PDA

View Full Version : IT'S done finally fish tank nicknamed "dead mans grave"

a catered life
03-26-2006, 11:04 PM
well for those who gave me assistance on this tank i want to say THANKS :p since it was my first tank ever i was worried :rolleyes: if it was going to come out alright......i ran into a few minor problem like the canopy had to be specially cut to fit the tank, i had to downsize the filters to fit the slots on the tank but herr it is...about $1300 later here goes.......right now i have 2 panda bards, 2 bala sharks, 2 red tail sharks and 4 red eye tettires....whats your thoughts :idea:

Jordy
03-26-2006, 11:15 PM
$1300???? You're just getting warmed up. I started off with a 30 gallon reef tank and quickly grew that into a 55 gallon reef. It was a couple hundred dollar a weekend at the fish store habit and when it was all said and done, I had nothing to show for it other than lots of sweat, tears, and $1000's of dollars worth of fish that took the drain to the ocean to find Nemo. Every now and then I think about setting up another one and then I just donkey punch myself, build a bridge and get over it. ;)

C-2
03-26-2006, 11:31 PM
$1300???? You're just getting warmed up. I started off with a 30 gallon reef tank and quickly grew that into a 55 gallon reef. It was a couple hundred dollar a weekend at the fish store habit and when it was all said and done, I had nothing to show for it other than lots of sweat, tears, and $1000's of dollars worth of fish that took the drain to the ocean to find Nemo. Every now and then I think about setting up another one and then I just donkey punch myself, build a bridge and get over it. ;)
Yup, it's a love-hate type thing. I just recently patched the holes in my ceiling!
And finding somebody to watch your tank on those long river weekends is not an easy thing to do - especially since they don't usually call until the Halides set the smoke detectors off. I hate those calls at the sandbar.
----------
catered,
Your fishies are gonna like all that wide open real estate. Don't mess the neighborhood up by throwing in Oscars, Pacu's or even Piranaha's. While somewhat exciting to watch at din din time - they make for an ugly tank. :)
If you got good lights, throw some live plants in there, they look really nice.

H20 Toie
03-27-2006, 12:12 AM
dud were thw fish dude

maxwedge
03-27-2006, 12:42 AM
I used to have salt water fish back when I was a kid. Poor little guys. Turns out that some cats, although terrified of bathtubs and rain water, really don't mind climbing into a fish tank every now and then to have a nice Tang or Damsel dinner. Also, fish don't really like to be in the tank when it's saltier than the Dead Sea and hotter than hell. Who Knew? I fully expect to someday hear St. Peter explaining why I'm going to hell for that little marine death camp experiment. Next time I think I'll just have live rocks and plants :cry:

JetBoatRich
03-27-2006, 04:34 AM
Good Luck Willie :cool:

a catered life
03-27-2006, 06:27 AM
Yup, it's a love-hate type thing. I just recently patched the holes in my ceiling!
And finding somebody to watch your tank on those long river weekends is not an easy thing to do - especially since they don't usually call until the Halides set the smoke detectors off. I hate those calls at the sandbar.
----------
catered,
Your fishies are gonna like all that wide open real estate. Don't mess the neighborhood up by throwing in Oscars, Pacu's or even Piranaha's. While somewhat exciting to watch at din din time - they make for an ugly tank. :)
If you got good lights, throw some live plants in there, they look really nice.
i may get a break i got two awesome neighbors that have watched me get this thing together and both have offered to fish sit when i get back to boating one is retired and the others guy is semi retired so i may have some choices here.....and your right i dont want anything aggresive just something for the kids to talk about and enjoy

Boa1277
03-27-2006, 07:20 AM
If you want to really get frustrated try a reef tank, like Jordy said thousands of dollars later you will figure it out, leave the reefs in australia. These reef tanks are very very hard to take care of. If you think fish are expensive wait until you start dropping 2 to 3 hundred dollars a pop on some of the nicer corals just to watch them die usually in about 4mos it sucks... I still have all of the filtration and stuff to do another one, I just havent won the lotto yet. LOL :)

whoya
03-27-2006, 07:28 AM
Don't listen to these guys it's not that hard. :) We have fish as old as 12 years and they take care of their self. We have an automatic feeder and left them for 2 weeks at a time with no problem. For auto feeders and fish supplies check That Fish Place out, http://www.thatpetplace.com/
You can also call them for advice even thier catalog has a lot of information in it.

