PDA

View Full Version : Extreem or Zieman??????????

cc322
01-20-2004, 05:38 PM
Well the Lavey comes with a srandard Zieman trailer, it is a 750.00 upgrade to go with the Extreem trailer. Anybody have experience with either one, good or bad. Alot of info to gather before he makes his decision this weekend thanks.

Dr. Eagle
01-20-2004, 05:45 PM
I have owned both. The extreme is a much more custom trailer, with steel tube construction. They do high quality automotive type paint jobs and highest quality components.
The Zieman trailers are generally c channel trailers. They use good components and very so so paint.
Honestly, I am not so sold on the steel tube trailer because they rust from inside. The c channel is visible for inspection all the time.
It is the reason I never put my old offshore boat in salt water. I was afraid I was going to ruin the trailer.

Ziggy
01-20-2004, 05:46 PM
Hhhmmm, my new boat came with either Extreme or Competative Standard, no extra expense for either except the break-away tongue I wanted.
Have only a few thousand miles on my Extreme but I can say it tows very, very well, no noisy/squeaky leaf springs, stays true behind the tow vehicle, disc brakes, electronic reverse brake shutoff and nicely finished paint.
'Bout all I can say at this point as an Extreme owner.:D
Oh, and everything works as designed.

rivercrazy
01-20-2004, 05:48 PM
I have a fairly new extreme trailer. Its by far the best trailer I've ever owned. It has the torsion axles and 4 wheel disc brakes. It rides and stops in outstanding fashion. And I ante'ed up for the galvatube trailer. Can you say zero rust (even after being in salt)?

Dr. Eagle
01-20-2004, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by rivercrazy
I have a fairly new extreme trailer. Its by far the best trailer I've ever owned. It has the torsion axles and 4 wheel disc brakes. It rides and stops in outstanding fashion. And I ante'ed up for the galvatube trailer. Can you say zero rust (even after being in salt)?
If you are going to get the Extreme (which is a damn nice trailer) go with the Galvatube. Otherwise I would never trust a tube trailer in salt water, and they will rust where you can't see them until it is too late to do anything.
Unfortunately my boat was bought from a dealer up here and the trailer was under the boat...w/o any galvanizing.

MudPumper
01-20-2004, 06:01 PM
My buddies Ultra came on an Extreme and it is one of the nicest trailers I have seen. Tows straight as an arrow. Check out their website extremetrailers.com

Ziggy
01-20-2004, 06:06 PM
Rust will attack anything at some point, even Galvanized. Seen plenty of trailers used exclusively in salt without a big problem if some care is taken.
Now he's talking about a Lavey so salt is less likely a factor I'd assume, compared to if he was buying a Wellcraft or something.
If he intends to use it often enough in salt water then coin up for the galvatube for peace of mind otherwise its money not well spent. How many OLD trailers have you seen that still are in tip-top shape? My kids got a 1969 boat/trailer that has no rust whatsoever.

Dr. Eagle
01-20-2004, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Ziggy
Rust will attack anything at some point, even Galvanized. Seen plenty of trailers used exclusively in salt without a big problem if some care is taken.
Now he's talking about a Lavey so salt is less likely a factor I'd assume, compared to if he was buying a Wellcraft or something.
If he intends to use it often enough in salt water then coin up for the galvatube for peace of mind otherwise its money not well spent. How many OLD trailers have you seen that still are in tip-top shape? My kids got a 1969 boat/trailer that has no rust whatsoever.
Galvanizing is just a way to postpone rust. I had no problem with rust with my extreme trailer, but looking inside the tubes after 3 years of freshwater use it was definitely beginning. There is no coating on the inside of the tube, so it can rust quickly.
True, if you are buying a 21 to 25 foot lake boat, most likely it will see fresh water and the extreme corrosion caused by salt water will not be an issue. That being said, if I could have gotten the Extreme trailer with galvanizing or corrosion protection I would have preferred it.
Regardless, Extreme makes a kick ass trailer, best in the business. Zieman makes a production trailer that you might see packaged with a Sea Ray or other production boat.

jbtrailerjim
01-20-2004, 06:45 PM
I have an Extreme under my Ultra and I am very happy with it so far. Tow's real nice and it look's bitchen. I think they build one of the nicest looking boat trailers on the market.

