PDA

View Full Version : Stuck King Cobra

Chestah Cheetah
02-28-2002, 07:44 PM
I'm posting this for a buddy of mine who has a '94 24' Hawaiian with a 7.4 hooked up to an OMC King Cobra outdrive. The drive is stuck, no power. Where should he start as far as checking out the wiring? I guess he had to drain the hydraulic fluid last time he pulled it out of the water just to pull the drive up. Also what kind of maintenance do any of you do as far as water pump impeller/gear oil/hydraulics? Thanks!

StressTest
03-01-2002, 06:26 AM
I'm not too familiar with the OMC Cobra systems but if they are like the Merc stuff here what i would start with:
First thing i would check is if the fuse is good! (If it has one)
The next thing to check would be if there is power getting to the Trim motor? Get a volt meter and check the power leads and make sure the ground is also connected good with no corrosion around it.
Have someone activate the switch and another listen next to the pump. Does it "Click" when the switch is depressed? That would be the solenoids activating for the pump to go either up or down. If thats working then more then likely the pump itself is bad. If you hear no "clicking" then maybe the solenoids are bad. This would be the esiest to start with. You can even go to a local electrical motor rebuilder and they should be able to rebuild it for ya for not so bad a price. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif Hope that helps
-Wally

ratso
03-02-2002, 07:51 AM
if this is indeed an electrical problem, you will have 50 amp breakers on the motor and also a 20 amp fuse in the wiring system. i would check those first. anything more than that, you may want to go to a qualified technician who could troubleshoot this problem in about half an hour. ps i have schematics i could send you if you like.

not guilty
03-02-2002, 10:56 AM
The fuses are in a bracket on the shift box assy. to the left rear of carb.You will see them as plug conecters at the top in a big rubber boot.Had corrosion problems with mine.The water pump is a piece of cake, take the three bolts off the back cover on the upper half of drive , you'll see the pump has three bolts in it to take it out , about 15 minute job , do mine every spring. NG

Chestah Cheetah
03-02-2002, 12:49 PM
Thanks a lot fellas, I'll pass on the info. We're probably gonna start working on it tommorow, I'll keep you updated. Ratso, can you email those schematics? Thanks!

ratso
03-02-2002, 04:27 PM
Chesta Cheetah. I don't have a scanner. I would be glad to fax it. My e-mail is AGERIK@hot.rr.com or post me a number to send it to. Hope that helps.

Chestah Cheetah
03-02-2002, 07:26 PM
Ratso, thanks for the offer but I guess he figured it out while I was at work. He never bothered to even look at it after the season last year and just stored it. Pulled it out today, looked it over, and found a loose connection in the wiring block I guess. Now he has power. When they pulled it out of the water last season he had to drain a little bit of the hydraulic fluid to get the drive up and now just needs to refill a little. I think that's it.....right? Anything else he should look at? Thanks again!

Chestah Cheetah
03-27-2002, 04:40 PM
As far as re-filling the hydraulic fluid or "bleeding" it into the system, how is that done?