PDA

View Full Version : ReChroming

SANGER-RICH
01-18-2004, 03:47 PM
Where and who does the most reasonable ReChroming of aluminum, or can the chrome be stripped off the aluminum and polished
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1247Image6.JPG

Kim Hanson
01-18-2004, 08:04 PM
That can be just polished, send it in come's back like new! I have had bumpers rechromed and they come back nice.....polishing is cheaper also....I don't know where you would look, for a good one down there...........( . )( . )........I have sent in stuff and got it done in Brass, come's back looking like 24crt. Gold !

BILLY.B
01-20-2004, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by SANGER-RICH
Where and who does the most reasonable ReChroming of aluminum, or can the chrome be stripped off the aluminum and polished
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1247Image6.JPG What are you wanting to re-chrome?. All's I see is a unpolished v-drive and the v-drive supports that were at one time polished. If you want you can polish the v-drive and the supports again, and then have the support stuff clear anodized. It just makes the maintenance alot easier.

SANGER-RICH
01-20-2004, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by BILLY.B
All's I see is a unpolished v-drive and the v-drive supports that were at one time polished. .
The v-drive supports were chromed at one time and it is peeling, plus the rudder supports as well, If were polishing that would not be a problem but the peeling chrome looks like crap.:(

GofastRacer
01-20-2004, 06:20 PM
Strip the chrome, polish it and get it annoed!..:cool:

SANGER-RICH
01-20-2004, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by GofastRacer
Strip the chrome, polish it and get it annoed!..:cool:
How do I get the chrome off????????????????????????:confused: :confused: :confused:

Oldsquirt
01-20-2004, 06:58 PM
Rich, the best way to get the chrome off is the same way it was put on ----- by a plating shop. They will remove it electro-chemically. If you don't have one near you, check for a bumper repair shop, they should be able to help you as well.
Some people will tell you to sand or grind it off, but that will cause damage to the part in question, so I would highly advise against it.
The last plating shop I dealt with was about 7-8 years ago. They were associated with Brizio's Street Rods and were located in Colma behind the old Champion Speed Shop. Don't know if they are still there, though.

SANGER-RICH
01-20-2004, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by OLDSQUIRT
Rich, the best way to get the chrome off is the same way it was put on ----- by a plating shop. They will remove it electro-chemically. If you don't have one near you, check for a bumper repair shop, they should be able to help you as well.
Some people will tell you to sand or grind it off, but that will cause damage to the part in question, so I would highly advise against it.
The last plating shop I dealt with was about 7-8 years ago. They were associated with Brizio's Street Rods and were located in Colma behind the old Champion Speed Shop. Don't know if they are still there, though.
Thanks I thought about that but most the chrome places wwent out of business of chrome work and are only doing plastic bumpers because of the Hazzardious waste.

Oldsquirt
01-20-2004, 07:44 PM
Yep, well aware of the hazardous waste issue causing many to quit the business. I'd still check the yellow pages under "plating", though. Found about a dozen listings in the Northern Contra Costa county phone book. Most, but not all, are out of the immediate area, though.
I'd also give Brizio's a call to see who he recommends.
650-952-7637

DaveA
01-20-2004, 09:36 PM
Seein' as how I live on the Right Coast, I don't know much about the logistics out there, but you could call Paul Shafer, owner of PlateCorp- he does hundreds of wheels for the aftermarket and OEM trade industry weekly- I think he's in Orange Co. someplace- www.platecorp.com
Also another joint called ChromaTech is out there somewhere-
we've used them before too, and they did fine.
Both of these guys can strip/polish/rechrome.

Heatseeker
01-20-2004, 09:55 PM
Rich you could try High Lustre Chrome in Hayward or Delta Plating in Stockton. Sorry, I don't have the numbers handy(if you want, I'll look them up and PM them to you). I recently had High Luster do a cam cover for a sportster and it came out real nice. Expensive, but nice.
Delta gave me a phone quote for some other stuff. They seem reasonable, but I haven't had the parts done yet, so I can't comment on their quality.