself yet. I would need a way to attach a stainless strap at either side of each bracket in order to hold the tank in place. Each square of the graph paper represents 1 sq inch. Let the bids fly!!! Thanks in advance, Ivan
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/505/149bracket-med.JPG

wsuwrhr
01-18-2004, 09:13 PM
I got it, it will be a nice looking part. Why 1-1/2 thick though. 1" tops I think. 3/4 or 5/8 would probably be enough. I can make whatever you want. There is nothing like making something exactly like a custumer wants, and then they don't like it because it weighs a ton. The custumer is always right.
At 1-1/2 thick, off the top of my head, each part will be 2 lbs or more. Did you know aluminum weighs MORE than concrete. No shit.
I would use "flat head" cap screws, the look alot cleaner than a counterbored hole. If you make a flat area at the ends of the bracket, you can make the strap at a 90 deg angle, and hold the tank in place.
Just my .02
Brian
909-883-3739

wsuwrhr
01-18-2004, 09:16 PM
Instead of drilling the two lightening holes through the part you could make a shape through the part alot larger. I think it would be alot cleaner.
Brian

lakesmodified
01-18-2004, 09:35 PM
Brian, I have to agree with 100% about the lightning holes... A shape that follows the outside shape of the bracket would look much better. Of course I would leave that up to your eyes. The reason I was wanting ~1.5" is because the frame rail itself is 2" thick, however, it has quite a bit of radius on the edges(1/4"/side) so the 1.5" bracket would sit right on top of the frame rail where it's 1.5" wide. I was also worried about the material left after boring a 3/8" hole in a 1" wide piece of aluminum. Again, this is something we can talk about, especially if the cost is extremely higher for the 1.5" stock. What's the best time to call you? We have a two hour difference(I'm in Memphis) Thanks, Ivan

wsuwrhr
01-18-2004, 09:43 PM
I am awake right now, otherwise tommorrow after 5-6 is good.
The material isn't really a BIG consideration, but respectively speaking, TWO 3/4 plates will equal ONE 1-1/2 plate. You essentially are buying FOUR 3/4 plates. On small quanities, aluminum isn't sold on the assumption "The more you buy the better the price", it is sold by the pound. But you aren't talking a significant amount in price, at least I don't think so. I was just thinking about the finished part weight.
Look at it this way, the more weight in back, the easier to wheelie!!!!:) :) :) :) :)
Brian

superdave013
01-18-2004, 11:34 PM
why not make some angle brackets to attach to the frame and then use 3/8" to hold the tank?

lakesmodified
01-18-2004, 11:41 PM
Basically SuperDave, it has to do totally with the right LOOK. The rear end is total exposed and angle brackets would take away from the look I'm after. See attached picture of the rear of the car: Anyways, thanks for the different idea. Ivan

superdave013
01-18-2004, 11:52 PM
cool looking car that's for sure. Could do some nice blocks instead of angles too. Countersunk holes in the plate and blind tapped in the block.
Just tossing out some other options is all. I understand the LOOK thing.
Some cast Moon mounts would be more period correct if that means anything.
What ever you do please post the progress of that work of ART in the making.

lakesmodified
01-19-2004, 09:23 PM
These are the first wood prototypes that can actually hold up the tank in the position wanted. I do have another change made to this bracket that's in the latest drawing. I'll be making new wood brackets in a couple of days to match the drawing.

lakesmodified
01-19-2004, 09:23 PM
Another shot

lakesmodified
01-19-2004, 09:24 PM
Another shot

lakesmodified
01-19-2004, 09:25 PM
Brackets only

wsuwrhr
01-19-2004, 09:25 PM
Still waiting for Revision A
haha
Brian

lakesmodified
01-19-2004, 09:26 PM
Latest drawing
nope, didn't upload....

wsuwrhr
01-19-2004, 09:28 PM
latest drawing didnt work
Brian

lakesmodified
01-19-2004, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by wsuwrhr
latest drawing didnt work
Brian
Brian, sorry I didn't call tonight... Got extremely busy working on this bracket crap, and the time just flew by... I'm having trouble uploading the drawing because of it's size.... Here it is again... If this doesn't work, I'll email it to you anyways. Ivan

superdave013
01-19-2004, 09:50 PM
I'm having trouble uploading the drawing because of it's size.... Here it is again... If this doesn't work, I'll email it to you anyways. Ivan
My dial up hates you. lol
Took for ever and then I don't have an unzipper on this puter. From now on would it be ok if I just check them out here?

wsuwrhr
01-19-2004, 09:59 PM
I got your email. I sent you a reply.
Let me know what you think.
Brian