DogHouse
01-20-2004, 07:10 PM
I have a Ziemann. After one year, the paint was rusting through, looked like it was ten years old, and they refused to fix it, wouldn't even call me back. The box tube construction is decent enough though. BTW Magic wouldn't fix it either. F'ers.
:mad:

Dr. Eagle
01-20-2004, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by DogHouse
I have a Ziemann. After one year, the paint was rusting through, looked like it was ten years old, and they refused to fix it, wouldn't even call me back. The box tube construction is decent enough though. BTW Magic wouldn't fix it either. F'ers.
:mad:
I have a Zieman double jet ski trailer. It is two years old and looks 10+ years old. Paint is more or less like rustoleum enamel. Not the automotive quality paint like Extreme uses. If you can afford it, go for the extreme... huge improvement in quality.

Dr. Eagle
01-20-2004, 07:56 PM
Post part Deux.:rolleyes:

roln 20s
01-20-2004, 07:59 PM
Zieman blows IMO-- our ski boat trailer is a Zieman and it definately hasn't been the best, but it does still go down the road so maybe I should stop my complaining. Our trailer looks 15 years old, not 8, and our boat is immaculate.
Roln 20s

Dr. Eagle
01-20-2004, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by roln 20s
Zieman blows IMO-- our ski boat trailer is a Zieman and it definately hasn't been the best, but it does still go down the road so maybe I should stop my complaining. Our trailer looks 15 years old, not 8, and our boat is immaculate.
Roln 20s
That's a pisser, you have to figure out what to do with the boat so you can get the trailer prepped and painted. Not an easy project...

Kilrtoy
01-20-2004, 08:22 PM
Extreme, everyone already said it...

K9Blitz
01-20-2004, 09:20 PM
I wish boat manufacturers would give us buyers the option to put the boat on any trailer. I recently took delivery of my Essex 24 valor and it came on a zeiman trailer. I got dark red to match the boat. It looks great. Stainless fenders, star mag's, low profile tires, swing away tongue, torsion axle and matching spare. It's tubular construction all the way around. Tow's great too.
My previous boat came on a zeiman, but it wasn't nearly as nice. Open frame construction, painted metal fenders and basic mag wheels with no spare. Oddly enough, the new 24 foot boat tows nicer than the 19 footer.
I think zeiman has a few different models. Only time will tell how the paint / rust issue works out, but for now I'm totally satisfied with the zeiman. I'll keep you posted.
Also, I've heard more good than bad about extreme trailers.

locogringo
01-20-2004, 09:30 PM
NOTE:
Extreme is beginning to offer (or soon will as an option), a protective wax inside all the rails that will prevent rusting. It is used in the automotive industry from the factory inside the frame rails and exposed areas undercarriage and in certain panels.; this in turn coats and sticks to metal.
This will pretty much guarantee a "No-Rust trailer".
I would go Extreme over any trailer manufacturer. IMO, the nicest.

LASERRAY
01-20-2004, 09:33 PM
Ok, I see alot of praise for Extreme trailers here, and not alot for Zieman. What about Competitive or Ellis compared to Zieman?

K9Blitz
01-20-2004, 09:45 PM
What trailer did your Laser come with? I understand Essex recently switched from Extreme to Zeiman. Don't know why.
I'll attach a photo of the new trailer.
Hopefully the red will hide any future rust issues!

LASERRAY
01-20-2004, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by K9Blitz
What trailer did your Laser come with? I understand Essex recently switched from Extreme to Zeiman. Don't know why.
I'll attach a photo of the new trailer.
Hopefully the red will hide any future rust issues! That's a sweet looking gel! Yes, When I bought my boat I was expecting An Extreme underneath My Laser. But, The way I understood it, Essex and Extreme had some sort of dispute, and Essex no longer uses the extreme. I was disappointed with this so Laser Kicked down the total sale down by $400.00.

Dr. Eagle
01-20-2004, 10:39 PM
The extreme trailers are easily 20-30% more than Zieman. I bet that is why they went that direction....

