PDA

View Full Version : Boat values

welk2party
01-22-2004, 10:00 AM
Being that we just got our boat last summer, and people seem to be selling their boats left and right, do all these high end boats hold their value? Or, like cars, we take hit as soon as you leave the lot.
Just curious how upside down I am on the financing.

Havasu Cig
01-22-2004, 10:03 AM
If you payed retail for the boat you will definitely take a hit. What kind of boat did you buy??

welk2party
01-22-2004, 10:08 AM
We bought an Eliminator deck boat. I am not sure what retail really is. We bought at the boat show and negotiated throughout the build for extras. I don't think that we stole it but I think we did OK. I was curious if I had to dump it in an emergency sale how bad it would be.

NorCalCat
01-22-2004, 12:43 PM
Any motor vehicle aside from an airplane will take a significant hit once you take delivery of it. Here is a site that might be of interest to you. I am not sure how accurate it is.
http://www.nadaguides.com/default.asp?UserID=53071FC471F00&DID=37749&ColorId=&wSec=8&wPg=1005

HavasuDreamin'
01-22-2004, 12:49 PM
Definately going to take a pretty good hit..........that is why I would buy used. :cool:

Keith E. Sayre
01-22-2004, 12:56 PM
I've always said that if I have to sell a boat fast, I hope that is
says Eliminator on the side of it. I wouldn't worry about it too
much, the Eliminator deckboat is almost identical to our pre 1997
deckboat here at Conquest, we actually sold them the mold or the plug or something and then they made some minor changes to it. We can't keep a used boat around here more than a couple of hours so I'll bet that the situation will be the same for you. If
the price is fair, I'll bet that you could sell it in a day. Let me know
if you need help.
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats
Lake Havasu City
928-680-1400

NorCalCat
01-22-2004, 01:32 PM
Ya used is great for budget purposses. But some of the boats you just have no idea what they have been through. Even checking them out you can get into a pretty ugly situation.

Dave C
01-22-2004, 01:50 PM
Keith,
does that go for tunnels or just deckboats?

welk2party
01-22-2004, 02:06 PM
Thank you for the advice everyone. I am not looking to sell my boat, I was just curious. Good to know the info. Keith.

Havasu Cig
01-22-2004, 03:15 PM
I will give a hypothetical here:
If you payed 100 k for the boat new, you could expect to lose probably 15-20k in market value after owning the boat for a year. That has been my experience. There are exceptions, but in that price range that seems to be about what a year old boat with reasonable usage in good condition will sell for.
The more expensive the boat the more you will lose. Look at some of the 500k boats out there that are selling for significantly less a year later.

Froggystyle
01-26-2004, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Havasu Cig
I will give a hypothetical here:
If you payed 100 k for the boat new, you could expect to lose probably 15-20k in market value after owning the boat for a year. That has been my experience. There are exceptions, but in that price range that seems to be about what a year old boat with reasonable usage in good condition will sell for.
The more expensive the boat the more you will lose. Look at some of the 500k boats out there that are selling for significantly less a year later.
Even more specifically, I think your devaluation is good for several years.
In my opinion, the second you leave with your boat, you will take a hit, except in the case of bad supply. In this instance, when a manufacturer is notoriously tough to work with, you can get as much, if not more for a used boat just to save the hassle. You know for the most part what you are getting, and don't have to deal with the build process, which can be both fun and frustrating.
In any case, the 15%-20% devaluation that HavasuCig is talking about is true for several years. Once it is used, it doesn't really matter how old it is for a couple of years. For example, anything with a 2000 or up transom is going to go for about the same I have found, boats being similar.
Manufacturers don't change their lines from year to year like cars, so like Keith said, they get grouped by decades or vintages, not years!
Also, the Eliminator name is going to assist in resale an extraordinary amount. Nobody has better name recognition in the industry right now, so that helps when selling to new buyers.

NashvilleBound
02-03-2004, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by NorCalCat
Any motor vehicle aside from an airplane will take a significant hit once you take delivery of it. Here is a site that might be of interest to you. I am not sure how accurate it is.
http://www.nadaguides.com/default.asp?UserID=53071FC471F00&DID=37749&ColorId=&wSec=8&wPg=1005
That guild is pretty generic. It puts my boat at $57k right now.... not quite "True" market value.

Havasu Cig
02-03-2004, 02:16 PM
I agree that it is pretty generic. It put the average value on our boat at $221,295.00 and the trailer at $9,425.00.
The guide on the trailer is very generic. Does not even let you pick a brand, just goes pretty much by length and number of axles.:rolleyes:

NashvilleBound
02-03-2004, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Havasu Cig
I agree that it is pretty generic. It put the average value on our boat at $221,295.00 and the trailer at $9,425.00.
The guide on the trailer is very generic. Does not even let you pick a brand, just goes pretty much by length and number of axles.:rolleyes:
..........course if I had your money I wouldn't be worried about it:yuk: :yuk:

Havasu Cig
02-03-2004, 02:49 PM
I don't know...The stock market has not been good to us lately.:rolleyes:

NashvilleBound
02-04-2004, 05:47 AM
We pullled all the stock monies out about 2 years ago right before it went belly up. All into RE now. Much better tho I miss all the frantic buy/sell calls ;)
Our last home in Ca is in Escrow....now thats where the money is...So Cal RE. We got a crazy price for this place...but I'm all good with it :D Friday is the last of their 17 days to fall out. Crossing our fingers.

Havasu Cig
02-04-2004, 10:31 AM
Yeah, RE is doing very good right now but everything cycles. The stock market has come back somewhat, but it needs to do better. Once the RE bubble burst we are going to buy some more. I wish I would have bought some of the places we were looking at about 7 years ago.:(

NashvilleBound
02-04-2004, 02:03 PM
I hear that! Hind sight is always 20/20 eh?:eek: Like you were waiting for the bubble to burst to come back into the CA market. Its totally out of control.

BoatPI
02-07-2004, 07:06 PM
The bubble in CA is NOT going to burst. It may begin to level off form the 20% + rise. I just picked up a duplex in Long Beach. And the rents are wild, that is what continues to drive the market to a point. interest rates are still low. this will not cool until rates hit 7%.
Has anyone in So Cal ever heard of residental rents being reduced? There in is the answer. The larger the lot, the better, and R-2 and R-3 stuff is on fire.

Havasu Cig
02-08-2004, 11:36 AM
Like I said everything cycles.....My father was a developer and lost alot of $$$$ in the late 80's early 90's when the market took a $hit.
7-8 years ago the market was soft and now it is strong. When the rates start to climb the market will drop again. Anybody who thinks this is going to last forever is fooling themselves.