PDA

View Full Version : Opinions needed

superV
01-21-2004, 07:46 AM
I have been looking to relocate back out west for some time but have been unable to find a job in my field paying the same as I make now:( I am a Non Destructive Engineerer, Commercial Diver, and a AWS Certified welding inspector working as a QA/QC Mgr for for two large Machine Works and Fabercation Mills. I have 12yrs ex. and have worked my way through all the ranks. I was just made an offer with a company in Las Vegas as Senior Project Manager for a company called Wetern Technologys. My problem is they came back at $25hr :frown: knowing I make $35 now. They said that is typ for the area. They have an ex. benfits package and will provide 100% relocation. Along with a 100% up 6% match on my 401K. So as you can see we are talking about a large diff. in pay. They will provide a $300 a month car al. and $.32 a mile. I will save alittle on income tax but will I spend it on other goods or is there really a benifit from the lack of state tax in the area:confused: Housing seems to be cheep in the Henderson area where I would want to live and when doing some research I find that 40K is the av. income for a family of 4:eek:in Vegas. That just does not seem right to me. I really want to get back out west but feel like I would be talking a step back. Other than the pay I really like the scope of the job. Any input would be great:wink: BTW I can find Work in SoCal for the same pay but feel I would still be losing due to the taxes and high cost of living:mad:

JetBoatRich
01-21-2004, 07:57 AM
Seems like a significant hourly rate change:( are the benefits a lot better or about the same. :rolleyes: if the retirement package is better, some of the money will be made up in the back-end. What about advancement, are there any?
Tough decision, is it worth it to be back where you want loosing the income you were used to getting:mad:

Ntwotrance
01-21-2004, 07:58 AM
Figure out what your total off set is, add it all up, get the total, factor in the cost of living difference and see where you are at that point. Factor in the car allowance, does your current employer provide you with that? Factor in the 401k, I do have to say that .32 is low, but I'm not sure what is the norm in vegas for mileage.....

OutCole'd
01-21-2004, 07:58 AM
Super, I live here in Vegas and it is not bad at all. $10.00 is a lot of money, but we get very little snow.:D
Post over at Lasvegas***boats.com Most everyone there lives in Vegas or Henderson, and can help you out.
Housing is getting pricey here also like Ca. You may want to check that out first.
Good Luck,
Feel free to PM me any questions you have, I will try to help.

superV
01-21-2004, 08:05 AM
Thanks so far guys as far as $.32 a mile there is also $300 a month car allowance. The cost of living is about the same .The thing im not sure about is the taxs? I think the diff in income all said in done would be about 12k-15K a year:mad: Unless i get alot of O.T.

OutCole'd
01-21-2004, 08:13 AM
Are you factoring the snow multiplier? Thats a biggie, and didi I mention OG's.:eek:

superV
01-21-2004, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by OutCole'd
Are you factoring the snow multiplier? Thats a biggie, and didi I mention OG's.:eek:
Im thining I might do it but just cant seem to pull the triger :mad:
I have a great job and get 3% a year raise. But the bennys are not as good.And after a year I can move on if needed:rolleyes:

Mandelon
01-21-2004, 08:23 AM
You could make up the difference at the craps table....... :rolleyes:
That is a big cut to make in your wages. Did they say that was their top offer or are they trying to low-ball you with that???

Ntwotrance
01-21-2004, 08:24 AM
What's your chances of meeting the raises you're currently getting if you move? You do have to look at the future, and it would seem that Vegas in my opinion is the better bet.....

superV
01-21-2004, 09:01 AM
That is interesting its telling me from St.Louis to Vegas I would need less in Vegas but if i put in henders it say 15k more than las vegas:confused:

superV
01-21-2004, 09:04 AM
One thing im considering too is I dont get any O.T. at my current job due to it being salary but this job would be by the hr. I currently work 9hr a day and drive 2. I would only have a 20 min. drive at this job and if I got the 45hr a week it would be alot closer!

spectratoad
01-21-2004, 09:04 AM
I live in Reno and my father lives in Henderson. The cost of living in Henderson/Vegas is average and there is no state tax. The car allowance and mileage as far as the IRS is concerned is income don't forget. Your property taxes could be less or more, not sure what they are like where you are. Boat time is more probably. I would see if they could at least meet you in the middle of your current income level and go from there.
I would say though that your only sticking point though is where your heart wants to live and what the future benefits may be. Good luck in the decision.:D

superV
01-21-2004, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by spectratoad
I live in Reno and my father lives in Henderson. The cost of living in Henderson/Vegas is average and there is no state tax. The car allowance and mileage as far as the IRS is concerned is income don't forget. Your property taxes could be less or more, not sure what they are like where you are. Boat time is more probably. I would see if they could at least meet you in the middle of your current income level and go from there.
I would say though that your only sticking point though is where your heart wants to live and what the future benefits may be. Good luck in the decision.:D
Being a Desert Rat I think we all know where my heart is at :D

superV
01-21-2004, 02:02 PM
:frown:

HighRoller
01-21-2004, 02:31 PM
Henderson is getting pretty pricy, as you get a crackerbox house for 150K that is sandwiched in between a thousand other just like it. You should check into property values in Boulder City. It's less crowded and supposed to be nice. The problem with wages in Vegas is that it's the fastest growing city in the country. Has been for 10 years and will be for 10 more years. If you don't take the job there will be 10 other guys asking them next week so it's definitely an employer's market. See if they will meet you halfway on the wage and if they do you'll come out ahead by the time you factor in low cost of living and no income tax.

OutCole'd
01-21-2004, 02:37 PM
As far as the job market, if I put an add for a driver position paying $9.00 an hour, I will get 20-30 applicants. Most loosers, but at leat 5 people worth hiring.

superdave013
01-21-2004, 02:38 PM
It's all in what you want. Do you want the money or do you want the lifestyle.
I moved to So Ca. for the lifestyle, not the money. Best move I ever made. (not sayin it's for everyone)

totenhosen
01-21-2004, 02:39 PM
http://houseandhome.msn.com/pickaplace/comparecities.aspx
From this website it says you need to make $72k in Las Vegas/Henderson to have a similar lifestyle with $60k in St Louis.

superV
01-22-2004, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by totenhosen
http://houseandhome.msn.com/pickaplace/comparecities.aspx
From this website it says you need to make $72k in Las Vegas/Henderson to have a similar lifestyle with $60k in St Louis.
BUt if you use vegas it say you need to make 60K in vegas to have a lifestyle of 72K in St.Louis:( So it sounds like its just a matter of housing.