PDA

View Full Version : Help! Procharger or Whipple

MASTERKENDOG
01-20-2004, 02:09 PM
I know this sorta thing has been around before, but how much$$$?
So, how much $$$ we talking fer a full install on the Procharger and how much fer the Whipple? And who do you recommend for the Procharger and the Whipple install? Let me kno' fo' sho'.
MKD.

hbhallett
01-20-2004, 03:26 PM
Go with whipple -
Procharger customer support is exasperating, frustrating, and they don't care about their customers or the issues they encounter - this is if you ever get to talk to them after they make you wait on the phone until you have a gray beard that reaches the floor. I was once a good looking brown haired man until I got a Procharger and needed customer service. You wouldn't recognize me today after all I've had to put up with -

MASTERKENDOG
01-20-2004, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by hbhallett
Go with whipple -
Procharger customer support is exasperating, frustrating, and they don't care about their customers or the issues they encounter - this is if you ever get to talk to them after they make you wait on the phone until you have a gray beard that reaches the floor. I was once a good looking brown haired man until I got a Procharger and needed customer service. You wouldn't recognize me today after all I've had to put up with -
Damn! That sucks! So, ehh, how much fer the install?

gmocnik
01-20-2004, 04:45 PM
if you are in cucamonga, go no further than gt performance in montclair for a whipple. gary has been doing whipples for a long time and knows the setup well. in fact, i'll bet you can get a smokin deal on my 2.3 carb setup i just had gary take off. i am going to something bigger in the whipple family....:)

MASTERKENDOG
01-20-2004, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by gmocnik
if you are in cucamonga, go no further than gt performance in montclair for a whipple. gary has been doing whipples for a long time and knows the setup well. in fact, i'll bet you can get a smokin deal on my 2.3 carb setup i just had gary take off. i am going to something bigger in the whipple family....:)
Coo'!! Thanks fer the info! No carb, got the 496HO!
How much to install a Whipple or procharger!!!!!!!! That's the real question here for me!!!!!! C'mon somebody!!! How much $$$!!!

phuggit
01-20-2004, 05:31 PM
MKD
If your mechanically inclined, the Whipple system comes with very well written installation directions. Installing the system yourself can save you sum $$$. My brother and I installed one in about 12 hours.
Good luck.

MASTERKENDOG
01-20-2004, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by phuggit
MKD
If your mechanically inclined, the Whipple system comes with very well written installation directions. Installing the system yourself can save you sum $$$. My brother and I installed one in about 12 hours.
Good luck.
Do you mean use a wrench? No way, I gotta pay!!!!
Thanks for the info though!!!
MKD.

riverliver
01-20-2004, 06:29 PM
gt performance is the only way to go...

twistedpair
01-20-2004, 06:49 PM
Seems like the jury is still out regarding whether or not the 496HO can handle a supercharger. There has been a lot of talk about the internals of the engine not being up to the task. You might post your question in the Blower Motor forum for more info. Or PM Whipplecharged (Dustin Whipple), he is on the boards from time to time.
Kiss your warranty goodbye with any mods you make.

Well Done
01-20-2004, 08:52 PM
I'll agree with hbhallett. I had the same experience with Procharger. Had Infomaniac (Blower Motor Moderator) install a quad rotor whipple. It makes awesome power. Did I mention it looks Sweet!! My advice.....go whipple. :D

BoatFloating
01-20-2004, 09:05 PM
I have a Procharger on my 496HO for 2 seasons now and no issues what so ever. I got the unit for $4000 and the install was done by me cheap labor. My experiance with the Procharger tech crew has been unmatched in customer service. From next day a part to getting back to me on dial in etc. They even paid to clear computer when it coded and sent part to fix that problem. You might have to wait on hold for awhile but tell me any place you don't.

MASTERKENDOG
01-21-2004, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by BoatFloating
I have a Procharger on my 496HO for 2 seasons now and no issues what so ever. I got the unit for $4000 and the install was done by me cheap labor. My experiance with the Procharger tech crew has been unmatched in customer service. From next day a part to getting back to me on dial in etc. They even paid to clear computer when it coded and sent part to fix that problem. You might have to wait on hold for awhile but tell me any place you don't.
Thanks BF! Whadda ya think a install cost is fer say GS Marine or GT in Montclair to do it? Any idea?
MKD!

Reaper1
01-21-2004, 01:26 PM
I'd say you're looking at around $1,200 for install.

MASTERKENDOG
01-21-2004, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Reaper1
I'd say you're looking at around $1,200 for install.
Word.
Thanks Mr. Reaper1

hbhallett
01-21-2004, 02:51 PM
Although you may find others who have had a more favorable experience with Porcharger customer service - may I give you an example of their thoughtlessness - I had an intercooler fail, after several calls (waiting and waiting and waiting) I finally got through and they would not give me even an envelope drawing for the different models of intercoolers they manufacture - why? so that I could order a direct replacement - as the model number wasn't listed on the unit even though the casting utilized the Porcharger emblem.
Long story short - I order one which they say came with the original kit through GS Marine - you guessed it I get one which has a different envelope, mounting pattern, etc... from the one I had that failed. I get on the phone with them and they claim they have never made the one I have and I don't know what I'm talking about.
Obviously, they either made my failed unit an obsolete part (and did not want to admit it) or superseeded it with a different form factor part. Something to consider when laying out $$$$$$. Even more bazaar that they can't send me even a sketch of what they offer to compare what I have vs. what they plan to send as a replacement.
So I have to get out all the machine tools agin to manufacture a means to mount this "new" intercooler. Just what you want to do with your spare time-not
Don't make the same mistake I did - go with Whipple - far less complicated of an install, more efficient, and most importantly- Dustin is availble thru the forum - Porcharger only puts an ad at the top of the forum, and then you're on your own.
Lastly, you'll need a pile of time and/or money to correctly install (either you or a pro) their system - you'll also have to buy a boost sensitive fuel pressure regulator, reconfigure your fuel system, plumb a supply / return oil line for the earlier turbos, reconfigure your carburetor to accomodate the blow through system beyond just installing the components - Go Whipple
I have been following these boards daily for some time and Dustin from Whipple seems a lot more straight up than his Kansas competition.

502procharger
01-21-2004, 03:02 PM
I have to chime in here, i have had 3 motors with prochargers and none of them had an issue. I will not argue with the fact the Whipple is a great unit and Dustin is a cool and knowledgeable guy. I actually want to try a Whipple on my next motor. The help center at procharger sucks but if you call a few times you will end up with someone who knows what they are doing. I do realize that is not the way to do business but if you ask for people who have a lot of marine procharger experience they know how to help. Whipple help is prob much better than procharger. As far as reliability of the procharger and getting and returning parts during tuning and such they are great. Many times they have sent me off a part i needed for free and paid for 2 day shipping just to help out. I think the procharger is a very easy install. If you own a performance boat you should be a little mechanical if you are you can do the install. I guess everyone’s experience is diff; keep in mind the procharger is much easier on your drive than the Whipple as well.

BoatFloating
01-21-2004, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by MASTERKENDOG
Thanks BF! Whadda ya think a install cost is fer say GS Marine or GT in Montclair to do it? Any idea?
MKD!
Like Reaper said you are looking at $1200 to $1800 installed and GS does them quite a bit. I'm not sure if GT does Procharer but it doesn't hurt to ask.