PDA

View Full Version : Out Drive Noise

SchellSchock
08-26-2002, 07:23 AM
In March of this year I took my boat in for a rattling noise coming from the out drive. The shop pulled the drive and showed me where a hole in the drive shaft bellows let water in and trashed the bearing that is on the transom side of the shield where the drive shaft goes through. They replaced and reinstalled the drive. All was well until last month. My live well pump malfunctioned and filled bilge with salt water. Level was half way up to spark plugs. I changed all fluids; oil, power steering, trim reservouir etc. >>>> My question is, could water have gotten into bellows again from inside of boat. Noise is back when I was out this weekend. If so is the drive difficult to remove so I can replace bearing. I don't want to spennd another grand if I can do it myself.
Year 2000 5.7GSi With a Duoprop.
Any info would be appreciated.

Havasu Hangin'
08-26-2002, 07:38 AM
Doesn't sound good. That gimbal bearing will go bad pretty quick when exposed to (salt) water.
The bellows keep water off the bearing from the outside, but there are no bellows on the inside- if you got water in the boat, the bearing and u-joint was probably submerged.
I've done an Alpha, but not a Volvo. However, my old Volvo is pretty simple to work on...I'm not sure about the Duoprop.
Good luck.

SchellSchock
08-26-2002, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the input. I'm pretty mechanical, build my own engines etc. I might try and if get stuck I'll just take it back to the shop in a box with a WTF look on my face. GRIN

LCexplorer
08-26-2002, 11:58 AM
The bearing is probably going bad as filling the bilge will kill a gimble bearing. There is not much protection from the inside for the bearing. The only thing you can do to prolong the replacement is to pump the gimbal full of fresh grease. It's laborius and dirty task.
If you feel the need to replace it yourself then I would see about getting the proper tools as you can screw up the gimbal bearing without even knowing it. It would probably show in the first 5 hours after install and probably take the coupler with it. The best thing take it out and go to the shop with WTF look.