PDA

View Full Version : Newer boater with some lame questions

Drunk tank
01-21-2004, 06:25 PM
Since this is my first post here I'll try not to be a DAN. Anyhow, I've recently decided to start rehabilitating my boat. Anyhow heres a few pics http://community.webshots.com/user/drunk_tank
Specs are nothing special... 19' eliminator hull (IIRC), 455 olds, and an berkley jet drive.
One of my first orders of business is to get the thing looking decent by getting new seats and redoing the side panels.... theyre seriously ugly! :yuk: I was planning on having to small captains chairs up front and then a bench infront of the engine. I've seen that setup on similar boats and I really liked it... plus if youre a passenger facing backwards sucks. Do any of you guys know of any companies that make "seating kits" so to speak for that hull design? I figure I'll have to fab up some panels myself and take them to be upolstered. As far as air filters and such...I need a different setup for the top of the carb that would keep water and other nasties out of my engine... any idea on what I could do up there? Money and time permitting I'd like to sand it all down and repaint the thing something flashy...but not sure what yet. Also need to name the thing since its never had a name, currently "fugly" comes to mind. Anyhelp would be appreciated.
Thanks for your time,
Ryan

fourspeednup
01-21-2004, 07:59 PM
Cool boat. By the way you described it I thought it was gonna be a real shitangle.
I don't think anyone offers prefabbed interiors for this style boat. Too many variables like floor depth, width, etc. Look around here for anyone selling seat buckets that you can have upholstered.
I've seen very few jetboats run air filters. Usually it's just some type of scoop so water doesn't have a straight shot down through the carb. Look in here and in the v-drive forum, there are even a few members that will custom build one to suit you.
Oh yeah, metal flake rules!!!:D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1154eliminator3-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1154eliminator4-med.jpg

Mopar426
01-21-2004, 08:29 PM
I like the colors, I would keep the color. I'm buildings new seats and having them covered. You can find generic buckets, but they really cost. Draw it up on paper and take measurments. I changed my design several times. The frames are easy to build once you know what you want. Just seal them up, it doesn't take long for dry rot to set in.

screamdreambrad
01-21-2004, 10:12 PM
drunktank, i don't see anything wrong with the paint, or the color. yea, the seats are not so hot, and the exhaust really needs to go in the trash. but other than that looks nice to me. brad

TRG
01-21-2004, 10:14 PM
ive never seen an eliminator with that hull design before, but then again, i dont get out much!
p.s. i would'nt change much! i like the boat as is,....well maybe the seats, but thats just my nickle thrown in!
nice boat drunk tank!!

Danhercules
01-21-2004, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Drunk tank
Since this is my first post here I'll try not to be a DAN.
HEY!!! Whats that supposed to mean?!?!?!??!:confused: :rolleyes: :confused:

matt1
01-21-2004, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by Danhercules
HEY!!! Whats that supposed to mean?!?!?!??!:confused: :rolleyes: :confused:
Fa real thats what i was thinking

Drunk tank
01-21-2004, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by matt1
Fa real thats what i was thinking
DAN... Dumb Ass Newbie.
I hate the seating too... thats why its got to go! :D As for the exhaust, I didnt know anything was wrong with it, what would you suggest for it? Its not in budget but I might add it into future plans. As for the paint... It really needs to be repainted...correctly. I do like the current color scheme but its very scratched up and peeling in a few places. apparantly the previous owner just decided to paint over the original paint (some metal flake red stuff). I can paint it myself, my friends and I have everything we need... just gotta buy gel coal. plus it'd be nice to put a little resin in some of the fiberglass gouges in the rear. Also the aluminum trim is pretty bashed up and detached in a few places.... anyone know where to look for a similar replacment? I really like the boats style... kinda old school and the chicks dig it. Also... the only gauge that works is the tach... for the past few years we've checked fuel levels with a stick :D talk about ghetto! So i'll be rewiring it and putting in new gauges. :) Gotta get as much done by march 13 since thats the departure date from CO to Havasu... my buddy and myself have never been there so we're hoping itll be a good time, a slick looking boat is always a plus too. ;)

matt1
01-21-2004, 11:13 PM
Under stand the DAN now and there is nothing wrong with your exhaust some people just think that headers are the only way to go. Nice boat buy the way.

matt1
01-21-2004, 11:15 PM
Oh yeah you need some kind of diverter for the water WOODY:D :D :D

Foggerjet
01-22-2004, 05:50 AM
Shitangle.....you guys crack me up, Ryan you have a nice boat there, some of us wish we had that to start with.....namely me. The only thing kinda iffy is the rear facing seats. But that isn't so bad either. Olds motors are real reliable, if done right, and can make respectable power as well. If you're afraid of water entering the carb, run a backwards SS scoop. Have you run the boat? If it runs pretty dry, the flame arrestor might be fine as-is.
These guys really know how to make boats run, so keep asking questions. We would rather not see you waste money, They will tell you what works and what is a waste of time/money. Plus you'll have a few laughs. I have received great advice on these boards. I'm a newbie too.
Fog