MagicMtnDan
03-27-2006, 07:29 AM
I used to have a salt water tank - had a great Humuhumunukunukuapua'a (type of trigger fish) that made the tank a lot of fun. But that was Back East years ago.
Now you're doing it in California so you can look forward to the next moderate earthquake to think about 100 gallons of water, gravel, rocks, equipment and fish on the floor. :mad: :220v:

buzzaro
03-27-2006, 07:33 AM
Tank looks nice, is that 100gal?. Ive got a 70gal but cant bring myself to do salt, keep hearing horror stories. So far I stick with the cichlid tanks, low, low, low maintenance and the fish are decent looking and reasonably entertaining. Post some pics when the tank is set up, should look great.

a catered life
03-27-2006, 07:53 AM
Tank looks nice, is that 100gal?. Ive got a 70gal but cant bring myself to do salt, keep hearing horror stories. So far I stick with the cichlid tanks, low, low, low maintenance and the fish are decent looking and reasonably entertaining. Post some pics when the tank is set up, should look great.
thanks a lot :p its a 140 gal if you check out the last picture thats as done i will be getting but i am thinking of putting some bigger rocks

buzzaro
03-27-2006, 08:00 AM
thanks a lot :p its a 140 gal if you check out the last picture thats as done i will be getting but i am thinking of putting some bigger rocks
Sorry, I meant set up with the reef and fish and stuff :messedup:, all that stuff looks great under the lights and Im curious to see how the fish your using will look, the tank lights usually bring the blues and whites to life and should make your setup look spectacular. Is that set up in a main room of the house (ie, living room/den/family room)? Also, while ive got youre attention, do you know a good light garlic sauce? Ive got a bunch of leftover minced garlic and Im looking for something to do with it. I made a garlic butter/cream sauce but im looking for something a little lighter this time :)

dmontzsta
03-27-2006, 08:13 AM
That tank looks exactly like mine. :)

a catered life
03-27-2006, 08:22 AM
Sorry, I meant set up with the reef and fish and stuff :messedup:, all that stuff looks great under the lights and Im curious to see how the fish your using will look, the tank lights usually bring the blues and whites to life and should make your setup look spectacular. Is that set up in a main room of the house (ie, living room/den/family room)? Also, while ive got youre attention, do you know a good light garlic sauce? Ive got a bunch of leftover minced garlic and Im looking for something to do with it. I made a garlic butter/cream sauce but im looking for something a little lighter this time :)
i like to keep it simple minced garlic screams :cry: shrimps, scallops and mussels all you need is some white wine, a little diced italian tomatos and butter and a little angel hair pasta you might want to throw in some chopped asapargus and broccoli crowns and tell me what time dinner is :rollside: dam i just made myself hungry :boxed:

hoolign
03-27-2006, 08:23 AM
Just missing the four foot step ladder for you to reach the lid :D

a catered life
03-27-2006, 08:23 AM
i know i was outside of your house taking pictures :p

unleashed
03-27-2006, 08:25 AM
Cool tank...I just bought this a few months back. It hangs on your wall...30 gallons but looks like 300...its 7 feet in length and looks kinda like a flat screen tv. Comes with brackets that you mount on the studs of your wall and you run the electric through the wall as well. Piece of cake and its fresh water. Looks pretty cool!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/249F1.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/249F2.JPG
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com)

Dave C
03-27-2006, 08:58 AM
I will see if I can find a pic of my buddies tank. I swear he has a mental disorder by installing a 500 (five hundred) gallon tank in his house. :rollside: :)
the funny thing is he always tells me that "it really doesn't take much work for the up-keep".....
ya sure, how come he is always working on it then....

