PDA

View Full Version : Jet boat 454

460rogers
01-22-2004, 05:56 PM
I tried gearheads but they didn't understand.I was looking for good ideas for a BBC buildup for a Youngblood TX-19.this is not a heavy boat.It has a dominator pump.I would like alum heads to save some weight.Was thinking about a roller cam.will be running headers.Any thoughts,suggestions on what I should start with would be helpfull.It's a jetboat.http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1161DSCN0349-thumb.jpg

1Bahnerjet
01-22-2004, 06:05 PM
I thought they gave you a lot of usefull information. But then again I didn't know what the Hell some of them were talkin' about. :D :rolleyes: :D

HotRod Sprint
01-22-2004, 06:07 PM
Hey 460, now your talkin, glad to hear your not going with the SBC. Just go buy a ZZ502 crate motor. Quick and painless :D
Rod

460rogers
01-22-2004, 06:20 PM
Don't want to BUY a crate,I want to build it. No braggin rights for bolt ins.There were some suggestions just not what i was wanting and not enough suggestions to compare options.
Can't see buying 502 longblock then going with ARP heads either.
just looking for what works for you,but I want to build it.

HARDIN18
01-23-2004, 12:44 PM
On the GM web site it says the ZZ502 is not for marine use.
Do they make a marine ZZ502?

HOSS
01-23-2004, 03:15 PM
Wanna buy a 460?

Jetmugg
01-23-2004, 04:15 PM
The engine I was building before I sold the rest of the project was a fairly mild "budget" build, but should have made around 500 HP at 5400 rpm. 0.030" over 454, 10.25:1 compression, oval port open chamber heads (2.19", 1.88" valves), Isky megacam 292 w/matched Isky springs and lifters, stock rods with ARP bolts, ARP main studs, stock crank, tunnel ram w/600's, and basset OT's. SFI approved damper and flexplate to keep everything "race legal"
I still have the engine, and I'm about to send you the headers. If you want to talk turkey, I'll meet you somewhere between here and bryant TX to sell you the engine I have. All the machine work has been done, but the engine hasn't been assembled yet.
You can't build one this cheap - $1500
SteveM - sorry for the spam, but I got carried away

Fiat48
01-23-2004, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by 460rogers
I tried gearheads but they didn't understand.I was looking for good ideas for a BBC buildup for a Youngblood TX-19.this is not a heavy boat.It has a dominator pump.I would like alum heads to save some weight.Was thinking about a roller cam.will be running headers.Any thoughts,suggestions on what I should start with would be helpfull.It's a jetboat.http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1161DSCN0349-thumb.jpg
Gearheads tried to help you think and then make your own decisions. When that didn't work, you were given combinations. The guys even listed part numbers. At least one suggestion was proven in a jet. Still have no idea what you are really looking for. Perhaps it's advice from someone with the same boat you have, with the same pump you have and then duplicate their present combination. "Bragging rights?"

likwidsukr
01-23-2004, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by HOSS
Wanna buy a 460?
ROTFLMAO!
Cam and all:eek: :eek: :rolleyes: :D

likwidsukr
01-23-2004, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Fiat48
Gearheads tried to help you think and then make your own decisions. When that didn't work, you were given combinations. The guys even listed part numbers. At least one suggestion was proven in a jet. Still have no idea what you are really looking for. Perhaps it's advice from someone with the same boat you have, with the same pump you have and then duplicate their present combination. "Bragging rights?" :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

460rogers
01-24-2004, 11:17 AM
I am now getting responces to my post on GEARHEADS.I,m not looking to just copy a motor was just wanting to know what was out there,and what type blocks,heads,cams,intakes were working well in jetboats.I know a little about Ford but very little about BBF. Everyone seems to prefer chevy and since this boat came with one I was going to go in that direction but wanted to know where to start.
and no HOSS I don't need a 460 with 4 bad holes.Thanks anyway.