PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha 230 jet owners?

Outnumbered
03-26-2006, 09:00 PM
I've been looking at some used family boats in the $25k range and the Yamaha looks like a sweet boat for the $$. The boat is actually very roomy and pretty well laid-out. The swim step is awesome.
I noticed a few HB members have these. I have checked out the yamahajetboats forums and these people all seem to be pretty happy. I was wondering if you guys are happy with your purchase? I would expect to get a more candid answer here than on the Yamaha forum.
Here is my feedback after lake testing a 230 boat today at the Lake Pleasant boat show (2006 AR230/same as 2004 230):
The boat is pretty solid but very light. I found that it is like a cork in a washing machine--it seems to bob and roll so much that it is annoying. This was true when floating or docked in semi-rough water. There were a lot of boats out today which gave some good rough test water.
It planes out well and handles chop pretty well for the most part. The ride is not harsh for the boat size and weight. The problem I had was probably typical of jet boats in that it tracks like shit both slow and fast speeds. In doubled-up wakes (multi-direction wakes) it would bob and bounce off track so bad that I felt that I could not control the boat's direction--even under throttle.
There is a Cobrajet steering fin system that is basically a 4 rudder system that seems to be an improvement but not all seem 100% satisfied with the upgrade.
The idea of a 2004 23' boat with 30 hours for $23k sounded pretty good until I drove this thing. I think I will go back to looking for a good used quality performance boat unless you 230 owners think that getting the steering upgrade and getting used to the boat is worth trying.

Jordy
03-26-2006, 09:02 PM
One of my buddies has one, and I gotta tell you, that boat is like a jet ski on the water. It gets on plane quick, but is light, and at 50mph you can crank it and swap ends violently. Last time we were out on his, I came back bruised and sans cell phone. It will run all summer long on a tank of fuel, but performance wise, I think there is better out there. It is a fun little boat though.

Outnumbered
03-26-2006, 09:09 PM
One of my buddies has one, and I gotta tell you, that boat is like a jet ski on the water. It gets on plane quick, but is light, and at 50mph you can crank it and swap ends violently. Last time we were out on his, I came back bruised and sans cell phone. It will run all summer long on a tank of fuel, but performance wise, I think there is better out there. It is a fun little boat though.
Ya, the knuckelhead test driver didn't tell us he was going to spin the thing and threw my wife across the back seat and she got banged up pretty good. Landed on top of the kids :mad:
I am just wondering if I'm being too picky. Its tough to compare after driving the Ultra. Kids love the boat and the whole fam loves the room and the swim step. Seems like a deal for $23k less than a year old. I was all good to go until I drove it. The rough water tracking is terrible.

marty722
03-26-2006, 09:11 PM
caribbean jet i think he owns one....

jbtrailerjim
03-26-2006, 09:16 PM
I'd rather spend a little more money and buy something like this (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97263). Look's like a nice boat. It's been on here for sale for a while and I bet he would come down some more on the price.

Outnumbered
03-26-2006, 09:21 PM
I'd rather spend a little more money and buy something like this (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97263). Look's like a nice boat. It's been on here for sale for a while and I bet he would come down some more on the price.
Problem with the Cole is it is not a rough water boat. I would rather be in the deep-V Yamaha than the cole in any big water. Last time I was at Lake Mohave I watched a guy stuff his Cole in 3' chop--no fun. I was thinking late 90's 21' Lavey if I step up to $29k, way more boat than the Cole. But yes, I think you are on the right track.

shueman
03-26-2006, 10:00 PM
Great boat for the money.... :cool:
These guys like 'em.....Yamaha Jet Boaters (http://yamahajetboaters.com/forum/index.php)

Jyruiz
03-26-2006, 10:15 PM
I like the room and swim step on the Yamaha as well. Stoneman has one, he is a member here, and has one with the the steering rudders on his boat, you might want to PM him and get his input.

