PDA

View Full Version : 460 FORD Timing chain

Blade1
01-18-2004, 05:48 PM
In Nov or Dec of ***boat in jet tech they talk about how the Harmin Marine 1978, 460 bbf was detuned at the timing gear to meet emissions then it also raised exhaust temps.he talks about going to an aftermarket gear and chain to gain 35-40 HP. i need the part # for that as i have a 1978 sanger with a Harmin Marine 460. pretty damn cheap horsepower!!Thanks for any help.

victorfb
01-18-2004, 05:53 PM
you can get either a pre 1973 timing set for a 460, and/or a timing set for a 429. the 429 deal is only what ive heard so dont think its a definate deal.

Jake W
01-18-2004, 06:01 PM
Just ask for a 429 chain and gears it is what you are looking for this way it does not matter what year it is.This is what I used and it will make your old Ford more peppy.
Jake:D

mgar_red
01-18-2004, 07:07 PM
I asked my local parts guy a while back to look one up for me but a 460 didn't show for any application before '72. He did have a 429 showing, so that's the route i'll go if I find my '78 hadn't been changed over by the previous ( mechanic ) owner.
Quick ques. About how much should the dist. be retarded before starting for the first time with the new setup so that it will start? Like bring it back a quarter of an inch or so? Seeings how if it already had a retarded set on it, and a straight up gear is now put on, wouldn't that adv. the timing if the dist wasn't touched? Or is it the other way around?

Jake W
01-18-2004, 07:22 PM
I know this is going to sound stupid buy when we did mine we put it inbetwine what it called for for a 460 and 429.
But when I did mine I put a new comp cam and lifters at the same time .
It actualy started fine and then we set it with a timing light and tweked it till it was where we thought it be..And it has been fine for 4 years.Sorry no numbers my buddy helped me with mine.
Jake

Wildboats
01-18-2004, 10:32 PM
hey guys, i have a few parts for a 460 if intrested.
milidon gear drive, fits under stock cover. about 2 hrs on it.
weiand tunnel and two 660's. one season.
comp cams roller rocker set. new
comp cam's push rod set. new.
comp cam's valve spring set, new.
yes i know photos would be better, i will try to get some on here.
pm or email if you are intrested.

Jet City
01-18-2004, 10:35 PM
This has come up several times, a search will net you the Ford part number for the non-retarded early timing gear (crank gear). Most, if not all after-market timing sets are also non-retarded (most have 3 keys giving options of advance/straight-up/retard), chances are you could use a new chain by now anyway. I have an Edelbrock double roller set ($65.) which I installed on the "zero" crank key, it came within 1/4 degree of my cams intended 106 degree ICL.

roostwear
01-19-2004, 08:05 AM
Go to Summit, get their 429-460 double roller. Used them in 2 motors, no problems. As I remember they're Cloyes, but sold as the house brand.

Squirtcha?
01-19-2004, 09:06 AM
Wildboats
How much for the tunnelram?

Duane HTP
01-19-2004, 09:15 AM
Test

Wildboats
01-19-2004, 07:24 PM
$100.00 plus the shipping, I'am in calif. not including the 660's.
$250.00 plus shipping for tunnel and carb's

Jake W
01-19-2004, 08:39 PM
Dan do you want the TR if not I do.
Jake

Moneypitt
01-19-2004, 09:47 PM
mgar_red, You won't see hardly any change in initial dist setting. You are only going to advance the cam 2-4 degrees, which is 1-2 crank degrees. This change certainly doesn't require a 1/4 inch of dist movement, in fact, it should start right up without moving the dist at all. You may want to put a light on it prior to any hard running, but it'll run the way it is.............Moneypitt

Squirtcha?
01-20-2004, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by Wildboats
$100.00 plus the shipping, I'am in calif. not including the 660's.
$250.00 plus shipping for tunnel and carb's
I'd certainly be interested providing it's in useable condition. Here's my email address.
My email (danimal2@earthlink.net)

mgar_red
01-20-2004, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by Moneypitt
You may want to put a light on it prior to any hard running, but it'll run the way it is.............Moneypitt
I appreciate the response there. A buddy of mine said he had an advance adj timing light ( old school ) that he would let me borrow if I needed. Said something about just dialing in the amount to set where needed?
Not completely up on this, but I do have a good idea what he was talking about. Haven't seen him lately so he could enlighten me. Any advice on how much to "dial" it in at? Checked at idle or a certain RPM?
Thanks,
Mike

Moneypitt
01-20-2004, 10:19 PM
mgar_red, using a "dial back" type timing light allows you to bring any desired advance "back" to the zero mark on the balancer. Just set the dial to your # and it will show at the mark. This is valueable when the balancer isn't degreed beyond the stock marks. As far as where your motor should be set, well, I can give you ballpark ideas, but this is a critical part of tuning your particular set up. I can say that we run a PS boat at 37 degrees, with a locked out mag. That means 37 degrees all the time, without any advance in the mag. Your set up probably would like something in the area of 30-34 total. An inital setting of about 12-14, with 18-20 in the dist. As to WHEN this timing happens, the "curve" of the timing, I would say ALL in by 3K. These #s are a pure guess on my part, and although it will run this way, it may very well run far stronger with another setting. Remember, just a guess, as all tuning is, until a "baseline" is established, and played with..........Moneypitt