Squirtcha?
01-22-2004, 05:56 AM
we've checked fuel levels with a stick talk about ghetto!
I'm thinking ghetto is not checking the levels at all and running out of fuel on the the river. There are lots of us that don't even have fuel gauges, much less have some that don't work.
I agree with the others on the color. Silver is pretty original.
Oh yeah, happy boating.
Dan

Drunk tank
01-22-2004, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by Foggerjet
Shitangle.....you guys crack me up, Ryan you have a nice boat there, some of us wish we had that to start with.....namely me. The only thing kinda iffy is the rear facing seats. But that isn't so bad either. Olds motors are real reliable, if done right, and can make respectable power as well. If you're afraid of water entering the carb, run a backwards SS scoop. Have you run the boat? If it runs pretty dry, the flame arrestor might be fine as-is.
These guys really know how to make boats run, so keep asking questions. We would rather not see you waste money, They will tell you what works and what is a waste of time/money. Plus you'll have a few laughs. I have received great advice on these boards. I'm a newbie too.
Fog
I've had the boat for years... originally inherited it from my dad even though he uses it once ever blue moon. Originally we had a 454 in it but threw a rod out on Lake paris... damn that was alot of padling. The 455 thats in it now has been amazing...no issues at all; it was built b y one of my dads buddies that built gragsters for a living. Regaurding the rear facing seats... like I've said.. theyre goin in the dumster as soon as I start workin on it.

1Bahnerjet
01-22-2004, 07:39 AM
I'm Diggin' the Cav. Plates on the Transom, Sweet :cool:

Drunk tank
01-22-2004, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by 1Bahnerjet
I'm Diggin' the Cav. Plates on the Transom, Sweet :cool:
Heres a really retarded question.. but what the heck are the cav. plates and transom? My best guess for cav plates are those metal things on the bottom rear of the boat... but who knows. :rolleyes: :dunce:

1Bahnerjet
01-22-2004, 08:42 AM
Yes those Metal things on rear ( transom ) of Boat, used to Trim Ride. If they are adjustable, Down for Take Off, Up for Speed. Or down in Rough Water, Up in Smooth Water. Manily seen on Flatbottom V-Drives. Cool on Jets :cool:

coolchange
01-22-2004, 01:37 PM
I've been tryin to figure out how to do seats by mail for all you out a towners. The buckets are no prob but the back seat requires a pattern and depends how exact a fit you need. All those Overton seats give me the Willies! PM me if your interested or just want a heads up on seats.

moneysucker
01-22-2004, 08:42 PM
I just built a set of seats, copying a set my brother paid around 2 grand for. I have a set in the garage that hasn't been uppholstered or glassed yet. I can get you pix and measurements when I get home tomorrow. Pm me if you want them. That color looks good. too bad it is coming off in places. It is peeling by the gas tank lids isn't it. Welcome to the boards.
CY

fourspeednup
01-22-2004, 10:37 PM
Yo Drunk tank. Check your PM's

Sleek26
01-23-2004, 12:08 AM
Drunk Tank, If your interested I have brand new Faria guages that I'm selling for $ 10.00 each plus $9.95 s&h (per order not per guage). I have Speed, Tach ( inboard 4/6/v8 and outboard) fuel, Oil Pressure, Temp, and Tilt.
I have 50 or 60 of each.
Jerry 903-560-9233 or jw@jwbowman.com
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/1388picture_043.jpg

Drunk tank
01-23-2004, 12:42 AM
damn.. this place rocks! Thanks for all the input here... definatly givin me some stuff to think about. Now I'm so damn ancy I wanna go pick my boat up tomorrow but am gonna have to wait till next weekend. This is gonna be a long week of waiting :D

SB
01-27-2004, 07:52 AM
Nice boat, looks way better than mine. I like the trim tabs, I have some too. Since you are a newbie, a couple thoughts. Do you need your driver's seat to swivel? Do you prefer to have at least 1 rear facing seat available for observing waterskiing? How do people in the water climb into the boat? When you change seats, make sure the front of your engine is sufficiently covered so that a girl with a long ponytail does not get her hair caught in the engine. Good luck with getting some topless passengers on your trip to Havasu.

Drunk tank
01-27-2004, 08:05 AM
Naw... I dont want any of the seats to swivel, I like to keep things simple. Swivels just add more metal to corrode. As far as a skier is concerned, I figure my copilot will be watchin, he can chill on the bench and peep. As far as getting in the boat... I just climb onto the bow since I'm pretty strong. if whoevers in the water cant do that I just pull them out. Lots of people always wanna use the cav plates as steps but I never let them...I dont know how strong those things are. Sadly i had already thought of the long hair thing (though mine is hella short) so I'll find someway to prevent that...cant have my future babies momas loosing chunks of hair in the pullys! :eek:

moneysucker
01-28-2004, 12:38 AM
The girl you want sits in front. Your buddies and left overs sit in back. That is the rule. With a rear bench it shouldn't be too hard to prevent any hair loss though. Blower belts pose a little more difficulty.
Cy