LASERRAY
01-20-2004, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
The extreme trailers are easily 20-30% more than Zieman. I bet that is why they went that direction.... I really don't see a reason for Essex to go with a lower end trailer like Zeiman based solely on what it costs them. Essex is a top-of the-line boat and what's underneath the boat should be as well. Laser I can understand going to Zeiman because of the cost conscienceness of the Laser Product as a whole. I think it was deeper rooted then cost. I think it was more of a pissing match.:eek!:

Dr. Eagle
01-20-2004, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by LASERRAY
I really don't see a reason for Essex to go with a lower end trailer like Zeiman based solely on what it costs them. Essex is a top-of the-line boat and what's underneath the boat should be as well. Laser I can understand going to Zeiman because of the cost conscienceness of the Laser Product as a whole. I think it was deeper rooted then cost. I think it was more of a pissing match.:eek!:
Yeah, Ray...
You are probably right. Essex is an upper end boat. I know Eliminator had issues with competitive years ago and went to Extreme, so I think these business relationships have more going on than can be explained with simple concepts.

Dr. Eagle
01-20-2004, 10:53 PM
In other words, probably the result of a pissing match...just like you said...

LASERRAY
01-20-2004, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
Yeah, Ray...
You are probably right. Essex is an upper end boat. I know Eliminator had issues with competitive years ago and went to Extreme, so I think these business relationships have more going on than can be explained with simple concepts. I'm sure it's nothing that 18 holes and a couple of Cocktails can't fix!:D

LASERRAY
01-20-2004, 11:26 PM
Bump - (for The Dr.):D

Dr. Eagle
01-20-2004, 11:29 PM
Yes agreed, 18 holes, cocktails, to the tit bar for a few lap dances...get a hooker and all is forgiven!!!!
:eek: :eek: :eek:
:D :D :D

Dr. Eagle
01-21-2004, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by LASERRAY
Bump - (for The Dr.):D
Ray do you have a Zieman under your Laser?? If so, hope I didn't piss you off too bad....
You know I have to say, I did not realize that Zieman had any other product than their "production boat" type trailer. You know, channel iron, no diamond plate, cheap paint. The kind you see with Sea Rays, malibu, Reinell, that type of boat.
But I looked at their site and they have very very custom looking trailers. I didn't realize that they made tube trailers, with custom features. My bad!
Looks like they have good equipment and lighting.
The ONLY major concern I'd have is the paint... and that only because of my experience with our 2 Sea Doo trailers (my son has one too).

AquaBoogie
01-21-2004, 09:22 AM
My Laser came with the Zeiman trailer. The paint on it sucks and chips easy, but the company seems pretty descent.
The gear busted on my trailer jack during my last trip to Havasu. I called Laser while there and they gave me a name and number to contact at Zeiman. When I called Zeiman, they were very courteous and agreed to take care of it. No more than a day after I got home, a new jack was being delivered.

CMABadseed
01-21-2004, 09:33 AM
extreme is a does great work and stands by their product IMO. a while back we blew up a wheel bearing on a one year old trailer...instead of paying to have it fixed or leaving us out in the cold we got a new axle panited up and everything ready to install...good deal! :D

Havasu_Dreamin
01-21-2004, 10:13 AM
Keep in mind, if you do have a Zieman and have problems with your trailer while in Havasu they have a factory there. This is not meant to be a reason to go with a Zieman over an Extreme, just some info. for those of you with Zieman trailers.

Dr. Eagle
01-21-2004, 10:36 AM
RD,
I don't think I ever said they were a bad trailer... just that the paint ages quickly. That is from my own experience. I still have the Zieman Sea Doo trailers sitting in my driveway. They are 2 and 3 years old and look 10 and 12. In fact I had to strip the paint off the top of the tool box and repaint it after only a year because it had lifted off.
Now these are not high end customs, they are inexpensive jet ski trailers...but for $1400 bucks you might think the paint would last more than a year.
It may well be that they make a kick ass trailer. Certainly structurally they are great. But having owned a boat with a solid structural trailer and piss poor paint before, I would have to be convinced that they had REALLY improved before I'd purchase another one. Getting the trailer stripped down and repainted all the while trying to figure out what to do with the boat is not a fun project, especially when a few hundred bucks more for paint would have prevented it.
Also if you look at their site, they do still make or at least represent c channel trailers on there. Perhaps the "custom" style ones are tube???? or did they stop making c channel trailers????
Regardless, they are a good value for sure. I just expect automotive quality paint for durability and I will not buy another trailer with less...my .02.
:D :D :D :D