a catered life
03-27-2006, 08:59 AM
Cool tank...I just bought this a few months back. It hangs on your wall...30 gallons but looks like 300...its 7 feet in length and looks kinda like a flat screen tv. Comes with brackets that you mount on the studs of your wall and you run the electric through the wall as well. Piece of cake and its fresh water. Looks pretty cool!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/249F1.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/249F2.JPG
Deano
that is freaking awesome and only 30 gallons

dmontzsta
03-27-2006, 09:03 AM
Deano, that looks pimp.

unleashed
03-27-2006, 09:09 AM
that is freaking awesome and only 30 gallons
The guy who sells them owed me some money so I took this in exchange. I must say better than having the money. It just takes awhile to get the right mix of fish....the first month I lost 400$ in fish...now I have it down to a science..er ahhh good guess work!:rollside:
Theres a place off of golden west in Huntington that has one of the best selections of fresh and salt fish...its worth checking out.
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) :crossx:

hoolign
03-27-2006, 09:13 AM
Someone posted a pic of one last year with his G/F swimmin in it..that was cool.
Deano ..how do you access it to clean it?

GHT
03-27-2006, 09:26 AM
dud were thw fish dude
WOW, Dan you drinking and postin' again...?? :confused: :D :squiggle:

unleashed
03-27-2006, 09:27 AM
Someone posted a pic of one last year with his G/F swimmin in it..that was cool.
Deano ..how do you access it to clean it?
Theres an opening on the top of the tank....depends how high you mount it on your wall....if high you'll have to stand on a chair...if low just reach up and throw some food in or whatever...heres the site! Good gift for someone that has everything!
http://www.wallaquariums.com
Deano

pm069
03-27-2006, 09:47 AM
I'm running two tanks, a 60 gal for my piranaha, and a 10 gal for the feeders. Once you get the tank established, maintence isn't really a problem. I can go to the river or a week vacation, and not worry. I just give him a fish a day that I'll be gone, if he eats them all the first day, TFB. The feeders I'll try to make sure there aren't any left but I've had them make it for a while, they're pretty self suffencent. Basiclly its a good idea to set up the tank with gravel, water, run the filters and add the chemicals for about 1 week prior to adding fish. Either test the water yourself (many nice test kits around), or your local fish store will test it for you. Your tank is beautiful! Take your time with the set-up, and enjoy! Love your recpies!! :cool:

Buster
03-27-2006, 09:52 AM
Nice setup ACL... I have had a reef tank for the last 5 years. Like Jordy said, saltwater tanks can get real expensive real quick. I have received many panic phones calls from my friends and kids while at the lake. If I could sell this tank I would... Hey, wanna reel cool reef tank to go with your new shark tank. All you have to do is add water. I would even set it up for you... :) :)
Enjoy, there a great stress reliever...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/2110Whole_tank-med.jpg

a catered life
03-27-2006, 10:07 AM
Nice setup ACL... I have had a reef tank for the last 5 years. Like Jordy said, saltwater tanks can get real expensive real quick. I have received many panic phones calls from my friends and kids while at the lake. If I could sell this tank I would... Hey, wanna reel cool reef tank to go with your new shark tank. All you have to do is add water. I would even set it up for you... :) :)
Enjoy, there a great stress reliever...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/2110Whole_tank-med.jpg
thank you and i must sat that is one bitchin looking tank you got there when i started out thats what i thought i wanted but then my adviser(local store) told me the price and you see what i ended up with fresh water :p over all i am very happy with the out come and my two little kids stay infront of the tank all day :p

Buster
03-27-2006, 10:22 AM
thank you and i must sat that is one bitchin looking tank you got there when i started out thats what i thought i wanted but then my adviser(local store) told me the price and you see what i ended up with fresh water :p over all i am very happy with the out come and my two little kids stay infront of the tank all day :p
Kids, Adults or anyone that walks into the room with stare at it for hours... A great conversation peice that is for sure... Enjoy your new hobby...