PDA

View Full Version : Rub Rail Replacement?

Wet Dream
01-19-2004, 06:51 PM
I'm going to do a rub rail replacement this spring and I'm debating on the best way to remove and replace the pop rivets.
What is the best way to remove the old ones? It seems like pulling them through only makes the holes larger, which brings me to the next step...
While these are drilled right in the seam where the topside is glassed to the hull, should I fill each old hole with resin and drill new holes and rivet them in? I don't want to have to worry about having the topside weaken or come loose with too many holes.

BrendellaJet
01-19-2004, 07:04 PM
why dont you drill out all the rivets and just reuse the holes again. Drilling them out should just break them apart, not make the hole bigger.

sidewound
01-19-2004, 07:12 PM
If they are 1/8" rivets just drill'em with an 1/8" bit. Sometimes they'll spin and ya hafta grab'em with some vicegrips on the back side. The head will drop off and they come right out.
Peace Man:cool:
CESAR

460rogers
01-19-2004, 07:13 PM
DITTO drill em out you may have to only reglass the stubborn ones.

Chris J
01-19-2004, 07:31 PM
Not to hi-jack your post, but where is a good place to get Rub Rail, what type works and looks best?

jetboater5
01-19-2004, 08:04 PM
Just drill them out with the same size bit reuse the same holes no harn done to the seam.
To purchase new rub rail you should look for a local supplier as it is so long very costly to ship:wink:

Jake W
01-19-2004, 08:26 PM
Like these guys said just drill them out then push them through to the inside of the hull.You do not have to worrie about using the same holes if you can great if not there is no need to worrie just silicone up the old ones and redrill the new ones it is not going to hurt it at all.
Here is one trick when bending it around the transom and nose put a pice of the incert in the rail and use a rubber mallet to hammer it around it works great and wont flaten it out .
I know one thing it has to be trucked in and it cost a shit load for fright.If you get it ups that means they will chop every pice in half and that will make a lot of joints(that sucks).
Good luck I have been lucky and bought mine from LCK Marine in OKC Dan orders it a few kits at a time so it cuts down on shipping.I have bought three sets from him and not payed for shipping once.Thanks Dan
Jake

Chris J
01-20-2004, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Jake W
I have been lucky and bought mine from LCK Marine in OKC Dan orders it a few kits at a time so it cuts down on shipping.I have bought three sets from him and not payed for shipping once.Thanks Dan
Jake
That figures, I just got back to MN from OKC Friday night, pulling an empty 40ft trailer. :(