PDA

View Full Version : What kind of hull is this??

Tolly
01-21-2004, 09:10 PM
I took this picture at the IHBA Race in Waco, Tx in July 2000, and I was wondering if any of you knew what kind of hull this is?
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/1396jetdragboat1-med.jpg

TRG
01-21-2004, 10:06 PM
im not even going to guess, but i like it!

HBjet
01-21-2004, 10:10 PM
Looks like a Southwind Tunnel that has been modified at the transom
HBjet

TRG
01-21-2004, 10:19 PM
but randy... does'nt the SW tunnel have a taller gunnels?

Jake W
01-21-2004, 10:23 PM
How about Crusader?
Or Mach 1
Or Mantra tunnel
Or modified CP tunnel
OK thats all I have
Jake:confused:

HBjet
01-21-2004, 10:37 PM
It's not a Crusader
This is a Crusader
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/20crusader-med.jpg
It's certainly not a CP Tunnel.
Here is a Southwind tunnel
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/115image6-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/523MVC-581S.JPG
It looks like a Southwind Tunnel that was modified. Maybe it was in a accident, and that's why it was modified.
HBjet

Cs19
01-21-2004, 10:38 PM
Why do all the photos appear to be little red x's to me?

TRG
01-21-2004, 10:53 PM
you must open your eyes grasshopper! then and only then will you see what your mind wants you to see!lol! todd

TRG
01-21-2004, 10:55 PM
yeah,...somebody probably creamed the rear box!
hey,...i wonder what the pump looked like?

Tolly
01-21-2004, 11:34 PM
It's not a Southwind that's been modified, it came from the factory just like you see it. The guy told me what it was but I just don't remember. I do remember that the driver's last name was Conklin. Maybe some of the racers from the midwest/Texas area might know this boat.

HBjet
01-22-2004, 12:24 AM
Well, if it's not, then it was probably splashed from a Southwind.
HBjet

Jake W
01-22-2004, 05:27 AM
Sunkist Tunnel?
Jake:D

cal***boat
01-22-2004, 05:44 AM
Originally posted by Tolly
I took this picture at the IHBA Race in Waco, Tx in July 2000, and I was wondering if any of you knew what kind of hull this is?
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/1396jetdragboat1-med.jpg
We had a 79 Southwind tunnel dragster back in 1981 and we took the boat to Bruce Halloway at GTH Performance to have the boat setup.
We were told that the boats worked better fo lake use with out the cav plates and the pod, so he had Dave a GT Boats remove the pod area and cav plates and reset the intake back another 3 inches.
The pump was stage 3 blueprinted Berkeley R unit with a b/c cut impeller by GTH. The engine we had in it was a mild blown 427 chevy.
The boat ran 104 mph when we took it to the the drags in Chowchilla and Red Bluff and spanked alot of v-drives at Lake Berryessa up here in Nor Cal.
Can't remember the guys name but we sold the boat to a guy down in the So Cal area. The boat was black with burgandy and red panels in the paint and was named Bat outa Hell.
Sure would like to have that boat back.

promod
01-22-2004, 05:55 AM
no it's not a sunkist tunnel i have one the trans is flat all the way
later
promod:p

1Bahnerjet
01-22-2004, 07:31 AM
Earl Smith ? Texas Tunnel ? I think the Gunnels look Southwind but not the Transom. Maybe a One-Off. ???

Jake W
01-22-2004, 04:50 PM
Earls tunnels have 2 little points in the front and a flat fliped up tail on the transom.
Promod do you have any pics of your Sunkist tunnel?I have only seen one it was for sale in ***boat years ago it was white with yellow and orange stripes looked just like a TX on top but you could tell for sure it was a tunnel, looked really close to a CP 18 tunnel.

