PDA

View Full Version : Another Useless Poll. Grilling - Charcoal or Propane?

LASERRAY
01-18-2004, 02:46 PM
With spring on the way, a young man's thoughts turn to baseball,/ and a man's thoughts turn to Bar-B-Que! I'm almost positive that 110% of the people here on the Sandbar love to Grill, or as it's affectionatly known, BAR-B-Que( although it's technically grilling, just trust me on this one). So do you use A Weber Kettle, Smokey Joe, Or a Char-Broil Charcoal grill? Or do you use a Propane Grill? I've used both and prefer Charcoal. Yes it's not as convenient but who cares. It makes the roadkill more palatable:p

Interceptor454
01-18-2004, 02:54 PM
charcoal is the ONLY way to go! although not quite as convenient, by far more flav-o-flav!

Rod-64
01-18-2004, 02:55 PM
Weber with charcoal....................hands down the way to go.:)

LASERRAY
01-18-2004, 03:24 PM
I'll only use my propane grill if my charcoal grills have no more room on them, or for quickies, like if I want to cook a couple of hotdogs for lunch and don't want to fire up the charcoal just for that.

Boozer
01-18-2004, 03:31 PM
I have both and I use both.
However, I gave my vote to propane. Propane is far more convenient and easier to clean up not to mention I travel with propane. Due to all the Fire bans in the rockies by late July all state parks ban open fires including charcoal grills but permit the use of propane.
If I'm at home grillin on the patio I use charcoal and mesquite chips. You just can't beat the flavor. Most of my grilling happens when I'm camping so propane is used the most. Not to mention when I grill at home it's usually down at the pool and there's a nice giant sized natural gas grill I use down there. I think I use charcoal 3 maybe 4 times a year tops.

AZKC
01-18-2004, 03:39 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/57Jan_10002-med.jpg
Charcoal :)

Dr. Eagle
01-18-2004, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Interceptor454
charcoal is the ONLY way to go! although not quite as convenient, by far more flav-o-flav!
I agree with you on the point of Flav-O-Flav...Charcoal is far superior there.
but because of the issue of hot coals and such I have gone with Propane, used to use charcoal on the beach, but leaving the beach became an issue...
Propane grilles cool off quickly.

LASERRAY
01-18-2004, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by AZKC
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/57Jan_10002-med.jpg
Charcoal :) Nice Tip! Is that today's lunch?

AZKC
01-18-2004, 04:11 PM
Nope, file photo:cool: Thinken "yard bird" tonight. And actually prefer mesquite wood over charcoal just to lazy to go scrounge some up. Its all over the desert out here, just have to go pick it up:wink:

Interceptor454
01-18-2004, 04:19 PM
OK, so I play both sides of the fence here....
Voted charcoal, but firing up the propane grill for some nice juicy pork chops tonight!!

76BARRON
01-18-2004, 04:22 PM
I have both as well, if I need quick'n easy I go gas! but if I have some time and some people over and i want to go for the "QUALITY" then I have to go for the charcoal! hand's down!

JetBoatRich
01-18-2004, 04:53 PM
Charcoal does taste better and I use the heat bar to get them going. Lighter fluid or match light can change the taste:yuk:
I also have a tri-pod grill that goes over a campfire, which I think taste the best.
With that said, we have a Propane grill at home just for easy of use and cleaner:rolleyes:

svlperry
01-18-2004, 05:26 PM
what about natural gas

Boozer
01-18-2004, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by svlperry
what about natural gas
Tastes just like propane. All u can taste is the meat. No smoke flavor or anything. I use natural gas down at the pool and it works just fine.

Jbb
01-18-2004, 05:36 PM
Charcoal...Without question...And of course you will need a Margarita with the BBQ.....
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/181MEGARITA-med.jpg

Caribbean Jet
01-18-2004, 05:43 PM
The simplicity of propane is nice but the flavor of charcol is great.

Tolly
01-18-2004, 06:47 PM
Mesquite wood if I am grilling. Oak and or Pecan if I am cooking in the BIG smoker. Cooked five briskets and four pork shoulders yesterday for a little neighborhood get together..:D

Keithb87
01-18-2004, 07:21 PM
Char Broil and Char-coal :D :D

LASERRAY
01-18-2004, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by svlperry
what about natural gas Sorry about excluding Natural Gas, but I felt that it was close enough to propane in taste, and convienience for the poll.:cool:

NorCal Gameshow
01-18-2004, 07:27 PM
propane....for the control and ease
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/225P1010012-thumb.JPG

Kachina26
01-18-2004, 08:38 PM
I like charcoal, but usually go with gas, quick and easy! I'm thinking about getting the little gas griller that hangs off of the side of the boat. Anyone have one? Do you like it?

navycook
01-18-2004, 08:53 PM
propane....... Nothing better.... It's all in the BarBQ unit..... and the cook...

