PDA

View Full Version : New guy needs some info

RexRathburn
01-19-2004, 11:30 AM
I was running my boat this weekend on Saturday for its maiden voyage at San Vicente. Also, this is my first outboard so I have a lot of learnin' to do. It's a 1995 Stoker 204 with an 3.0L Evinrude.
At 2:00 PM I could run it wide open and everything was good. At around 4:00 PM I tried to run it wide open and the damn thing would lean out real quick (the exhuast temp would shoot up). My question...is this normal? Are all outboards that sensitive or do you think there is a problem?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Tom
P.S. It put a smile on my face from ear to ear to see the faces of those fishermen when they heard and saw me comin'!

STVBOY
01-19-2004, 01:34 PM
Was the air temp alot colder at 4 than at 2? If so the colder air would cause the boat to run leaner. If you are running it in colder weather you might richen it up a bit so you don't lean it out.Just my 2 cents Thx John

RexRathburn
01-19-2004, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the reply. It was quite a bit cooler at 4 than at 2.

eliminatedsprinter
01-20-2004, 04:29 PM
I don't know the answer to your question, but that is one great looking boat.:cool:

RexRathburn
01-20-2004, 08:40 PM
Thanks eliminated. I have wanted a Stoker for a long time and I can't wait until river season! That's a damn nice lookin' clamp on you got there too.

HavasuDreamin'
01-21-2004, 01:57 PM
Unless you had a significant change in temperature, the EGT should not have shot up so much as to alarm you. Might want to check it out.

eliminatedsprinter
01-22-2004, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by RexRathburn
Thanks eliminated. I have wanted a Stoker for a long time and I can't wait until river season! That's a damn nice lookin' clamp on you got there too.
Thanks
It should look good, it's got the same deck as the stoker 20 SST. It doesn't have the tunnel bottom though, but it perfoms pretty well for the modest power that it has.:cool: Perhaps that is because it was rigged by stoker as well. Good luck with your's they are awsome rides....:D Maybe I'll see you on a lake.:cool: But you will have to be stopped, cause I won't be able to catch ya otherwise.....:cool:

jackpunx
01-22-2004, 10:44 AM
I'll catch him for ya:D
Love them Stokers:D :D

You Te
01-22-2004, 12:53 PM
Check your fuel supply. Water seperator and fuel filter. If you run ok at low RPM, then you punch it and it goes lean it's starving for fuel. If you don't have a fuel pressure guage get one. Make sure to install the sender after all the filters. Also check the fuel tank vent and the pick up.
You Te

RexRathburn
01-22-2004, 01:37 PM
Thanks You Te...I'll get to work.
Jackpunx I knew someone would bite on that last comment...:D

TOBTEK
01-23-2004, 08:20 AM
rex.....the air temp here in San Diego county will not make that big of difference. Unless it dropped to like 10 degrees in the elcajon area....I'm thinking NO. Something else is wrong. you may want to contact someone such as Dick Simon, or another good outboard tech. Not sure who is a good tech for those BOMBARDIER outboards;) :D .....Tobtek
PS: see ya at the river this year, Im assuming you are a yuma guy. Going in 6hours:D

RexRathburn
01-23-2004, 08:47 AM
Thanks Tobtek. I'm going to check out my setup and will contact Stoker before I take it out again. Alan built the boat and I'm sure he will have some insight.
I've mostly been a Blythe area/Havasu kinda guy, but would definitely like to hook up with you guys in Yuma this year!
6 hours = RexRathburn jealous of Tobtek!:p

eliminatedsprinter
01-26-2004, 01:36 PM
He just wants to have as many Stokers around him as he can, so we can have someone else to beg for rides from, besides him, for a change.;)
You are smart to go to Stoker and have it checked out before you run it again. I took a small risk and ran my rig after it appeared to have a small problem and now it's costing me over 7 Gs for a new powerhead and flywheel, etc...:eek:

racer
02-01-2004, 08:40 PM
Sounds like a fuel valve that stuck before it switched all the way over, try moving the switch back and forth a few times.
Al Stoker

HavasuDreamin'
02-02-2004, 06:12 AM
The man himself. Good to see you found your way over to the boards Al.
HD

RexRathburn
02-02-2004, 07:50 AM
Thanks Al, I'll check it out next time I have it on the water...hopefully soon!

eliminatedsprinter
02-02-2004, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by racer
Sounds like a fuel valve that stuck before it switched all the way over, try moving the switch back and forth a few times.
Al Stoker
Welcome to the boards. :D :D
I called your shop shortly after my powerhead died. I don't know who I spoke with, but he was very helpful.:cool: Thanks.:D

jackpunx
02-03-2004, 09:15 AM
LOL... Congrats on the new ride!.. I love my stoker.. Its defiantly a drivers boat.. You will really enjoy yours and Al and his family give great support. Hopefully we can get together this summer. Or this March up at Ellsinore, or April at the BBSP
Mark

RexRathburn
02-03-2004, 10:07 AM
For sure Mark. I will let you know the next time I am taking it out so we can hook up. Elsinore in March sounds about right to me.