LakesOnly
01-22-2004, 07:16 PM
There is a school of thought out there that trimming (and sometimes completely eliminating) the SW's pod is an improvement. This boat may be one of those SW Tunnels that has been modified. The overall length and shape of the cockpit also supports the speculation that it's a modified Southwind.
LO

Tolly
01-22-2004, 09:20 PM
I just got the E-mail address of the guy who ran this boat from another forum and I sent him a message asking him what make the hull is, and hopefully he will respond soon so that I can post the info for everyone. Like almost everyone else who has responded I also thought it was some kind of modified Southwind, but I seem to remember thinking that it was lower profile than a Southwind Tunnel. The boat damn near looked like a shingle sitting on the water it was so low slung.

Jake W
01-23-2004, 10:19 PM
You heard of any thing yet Tolly?

Tolly
01-24-2004, 09:59 AM
I have not heard anything from him yet. His name is Kevin Conklin, and he is a Texas racer. I got his E-mail address from the dragboatracing.com forum. I was hoping some of our racers here on this board might recognize the boat or know this guy. There is a picture of the boat running on dragboats.com.

Liberator TJ1984
01-24-2004, 10:16 AM
Tolly, It is in Fact ...Kevin Conklins boat ...He's a friend of ours and lives in Corpus Christi,Tx.
It is stripped down right now to be Painted and re-rigged , Motor is being freshened up and may go back with pro-fogger system or Blown Alc.??? haven't decided yet last I heard..
I will find out this afternoon what hull this is exactly ....if I can run 'em down tonight:)the motor is at BlownGas's I will swing by there after work and ask him...till later
Gopherrr
ps. the Purple and white pic HB posted of the Southwind belongs to another local here:D
in a town of only 3000 people ...probably 60 or so jetters around the area:rolleyes:

Cs19
01-24-2004, 11:13 AM
The pics are showing up for me now..The deck resembles a southwind, but the tunnells are slightly different and the area above the transom is different.I would like to see a pic of the bottom from the front looking towards the rear.
On the crusader, i dont see any transom adapter plates, I wonder if the hole is just cut out perfect and then sealed up w/silicone..:confused: If thats the case, ive never seen one like set up like that.
You guys mentioned it may have been in accident. Ive had bad dreams about my boat being rear ended on the freeway, man that would suck.

Tolly
01-24-2004, 11:42 AM
Liberator TJ1984 said...
Tolly, It is in Fact ...Kevin Conklins boat ...He's a friend of ours and lives in Corpus Christi,Tx.
I would certainly appreciate you finding out for us. I will be down y'alls way this summer to go out and down some wreck diving offshore. It sounds like I need to swing by and check you guys out. Where do you guys run your boats at??

Liberator TJ1984
01-24-2004, 12:38 PM
Look northwest of Corpus Christi on the map about 20miles up..
little town named "Orange Grove" thats where most of us are from and about 10mi.to the east there is Lake Corpus Christi (old Lake Mathis ) ..there is Sunrise Beach ,State Park, or Fiesta Marina that are usually the hang outs with nice beaches..go into the main menu Hot Boat Online ,go to Image Center and type (jetfest )into the search bar it will bring up pics of us ,you will see most of us in there;) mainly the group is comprised by Midnight Boat Wurks ( O.G. Gang ), Liquid Hot Rods ( Folks out Del Rio way) South Texas Jettin' ( C.C. bunch ) with others coming in from all over the area. we try and make yearly runs to each others areas and check out different lakes as a group. where are you at???:confused:
ps. my boat is on page 9 of jetfest photos ...first pic #20
Purple Liberator / thats Kevin's Daughter in the boat with me

Tolly
01-24-2004, 01:03 PM
I am in Wichita Falls,(Eddie Hill's hometown). We usually go to Possum Kingdom or Whitney.

