PDA

View Full Version : Panther Jet Curiosity?

fullwood
01-21-2004, 09:09 PM
What do you guys out there think of the performance capabilities of this pump. let's hear some top speeds, and if you have had any problems with them at all.

HotRod Sprint
01-21-2004, 09:12 PM
I would suggest going over to the Banderlog forums and posting this question. I'm sure you will get some good responses. Not trying to kick you out of here. But there is a special section on Panther pumps over there, and a few guys who are very knowledgeable.
Rod

Tolly
01-21-2004, 09:25 PM
I have quite a bit of experience with a Panther, and once spent lots of money and did all the tricks including glassing in some of the intake and closing it down tryin to get one to run. I managed to get an 18ft Ranger to run in the high 70's on a regular basis and over 80 a couple of times with a very stout 502 on nitrous, but it was not worth the effort or money. It would be a great ski boat pump and comes out of the hole hard but if you want performance go with a mixed flow pump. I had EJ enterprise in Lewisville, Tx put a Berkeley in the same boat and it ran 84mph with no nitrous. I would be happy to share with you all of the notes and stuff I have if you really want to know what it took, just PM me.
PS. They love to break pump shafts when you put the power to them and drive them hard!!

Jetdriver
01-21-2004, 09:33 PM
I have the amc360 combo and it will run a decent 58 to 60 and thats stock

screamdreambrad
01-21-2004, 10:00 PM
this sounds like bi-curious to me: :confused: :confused: just joking don't get excited brad

Cas
01-22-2004, 09:01 AM
fullwood,
If you're looking for a good pump for a lake boat, a Panther pump will perform just as good as any of the others and in some areas, better.
If you're looking to put a lot of hp in front of it to go 90mph, you're probably better off finding something else. I've heard of a few people getting into the 90's but I have no idea what they've done, what kind of hull they had or any of their particulars.
Panthers have a lot of qualities built into them in stock form that you'd have to pay big dollars to upgrade the others. Panthers are already set back, they have stainless steel impellers and they have ride plates. One of the better features is they have main roller bearings constantly submerged in 90wt oil, very rarely do they need replacement.
The Panthers I've had were both over 20 yrs old and neither had anything done to them. Both were well within factory tolerances and really didn't need to have anything done but I rebuilt them anyway for peace of mind.
As HotRod mentioned, I set up a Panther Forum on the Banderlog Discussion boards. Here's the link Panther Forum (http://www.banderlog.com/cgi-bin/banderlog/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=list&forum=DCForumID43&conf=DCConfID1)
Tolly,
Since you've done all the suggested upgrades to the Panther, would you mind sharing some of that info on the Panther board?

Tolly
01-22-2004, 09:56 AM
I don't mind sharinf the info on the mods that we did to my boat on the other board. Give me a chance to get over there and I will be more than happy to share. See ya

Jet City
01-22-2004, 07:55 PM
I've had one for 3 seasons behind a mild 460, has been very reliable. One other thing to know is the impellor is very similar to a Berk "B" cut, and as far as I know its the only choice. I also agree that for speeds over 65-70, the Panther is not the way to go, I am targeting 80 mph for my next boat and it will be a mixed flow pump.

JetBoatRich
01-22-2004, 09:11 PM
who has the Pather Jet Video. it will explain it all:eek: Right JetDriver

Cas
01-22-2004, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by JetBoatRich
who has the Pather Jet Video. it will explain it all:eek: Right JetDriver
I posted the link in the Panther Forum on Banderlog :D

fullwood
01-22-2004, 10:16 PM
It just seems like everybody goes from a panther jet to either a berkeley, dominator, aggressor, legend pump, but you never hear of anybody going from them to a panther. Why do you guys think this is?

Cas
01-22-2004, 10:34 PM
well, I went from a Berk to a Berk to a Panther added another Panther and now another Berk.
I currently have 2 Tahiti's with Panthers and a Bahner with a Berkeley :)
It all depends on what you want out of your boat. Panthers don't have the aftermarket stuff that most of the others have so upgrades are a bit limited. Panthers are not condusive to speeds above 75 or 80 but I've heard of a few people getting them into the 90's. Some people don't think they look as good as the others.
Up to 65 or so, they are just as good as the others.

JetBoatRich
01-23-2004, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by Cas
I posted the link in the Panther Forum on Banderlog :D
Your right,
I think this is it;)
PantherJet (http://www.cinemashares.com/video/GoWild_564k.wvx)

Jetdriver
01-23-2004, 06:56 AM
I love that Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

phegan
01-23-2004, 04:22 PM
wow, that video is funny:jawdrop:
where can i get me some of those cut off shorts:p

CrdStang
01-25-2004, 12:23 AM
Dig that 70's sound track!