PDA

View Full Version : Any Aluminum boats out there?

fullwood
01-18-2004, 05:36 PM
I just had mine built and want any advice on rigging or tricks to help the project along? Here's a pic with it upside down getting the intake setup!! Any cool ideas would be appreciated!!

Clown
01-18-2004, 06:15 PM
Hey FUUL OF WOOD:D
Wheir did you get that hull from The Old man is still looking to Purchase an Aluminum tunnel 19'

fullwood
01-18-2004, 06:52 PM
it is my bottom design and i just paid a guy that has built smaller sprint boats to weld and fabricate the boat. the design is nothing new to glass boat guys but i don't know if it has ever been tried in a aluminum boat so i thought i would go for it.

quiet riot
01-18-2004, 07:27 PM
fullwood, put a blown alum v-8 in it and have a blast!:D
Whatcha plan on doing with it? If you're interested in seeing what I've done with mine (including the numerous mistakes:wink: ) you're welcome to come see mine sometime. I'm on the west side of portland in aloha. They're alot of fun, and time depending on what you want to put in it.
good luck,
jd
Just realized you're on the east side of Wa, but I make it over to home (idaho) a couple times a year.

fullwood
01-18-2004, 08:18 PM
I want to put a small block 400 chevy with a weiand 177 blower mechanical roller can and AFR 220cc heads, dan olsen pan. i just started rigging everything so i can tear it back apart and paint it. Any ideas on trick rigging stuff like cowls hinges, water dumps or anything would help. i will be running the snake and salmon(maybe) rivers with it just for pleasure. tell me about yours!

quiet riot
01-18-2004, 11:34 PM
I'll see if I can get some time to take some pic's tommorrow and show you some of the stuff I've done. Got a new motor for it, just getting ready to get some new pump parts to handle the new hp, within a few weeks, hopefully.
I originally built mine as a senior project in college. Its 17ft 10", and basically a stretched jetsprint. I worked with a manufacturer in building the shell and then went from there, kinda sounds like what you're doing. I went thru and changed a lot of stuff and refinished it a year ago.
I worked at a marina when going to school so it was kinda a natural fit to go along with my manufacturing eng schooling. Mine's just mainly a play toy for skiing and such. Run a river here and there.
I used some spring loaded hinges for the motor cover, nothing fancy but I wanted the hidden hinges and made the cover so I didn't have any bolts showing thru. You might want to talk to rexmarine or such if ya want some nice ones. I just welded a piece of pipe inside the transom for a water dump. I would recommend some kind of windshield/cowling if you're gonna run whitewater. I originally had a tinted plexiglass windshield butt it didn't hold up to the abuse so I made an alum one for it. You can see some pics of mine by searching the member galleries for quiet riot here on ***boat.
Let me know if there is anything else specific you want pic's of. They won't be the greatest since I use an old dig camcorder. Try and avoid welding to flat areas on the sides/top as its a bitch to keep the panels straight. I welded some tabs for attaching stuff to the inside and had a hard time getting the dimples out of the sides.
jd

Jungle Boy
01-19-2004, 07:26 AM
It's good to see another beer can boater here. Good luck with your project.

phegan
01-20-2004, 09:31 PM
well if you guys have beer cans , then mine must be a keg:D I still have a lot of welding to do
I'll try and post a photo, this is my first time and i'm new to this camera.:frown:

fullwood
01-20-2004, 09:34 PM
impresive, it looks as if that thing will free-up nicely at speed. What races are you going to be at this year, I would like to check that thing out up close if it isn't top-secret!! Ha Ha just kiddin I like anything that floats on water!!

phegan
01-20-2004, 09:36 PM
oh, i'll make the photo a little bigger, I think i have the hang of it.

phegan
01-20-2004, 09:58 PM
oh i'm hoping for about 30 +/- knt's.
rebuilt stock 460 with all the marine stuff on it. a pretty average berk jc with a "a " impeller.I have yet to put on the lifting strakes( it calles for big ones at the chine).
but , i really don't know what expect performance wise?
final fit up will be around 2500 lbs.
I came across this the othe day, i think this sums it up.....(it might be borrowed)
Welder;
Part time Hero and Cowboy Extraodinare- Singer of Sentimental Ballads- Purveyor of Shady Deals- Tar and Feathers- Fixed Races- Muggings and Manure Shoveling.
Wars fought- Wars won- Goverments over thrown- Riot started- Alligators Catrated- Bars Emptied and Virgins Converted.