77charger
01-18-2004, 09:35 PM
somethings are better done on coals.for me ribs are one as well as a good tasting steak.But for others propane does a good job since you have good flame control.Most things i use propane

C-2
01-18-2004, 09:43 PM
I like and use both too, although I am now leaning towards propane a lot more. This is coming from a guy that owns charcoal, propane and a wood-smokin’ cue.
Too me it seems the processed charcoal these days in junk. It takes forever to come up to heat and after it does, the coals are too small and the life has been burned out of them. Cost you a godamn arm and a leg to use it too. Lump charcoal is better, but you have to keep an eye on it – lotsa maintenance to keep a steady heat.
Some of the new propane grills coming out are burning blistering hot. The Weber Genesis series are bulletproof – nice and even heat distribution, no flare ups. I’ve had my eye on the Jenn Aire model at Home Depot, but can’t spring for it just yet. I bought a “custom” grill at BBQ’s galore that in the showroom and on paper (specs) looked great. Unfortunately in the real world the grill sucks big time.
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/7704/SJY[Y-Picture_0174.JPG
This is what I’m talking about. Lump charcoal seasoned with Cherry and Hickory wood chunks for 8 hours.

miller19j
01-19-2004, 08:31 AM
Neither I only Q on Oak. Must be a Red Neck thing

Dr. Eagle
01-19-2004, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by miller19j
Neither I only Q on Oak. Must be a Red Neck thing
Do your house have wheels and your car don't???
Mow your lawn and find a car???
Grille with Oak???
;) :D

MagicMtnDan
01-19-2004, 08:43 AM
GAS (propane or natural).
Charcoal is fading (crappy charcoal quality, cost, time) while gas grills are getting better at doing the job.
Nothing beats gas - we grill many nights each week (Atkins baby!).

79Hawaiian
01-19-2004, 08:43 AM
I became enlightened a few years ago and only use mesquite charcoal. You can buy a nice big bag at Smart and Final. The heat is more mellow and you don't get the flare-ups that I used to get with gas.
Also I picked up a tip from my father inlaw, I use an electric starter. They sell them at Home Depot. It is a metal loop that you stack the charcoal on. Plug it in and in about 10 minutes you have fire! No nasty gas smell, no news paper, clean and fast.
I came across this page a few months ago. A buddy and I are planning on roasting a pig this summer.
http://www.utc.edu/simcenter/hawgs/images/pigs_grate1-logos.gif (http://www.utc.edu/simcenter/hawgs/)
Click image for page

Hud
01-19-2004, 09:26 AM
Charcoal is the only to go! Kung Fu mushrooms are ever so good!http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/119kUNG_fU_copy-med.JPG

Dr. Eagle
01-19-2004, 09:31 AM
A few years ago when my son got married, we had a little pool party and Q. It was about 109 outside and still as I have ever seen it. I sent my son to the store to get the good old Kingsford Charcoal. He came home with some sort of wood cubes (mesquite or hickory), that were designed for smoke/flavor and that was all I had to use.
There was a hell of a low level inversion, and like I said it was still as it could be. I fired up the Q and it smoked so bad and just hung there that the whole block got smogged up, and eventually someone called the Fire Department.
I heard the sirens coming and thought....nahhhh...then they got closer and closer....nahhhh....then they stopped out front.
The firemen came to the fence, looked over and saw what it was and asked it they could have some... Needless to say, they all got burgers....:o

LASERRAY
01-19-2004, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
A few years ago when my son got married, we had a little pool party and Q. It was about 109 outside and still as I have ever seen it. I sent my son to the store to get the good old Kingsford Charcoal. He came home with some sort of wood cubes (mesquite or hickory), that were designed for smoke/flavor and that was all I had to use.
There was a hell of a low level inversion, and like I said it was still as it could be. I fired up the Q and it smoked so bad and just hung there that the whole block got smogged up, and eventually someone called the Fire Department.
I heard the sirens coming and thought....nahhhh...then they got closer and closer....nahhhh....then they stopped out front.
The firemen came to the fence, looked over and saw what it was and asked it they could have some... Needless to say, they all got burgers....:o That's a Funny story Doc! I also have a charcoal smoker that I'll use on occasion for Ham, turkey, ribs etc. And as you know, ideal conditions for a smoker is low to no wind( keeps the smoker hotter that way). So I usually only use it on a calm day. So I'll light the coals, and I'll be goddammed if the wind doesen't pick-up as soon as the coals catch fire! Happens everytime!:mad: WTF!!!!:D So needless to say it ends-up taking twice as long to smoke the meat not to mention the bonus charcoal that needs to be added to maintain temp. :mad: The final product is worth the hassle though.:smilespi: :smilespi: :smilespi:

Hud
01-19-2004, 09:57 AM
Dr Eagle, good story! The same thing has happen to me twice in the last 20 years. :D