Outnumbered
03-26-2006, 10:19 PM
Great boat for the money.... :cool:
These guys like 'em.....Yamaha Jet Boaters (http://yamahajetboaters.com/forum/index.php)
Ya, I know. But you generally don't go to the fan club website to get the contrasting view. Can you elaborate on what you think of the boat? Is it you first boat? Have you ever owned an I/O or OB? Did you buy the Cobra steering? Thanks for the reply. I'm just not really sold on these things but I do see the value.

Outnumbered
03-26-2006, 10:26 PM
I like the room and swim step on the Yamaha as well. Stoneman has one, he is a member here, and has one with the the steering rudders on his boat, you might want to PM him and get his input.
Done, thanks.

Jordy
03-26-2006, 11:06 PM
The rough water tracking is terrible.
I took the helm for a while cruising around Humbug and up beyond the normal tie up points and forgot how much work it was to drive a jet boat. It was a handful, granted it didn't have any rudders, but it had been a while since I had to actively chase the bow of a boat while under power. Just a whole different experience, even compared to my old 19' jet. There are some cool things, like the low table you can setup in the back and the seats built into the transom step. Don't want people to think I'm being all negative, and shit...
Oh, and my giant bruises are gone from the last end swapping trip out... Guess they're pretty unsinkable though. My buddy ended up in a big hole at Pleasant and had about a foot of water in the footwell and the boat kept going. Bilges handled it all.

Flying Tiger
03-27-2006, 02:37 AM
They go in the ocean with no problem, but living in AZ you probably won't be doing that.
The few I know of take them to Catalina regularly, ocean fish off them, dive off them ect.
I've owned 4 twin engine jets, and they are slippery to handle at first, but ya get a feel and a head for them, and they are pretty good.
The Yamaha weed removeal system is good, you'll need it in Parker, you'll be sucking up weeds constantly,, in the ocean it'll be kelp. They're giant vaccum cleaners.
Fun to take through Blacks Canyon at full throttle (downstream Boulder dam), or the mad river No Cali because of the very shallow draft, and they pull a tube or wakeboarder with no problem.
We checked out the near similar new Sea Doo 20' Speedster with the twin turbo 240 HP aftercooled, heat exchanger cooling for channel crossings.
They're dune buggies of the waves, and if comfort is the plan, ya need to go heavier.
Used is not a bad idea,, they take a beating in resale when ya buy them new.

Outnumbered
03-27-2006, 05:53 AM
Thanks for all the replies. Ya Jordy, that about sums it up--its a lot of work to drive the thing. The last jet I drove was my buddies 78 Sanger Super Jet with a 454 and it was easier to handle, granted it was on the river and not in bad chop. I'm hoping to get a little feedback on the rudder fins. Most peeps on the Yamaha boards liked them but some were not impressed.

FREIND OF AA AND TA
03-27-2006, 06:34 AM
I have an 06 ar 230 ho. I bought it for the same reason you are speaking of. I love it. I have takin it out in the ocean and lake. I like the ride and have no idea what tracking problem you are talking about. I hate the steering at low speeds but the pros outway the cons. I just put the Cobra steering on and can't wait to try it. I hear it will steer just as good as a drive boat. I think it is a quick fix for your traking feel too. If you find that bout for 23 grand buy it!!! I paid well into the 30's.

Outnumbered
03-27-2006, 07:03 AM
I have an 06 ar 230 ho. I bought it for the same reason you are speaking of. I love it. I have takin it out in the ocean and lake. I like the ride and have no idea what tracking problem you are talking about. I hate the steering at low speeds but the pros outway the cons. I just put the Cobra steering on and can't wait to try it. I hear it will steer just as good as a drive boat. I think it is a quick fix for your traking feel too. If you find that bout for 23 grand buy it!!! I paid well into the 30's.
Thanks for the reply. Have you had the boat in any rough water? I am talking 2' or better chop with rollers coming in from more than one direction. I was actually really impressed on the test drive at how the boat took some of the larger rollers. It was just one section of "washing machine" churned up water right in front of the marina where boats were going in all directions. I was cruising about 35 mph. We had 4 adults and 2 kids in the boat. When I hit this one section the boat bounced all over, changing course on its own with me fighting to correct and keep a semi-straight line, and at one point I felt as if I had little control. I really had to fight to keep my course and it was a very uneasy feeling. I guess that was the point where I had some real doubts because we will primarily be using this boat at Mead.