SoCalHD
01-21-2004, 10:53 AM
My Caliber is coming with a Zieman-I had the chance to look at both the Zieman and Extreem side by side. The new Zieman looks VERY similar to the Extreem-the differences that I noted were-with regard to reflectors, they were reflectors on the Zieman-on the Extreem they were only stickers?? At the rear of the trailer, on the last cross bar that goes from side to side(and drags on steep inclines), the Zieman has a plate that serves as a skid plate on it-the Extreem does not. Those were the two subtle differences I noticed. Not a big deal(although I like the skid plate) And there are plenty of options available like chrome fenders, diamond plate, wheels, pivot tongue, ect. I also own a Zieman single Lake Lice trailer for my GP8000-its 5 years old-looks like new. So to sum up, I don't think $700 is worth it to upgrade to the BASE Extreem trailer.

Dr. Eagle
01-21-2004, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by SoCalHD
I also own a Zieman single Lake Lice trailer for my GP8000-its 5 years old-looks like new.
Your jet ski trailer must be one in 100. I have seen many at the lake here that are looking shabby after 2 years or less. Mine and my son's included.
My son and I have our own experience, and my son has several friends that have them as well and have had similar experiences. It wouldn't stop me from buying another jetski trailer from them, but I'd think twice or three or four times before buying that custom boat trailer. UNLESS they could show me a Substantial automotive type paint process to be used on it.
If their paint processes and quality had not improved DRAMATICALLY, I do think the 700 + is well worth it. Or you may just be spending another 1K plus getting it repainted in just a few years.
BTW both my son and I are planning on repainting our less than 4 year old trailers before summer.... If we can create the time...
:(

Dr. Eagle
01-21-2004, 11:31 AM
Thanks RD. Enquiring minds and all that....
:D

Dr. Eagle
01-21-2004, 02:59 PM
Bumpin for Ray......

DogHouse
01-21-2004, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by RiverDave
... but I'll ask the person that I'm dealing with and see if he knows if they've changed their paint processes in the last couple of years or what there current paint processes are..
RD
My trailer was built in 2002 back when they used Krylon spray paint and no prep, or at least the equivalent. If they have any process now, it's an improvement... I'll take a pic and post it up here when I get a chance. Then maybe you'll see what I'm talking about. It'd be one thing if they had acknowledged that the paint was shit and offered to fix it, but the cold shoulder approach really turned me off to the company. I don't care if they start building the best trailers in the world, I'll never buy another...
-brian

Mandelon
01-21-2004, 05:41 PM
I have a Competitive under my Carrera. Its a 2001. The guy who owned it before me had it in South Dakota. The cross rails are badly pitted probably from all those country roads...;)
It is white and shows the beginnings of rust around the chipped areas. Where it has not been dinged up the paint is fine and shines up nicely. Everything works fine on it and I am pleased with the way it handles. The disc brakes work great. Even the Carlisle tires have been trouble free. I keep them at max pressure.

RandyH
01-21-2004, 05:52 PM
One thing I would do over is have the axle mounts made so that you could do some slight adjustments with the tandems so that you could dial in the tongue weight perfectly. There is just no way that even Extreme can get the wieght perfectly on every type of manufactored boat and their layups and motor/drive packages.
I would also pay extra just to beef up the tubes from 6 inch to 8 inch. Even with a 21 foot boat I can see the 6 inch tubes bending slightly and who needs that going over bumps and dips. I am sure they would charge more but it would be worth it in the long haul.
My 2 cents,
Randy

MagicMtnDan
01-21-2004, 06:05 PM
I can add just a bit here regarding trailers. As has been said, Zieman has many different trailers and certainly different grades (like Craftsman does with tools and many other brands do in order to meet the price points desired by manufacturers/customers).
If you haven't checked out Zieman in a while you might want to. They make a fine trailer. But don't judge all of their products on a single-axle cheapie SeaDoo trailer - those things are "included" in Personal Water Craft deals and most people buying them don't care about the trailer. Hell, they only opt to pay for a trailer so they don't drag their lake lice behind their car!
For the price Zieman offers a very competitive trailer. Is it worth spending $700+ to "upgrade" to an Extreme or other brand? Only the buyer can make that decision. But I do suggest you consider Zieman when you're buying a boat. By the way, I believe most manufacturers will offer you another brand (although I know I was told by A*y that Essex will not offer Extreme trailers). If trailer brand is important to you you gotta consider it and ask about it before you get the final price and sign on the dotted line.