Liberator TJ1984
01-24-2004, 01:06 PM
Took this to Whitney 2 yrs. ago;)
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/509/319Jetfest_2003_020-med.jpg

promod
01-24-2004, 06:55 PM
hey jake i do have pics but ahve no way to post them but it does like just like a cp tunnel almost even match my boat weighs around 405lbs there are a couple more around here not many though when i find another one i going to buy it too i going to have a tunnel collection;)
later
promod

Tolly
01-24-2004, 09:45 PM
Good looking boat Liberator! I haven't ever seen you in it at Whitney, but we don't go there a lot, we mostly go to Possum Kingdom. I have ran into the guy that owns Liberator boats out at Possum Kingdom over by Hell's Gate. Some guys told him about my buddie's Youngblood and he came looking for us, and found us I might add. He was driving a 21ft Liberator with twin outboards that they were shaking down. He couldn't hang with the Youngblood in a drag race, but DAMN that thing came on hard on the big end. My buddy's Youngblood was a Solid red 18' picklefork with white interior and had a tunnel rammed 502 in it and said TEXAS OUTLAW on the back. It was wicked quick but super scary after about 85.

Liberator TJ1984
01-25-2004, 05:44 AM
Tolly ,
From what they are telling me it is a " SidesCraft " made in Ft.Worth,Tx. then became " Custom Craft " later on ...... I am still diggin' to find out what year it is ??? have not gotten ahold of Kevin yet...this info. came from BlownGas's sons...hang with me I will keep checkin';)
Gopherrr
actually that was year before last at the big Blowout up there at Plowmans Creek ....lots of BadAss boats there:eek: got to meet Info and lots of others here on the boards:D did not make it last year ...putting motor back together and did not get machine work done in time to make it...:(

Tolly
01-25-2004, 03:35 PM
I seem to remember someone else calling it a Sidescraft as well. I'm sure Kevin can clear this up for us whenever you are able to get hold of him.
Thanks!

Tolly
01-28-2004, 07:11 PM
Have you heard anything yet LiberatorTJ1984???

cookieman
01-28-2004, 08:13 PM
Hey Gopherr, how is everything going down south? I guess you like the rest of us can't wait until spring or summer gets here. I noticed that Tolly boats at Possum Kingdom. I guess he might want to come down to Tin- Top on the Brazos sometime this summer. I think that would be close for him to come join in some fun on the upper end of the Brazos. I know I can't wait to go to Del Rio and Jetfest this year. I plan to take plenty of pics this year now that I have a larger media card for my camera. I hope to shoot over 1000 pics this year. Any ways keep in touch. TTUL Bill Cookieman

Liberator TJ1984
02-01-2004, 11:08 AM
Hi Cookie , hows it hangin' ???
Hope to see you guys again soon.
Tolly, Have not had a chance to run down Kevin , but I will keep trying to get more info....
Later , Gopherrr

moneysucker
02-01-2004, 08:59 PM
The outer edges of the transom aren't wide enough to be a southwind. Crusaders have a lower profile than a Southwind and a similar bottom to the pic.

Liberator TJ1984
02-02-2004, 07:05 AM
Tolly , talked to BlownGas... it is indeed a Sidescraft...late 70's splash of a PlaceCraft....still diggin':D

Tolly
02-02-2004, 01:05 PM
Thanks for the info dude! Tell him to let me know if he ever wants to sell it, cuz I likes it!:D :D :D

Liberator TJ1984
02-03-2004, 09:44 AM
From what BlownGas tells me there is on out there for sale right now :confused: but it was a Capsule boat that now has been removed and installed in another boat.... you would have to install another Capsule or :D get good at Glass work:yuk:
I can find out where it is if ya want......
Gopherrr

littlewood
02-04-2004, 09:57 PM
I think the boat might be a Taylor that was made in California not Oklahoma.

Tolly
02-06-2004, 02:42 PM
A capsuled lake boat.....That might be cool. I wonder if I could put A/C in it??? I guess I could wear my scuba gear while I drove, just in case:cool:

Jetboatguru
02-06-2004, 10:20 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by HBjet
[B]It's not a Crusader
This is a Crusader
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/20crusader-med.jpg
Who thinks up the color of these things.
Sweet Jesus that's Ugly
;) ;) :D :D