BoatPI
03-27-2006, 08:07 AM
I have a 02' LS200. It is a great boat, comfortable, nothing extra to buy except for the Cobra steering. At speeds below 20 mph, it does not turn quick, and that will be cured. The cost to operate is less than anything i have owned, and it has a self bailing cockpit like the 23' models. Last year I got caught in close to 3' wind sweels returning from up river. I launch at hte Windsor jet ramp ,so it was a slow 10 mph run back, but I stayed fairly dry. No stress cracks. Mine is a twin 2 stroke, but the 4 strokes are incredible. I have been from Havasu o Harrah's and back. Quite a ride! These boats have few flaws. And I agree, buy a 1 or 2 year old model.

frdvschvy
03-27-2006, 08:55 AM
Problem with the Cole is it is not a rough water boat. I would rather be in the deep-V Yamaha than the cole in any big water. Last time I was at Lake Mohave I watched a guy stuff his Cole in 3' chop--no fun. I was thinking late 90's 21' Lavey if I step up to $29k, way more boat than the Cole. But yes, I think you are on the right track.
Picked up our low hour 1997 21 Lavey XCS for $24,500. This boat handles the rough water very well, and feels like a much bigger boat. Just drop the throttle to the pins, and it dances right over everthing. Plus it has tons of room under the bow (Stabbin Cabin :) ). Definitely a lot of boat for the money.
Not sure the Yamaha would be much better in the rough stuff than the Cole. I would be concerned with the fact that the Yamaha does not track well. You mentioned yourself that it felt out of control. That would worry me. The last thing I would want is to not be in control of my boat.

NautiTwins
03-27-2006, 10:03 AM
Step up to a Lavey from a COLE. LMAO> You may need to ride in both before you make that statement.

FREIND OF AA AND TA
03-27-2006, 10:24 AM
I just talked to my freind with Cobra and he said consider your tracking issue gone and the boat handles better than any stern drive. Again I can't wait to try my new steering.

2Driver
03-27-2006, 10:56 AM
John,
Based on what you are used to I'm not sure you would be happy with it. If all you did was run the upper river by Avi and Laughlin I'd say get it. But lake stuff will kick your family around especially on Mead. To me they don't see to have the hull strength or weight. I am surprised Jordy said MPG was good as I have heard the opposite although I am sure there is a big diff in the 4 vs 2 storke.
Right before we had our son I sold the Advantage and bought a twin engine Sea-doo boat to goof off in for a few months before summer ended. Let's just say it was fun but I could have gotten it out of my system by renting one twice :rollside: If the sea-doo are like the Yam boats just try to find someone who is really good at working on it or doing warranty work. Pretty frustrating
Fun boat as a rental or if your buddy has one but as a full time family boat on the lake, I don't think you'll be happy.

cxr133
03-27-2006, 11:57 AM
quickly.. heading out to lunch.....
we had ours out at Mohave, Havasu, Mead, Parker and Big River all last summer. we spent a month on vacation so we hit all these lakes between june 30th and july 31st.
GREAT fun boat.... handles all the above mentioned lakes well even on windy days.
my only complaint is that top end leaves much more to be desired. but for the price.. size... i dont think it can be beat.
BUT that being said a windy day at Havasu w/ all these BIG ASS BOATS blowing by you sometimes it can get a little squirmy.. we just slowed down a bit and we were fine. Slow speed handling is greatly improved w/ the cobra steering fins