cc322
01-21-2004, 06:19 PM
Alot of good info on this subject, I talked to Trevor at Zieman and he seems like a stand up guy I also know him through a friend, .He told me they use the same paint on thier trailers that Extreem uses on thiers. I dont think that the 750.00 is worth it I would rather add that money towards a bigger engine or trim tabs for the boat. :D

Dr. Eagle
01-21-2004, 06:26 PM
As I continue to beat this to death, honestly my experience with Extreme was not so good. Only in that they do not have a dealer network and I live about 420 miles away from their shop. I had some cracking issues and the answer was "bring it on in and we'll look at it".
Now I don't know about you all, but dragging 9500 pounds of boat and trailer on a 1000 mile round trip up and over the grape vine to have some cracks looked at was not on my agenda.
I ended up calling the boat dealer that sold me the package and they sent me over to another local shop. The problem truned out to be superficial (bondo delaminated) but it was a concern and was not easy to deal with from this distance. And it never got fixed.
Zieman on the other hand has an extensive network of dealers, I believe there are about 6 in this area. If the dealer is reputable, it should make service and warranty easier.
Also the jet ski trailer that I have was not really all that cheap. It was about double what one of those "cheapie" trailers (shorelander or Caravan) that are usually part of the package deals cost and my trailer was not part of a package...just for the record.
Also like I said, the only problem I have is the paint...otherwise it is a hell of a nice trailer.

Dr. Eagle
01-21-2004, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by cc322
Alot of good info on this subject, I talked to Trevor at Zieman and he seems like a stand up guy I also know him through a friend, .He told me they use the same paint on thier trailers that Extreem uses on thiers. I dont think that the 750.00 is worth it I would rather add that money towards a bigger engine or trim tabs for the boat. :D
If I were to witness the paint and process and it were the same as what Extreme is using or equivelant, (I am talking their custom boat trailers) I'd not hesitate to buy a Zieman!!!!!

rivercrazy
01-21-2004, 08:20 PM
Actually from what I've heard, Extreme does do extensive testing on tongue weights and set up for all the manufacturers they regularly supply. They have computerized data base that they use in production.
I had them change their standard design on my trailer due to the need to have a shorter tongue (so the boat would fit in my garage) and still accommodate a swing away tongue. They did weight testing to make sure the tongue still had the desired amount of tongue weight.
Never a problem yet with the trailer.

CBLavey
01-21-2004, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by cc322
Well the Lavey comes with a srandard Zieman trailer, it is a 750.00 upgrade to go with the Extreem trailer. Anybody have experience with either one, good or bad. Alot of info to gather before he makes his decision this weekend thanks.
CC...
I went with the Zieman. Like the Extreme it has full tube, not C-channel construction. Disc brakes, swing away tongue, torsion axles, drop down spare tire mount and a great looking automotive style paint job. Zieman has come a long way with their trailers and I doubt that most people can tell the difference or that their is any difference in quality.
I believe that the last issue of Hot Boat says that Essex is now using Zieman so that should tell us something...

MagicMtnDan
01-21-2004, 10:40 PM
He's taught me more then I ever wanted to know about trailers.. LOL :D
RD
And you're teaching him way more about Bubbles than he ever wanted to know :D

DogHouse
01-22-2004, 05:08 PM
Strangely enough there's a couple of people that feel the same way about certain boat mfg's.. ;) :D
To each there own.. ;)
RD
So true, LOL!
Come to think of it, there hasn't been a good Magic/Sleek argument on here for quite a while. Quick, somebody stir up some dirt! Or some RUST, as it were... :D

MagicMtnDan
01-22-2004, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by DogHouse
So true, LOL!
Come to think of it, there hasn't been a good Magic/Sleek argument on here for quite a while. Quick, somebody stir up some dirt! Or some RUST, as it were... :D
OK, which deckboat's better, Magic's or Sleek's? :D

Ultracrazy
01-22-2004, 05:49 PM
Hey K9Blitz
Nice ride......hmmmmmmm........to bad the trailer won't last as long as the boat:D
How was Vegas my friend????