PDA

View Full Version : Powdercoating or Polishing a v-drive case..

SPECTRABRENT
01-17-2004, 05:56 PM
I am reglassing my stringers and striped all the hardware from the boat. I plan on powdercoating the engine mounts and the rest of the brackets. Has anyone had this done, if so how much did it cost (powdercoat or polish the v-drive case)?
Brent

Snowboat
01-17-2004, 07:48 PM
I powder coated everything but the v drive case for $425 plus powder, $150. Make sure you find the matching touch up paint, it will chip if hit.

superdave013
01-17-2004, 07:53 PM
Brent, If you powercoat the mounting plate of a split case casale it will change the set up do to the increased thickness. Plus you can't get it very flat and it might leak.

Boatmike
01-17-2004, 07:58 PM
I have two boats and one has polished hardware and the other has powder coated hardware and i got to tell you the powder coated stuff is much easier to maintain and looks more trick in my opinion. Avenger racing products just up the road from you in Bakersfield does power coating and does a great job at a vary reasonable price. Not only that he is a fellow V-Drive boat owner and knows how to do the job right.

GofastRacer
01-17-2004, 08:29 PM
The main thing to remember about powdercoating is that it adds to the thickness of the material. If you do the v-drive plate, you need to tape it off around the cases otherwise it will not stack up right. Also you will have to round off all sharp edges because the powdercoat won't adhere to it. Another tip, whoever you have do it take a look at their work, I've seen some that had more orange peel on it than an orange, also the edges were dark and looked like a paint run!..Just things to look for!....:rolleyes:

SPECTRABRENT
01-17-2004, 09:38 PM
I have a Ace Champion v-drive has anyone every had one of those powdercoated or polished?
Brent

P-Money
01-18-2004, 05:52 AM
My v-drive cases and whirlaway are at the polisher right now. I'm getting it done super cheap. When I get it back I'll post some pics. If everything works out, I may have discovered a very good thing when it comes to polishing v-drive parts. I'll fill everyone in shortly.

BILLY.B
01-18-2004, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by SPECTRABRENT
I have a Ace Champion v-drive has anyone every had one of those powdercoated or polished?
Brent Powdercoating the case when everything else in the boats installation is also powdercoated tends to look BLAH!!!. Not enough contrast, plus it looks like you cheaped out and just spray painted the thing. Powdercoating might be cheaper, it just depends who you have doing your polishing. Just my .02.

Sangerboy
01-18-2004, 10:55 AM
Specrabrent, give Billy a call or PM, I just picked up my hardware from his shop Friday and it is totally bitchen. Very high quality and very reasonable. I'll try and post a picture of it later today. BTW Billy you never should have called me and told me the parts were ready because now, after gazing and caressing the parts yesterday I'VE GOT THE FEVER to get that boat back together and now I'll be forced to hound your ass to get it finished:D Oh well I guess there are worse things than anticipation..................

77Eliminator
01-18-2004, 08:53 PM
Before and after polishing
Before
www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/448DSC00128-med.JPG
After
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/448DSC00703-med.JPG
More afters
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/448DSC00705-med.JPG

SPECTRABRENT
01-18-2004, 09:03 PM
Your v-drive looks great!
Mine does not look as bad as your before, but its not too far behind.
How much did that polish cost?
Thanks,
Brent

77Eliminator
01-18-2004, 09:11 PM
The v-drive was $225.00. Bracket price varies by size between $25 to $40 per bracket Mag Master in Santa Ana ,

SPECTRABRENT
01-18-2004, 09:26 PM
I figured about that, I will go with the polish.
Did you have to take the v-drive apart to polish it?
Thanks,
Brent

77Eliminator
01-18-2004, 09:36 PM
I took mine apart. But they can polish it as a unit. It just makes it easier to polish between the fins without all the case bolts in the way and of course its much lighter

Sangerboy
01-18-2004, 09:55 PM
My flash isn't adequate so I'll take another pic in natural light tomorrow. But you can see a little of the color on the shaft log.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/411parts-med.jpg

77Eliminator
01-18-2004, 10:16 PM
Picture of plates and brackets installed
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/448DSC00716-med.JPG