Jyruiz
03-27-2006, 12:03 PM
John,
Based on what you are used to I'm not sure you would be happy with it. If all you did was run the upper river by Avi and Laughlin I'd say get it. But lake stuff will kick your family around especially on Mead. To me they don't see to have the hull strength or weight. I am surprised Jordy said MPG was good as I have heard the opposite although I am sure there is a big diff in the 4 vs 2 storke.
Right before we had our son I sold the Advantage and bought a twin engine Sea-doo boat to goof off in for a few months before summer ended. Let's just say it was fun but I could have gotten it out of my system by renting one twice :rollside: If the sea-doo are like the Yam boats just try to find someone who is really good at working on it or doing warranty work. Pretty frustrating
Fun boat as a rental or if your buddy has one but as a full time family boat on the lake, I don't think you'll be happy.
I have been on a lot of SeaDoo boats, (my cousin owns a SeaDoo Challenger 2000) and they don't heve the craftsmanship or reliability of the Yamaha 230 has.

Jyruiz
03-27-2006, 12:05 PM
quickly.. heading out to lunch.....
we had ours out at Mohave, Havasu, Mead, Parker and Big River all last summer. we spent a month on vacation so we hit all these lakes between june 30th and july 31st.
GREAT fun boat.... handles all the above mentioned lakes well even on windy days.
my only complaint is that top end leaves much more to be desired. but for the price.. size... i dont think it can be beat.
BUT that being said a windy day at Havasu w/ all these BIG ASS BOATS blowing by you sometimes it can get a little squirmy.. we just slowed down a bit and we were fine. Slow speed handling is greatly improved w/ the cobra steering fins
I have never been into top end, speed is nice, but I like to enjoy the sights, and if you go to fast, you miss out on a lot.

Stoneman
03-27-2006, 12:15 PM
I got my 230 last year in april. So far the boat is everything I expected.
Prior to this boat I owned a mariah 21ft deck boat. It was a good boat too.
Here is what I like.
Easy maintenance. Oil change and lube some parts and that's it.
Boat is well built. not one crack, can't say that for my other boat.
very roomy, holds 10 but 8 is better.
handles chop much better than other boat.
Best part is the transom seats.
I've added the fins and they make a big difference at slow speeds. It took some getting used too, but it's not hard, just have to practice.
Gas mileage is very close to last boat with 5.7L bravo 3 outdrive.
What I don't like.
Dealership screwed some stuff up. Told me they were sorry and said problems at service dept. have been fixed. I don't like the fact I have to take it to a yamaha dealership but they are the only game in town.
Depth finder is intermittent. Dealership is looking into the problem for me. We'll see what they say.
The trailer is a rather cheap. and the winch just plain sucks.
All things considered, it is a very good boat for the money. It will take sometime to learn how to operate as well as an I/O but with practice it's not too bad. I have screwed up a couple of times trying to get it on the trailer but I'm sure it wasn't because of the beer I was drinking. :rolleyes:

Outnumbered
03-27-2006, 01:06 PM
Step up to a Lavey from a COLE. LMAO> You may need to ride in both before you make that statement.
How do you know what I have ridden in? I have rode and DRIVEN both. Actually owned a Lavey at one time too. The Cole Nighthawk is a great river boat and very well built, but it does not have the freeboard or rough water hull design that a Lavey 21' NuEra has. They are two totally different boats. Both are quality. I would take a Lavey 21' to Catalina, even in an open bow config. You would be a fool to take a Cole open bow Nighthawk to Catalina. I never bashed the Cole, just said its not for the rough stuff.
A picture is worth a 1000 words. Look at the freeboard on these two mid 1990's 21 foot boats. The Cole bow is at least 18" closer to the water:
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/3160IMG_0390.jpg
http://images.traderonline.com/img/6/plcnad/4453150/83322860_1.jpg

Outnumbered
03-27-2006, 01:07 PM
Picked up our low hour 1997 21 Lavey XCS for $24,500. This boat handles the rough water very well, and feels like a much bigger boat. Just drop the throttle to the pins, and it dances right over everthing. Plus it has tons of room under the bow (Stabbin Cabin :) ). Definitely a lot of boat for the money.
Not sure the Yamaha would be much better in the rough stuff than the Cole. I would be concerned with the fact that the Yamaha does not track well. You mentioned yourself that it felt out of control. That would worry me. The last thing I would want is to not be in control of my boat.
Yes, the Lavey 21' is what I really want. But you got a great deal and they go close to $30 now. Thanks.

