PDA

View Full Version : gelcoat?

rash
01-20-2004, 06:45 PM
hey guys havent posted in a while ive been too busy working on the JETBOAT. i finally got the old olds to the machine shop. but my question is what or how do i restore the gloss of my gelcoat. some one told me to use a fine grit sand paper and wet sand it but i was hoping to buff it out with polish. can any one reccomend a good polish or rubbing compound to remove the oxidation. thanx RASH

460rogers
01-20-2004, 06:57 PM
I used a very fine compound like finess and a aircraft polish my buddie got at the airstrip,sorry no name on my can.My gell on the taylor was very oxidized but looked good wet and buffing worked for me.

TRG
01-20-2004, 09:05 PM
it would'nt hurt to look on the 3M website, i think its www.3m.com or something like that!
i dont know the exact # of what i use! if its real bad you could start with their "super duty" compound, and then something a bit finer!

OSUman
01-21-2004, 06:25 AM
I was going to ask the same question. I am going to refurbish the top of my jet and wanted to know what was the best method to take, wet sanding or buffing.

rash
01-23-2004, 12:09 AM
thanx for all of the information with the polishing compounds. can i use a regular buffer waxer or should i invest in somthing a little more powerful. thank you again for the help rash

HammerDown
01-23-2004, 06:49 AM
Meguiars(sp) has a 3 step Box kit for restoring Gel...It didn't work for me very well as I guess my Gel was that bad... it was taking to long to get the results I wanted plus there was alot of thin scratches on the surface the box kit won't address.. So I used Micro Fine Sand Paper Wet to pull the color out and than buffed it with Compound...then used the other products. My Rotary Buffer has a wool bonnet on it.
If I were you I would try a small area with the 3 step products. If they offer the results you need great. If not you'll have to get more aggressive as I did...but it will come out perfect with some work.
One tip...forget doing this by hand...get a good (rotary) Buffer..and learn/practice how to use it.

Bow Tie Omega
01-23-2004, 05:45 PM
Rash, I think you should reconsider the color sanding. YOu would want to use a very fine grit (1500-2000). In Havasu barney's directions to me on how to care for my new gel coat, he recommended a 3 step system by 3M. The vibrating buffer will not do it. It has to be a rotary to get what you are looking for and a different pad on the buffer for each step. He recommended a truly pure carnuba wax to finish her off. Hope that helps.