Outnumbered
03-27-2006, 01:08 PM
I got my 230 last year in april. So far the boat is everything I expected.
Prior to this boat I owned a mariah 21ft deck boat. It was a good boat too.
Here is what I like.
Easy maintenance. Oil change and lube some parts and that's it.
Boat is well built. not one crack, can't say that for my other boat.
very roomy, holds 10 but 8 is better.
handles chop much better than other boat.
Best part is the transom seats.
I've added the fins and they make a big difference at slow speeds. It took some getting used too, but it's not hard, just have to practice.
Gas mileage is very close to last boat with 5.7L bravo 3 outdrive.
What I don't like.
Dealership screwed some stuff up. Told me they were sorry and said problems at service dept. have been fixed. I don't like the fact I have to take it to a yamaha dealership but they are the only game in town.
Depth finder is intermittent. Dealership is looking into the problem for me. We'll see what they say.
The trailer is a rather cheap. and the winch just plain sucks.
All things considered, it is a very good boat for the money. It will take sometime to learn how to operate as well as an I/O but with practice it's not too bad. I have screwed up a couple of times trying to get it on the trailer but I'm sure it wasn't because of the beer I was drinking. :rolleyes:
Thanks for all of your input.

2Driver
03-27-2006, 01:17 PM
Yes, the Lavey 21' is what I really want. But you got a great deal and they go close to $30 now. Thanks.
And the next one that comes up and is a good deal will be sold and in my driveway before you have time to see it :) :rollside:

Outnumbered
03-27-2006, 01:29 PM
And the next one that comes up and is a good deal will be sold and in my driveway before you have time to see it :) :rollside:
I thought you were looking at the 24' ?

2Driver
03-27-2006, 01:54 PM
I thought you were looking at the 24' ?
I called within 2-3 days of it hitting the trader. A guy showed up 2 hours after I called and bought it. I couldn't even get on a plane that fast. It was in Huntington Beach. I would rather have the '21 but it was such a great deal and that is what comes first. case in point, look whats in my driveway now.

NautiTwins
03-27-2006, 02:04 PM
How do you know what I have ridden in? I have rode and DRIVEN both. Actually owned a Lavey at one time too. The Cole Nighthawk is a great river boat and very well built, but it does not have the freeboard or rough water hull design that a Lavey 21' NuEra has. They are two totally different boats. Both are quality. I would take a Lavey 21' to Catalina, even in an open bow config. You would be a fool to take a Cole open bow Nighthawk to Catalina. I never bashed the Cole, just said its not for the rough stuff.
A picture is worth a 1000 words. Look at the freeboard on these two mid 1990's 21 foot boats. The Cole bow is at least 18" closer to the water:
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/3160IMG_0390.jpg
http://images.traderonline.com/img/6/plcnad/4453150/83322860_1.jpg
What I said must have come off wrong! Both of those are very nice boats. The COLE is prettier. The lakes mentioned where powell, mead, havi. Not the Big Blue. I just think comparing the COLE nighthawk to a Yamaha is a little far fetched. Dont you think! I think that COLE is for sale in Parker???

Outnumbered
03-27-2006, 02:56 PM
What I said must have come off wrong! Both of those are very nice boats. The COLE is prettier. The lakes mentioned where powell, mead, havi. Not the Big Blue. I just think comparing the COLE nighthawk to a Yamaha is a little far fetched. Dont you think! I think that COLE is for sale in Parker???
I guess it did, sorry. But keep in mind I never brought the Cole into the thread. I would never consider it for my use. Like I said, the boat is a great river boat. I was using the ocean as an extreme example to prove a point when you implied that the Lavey is a step down from the Cole.

Her454
03-27-2006, 03:21 PM
Guess they're pretty unsinkable though.
I remember someone else saying that about another boat once. I think they called it the "Titanic". :rollside: