PDA

View Full Version : Fuel filter question

Dragboat Dad
01-22-2004, 09:10 PM
Speedin' Ian and I have a blown gas 468 BBC in a Cole runner bottom. We have a T tank and electric fuel pump. Should the fuel filter be before the pump or after it. Also what's the lowest the fuel pressure can safely drop to at the carbs during a pass. Thanks for any advice.

PE 316
01-22-2004, 10:47 PM
Tom (and Ian),
What I did with mine is:
1. From the fuel tanks (you gave me) I run a System-1 Billet fuel filter housing with a COARSE (10-micron) element BEFORE the Injector Pump.
2. From the outlet of the injector pump, I run the same System-1 Billet Fuel Filter housing with a FINE (30-micron) element.
The most important thing to remember, you want the LEAST restrictive filter possible (IF you are going to run one) between the fuel tank and the fuel pump. Then you can run a "finer" (read: more restrictive) fuel filter AFTER the fuel pump.
Of course, you can run WITHOUT the fuel filter(s) IF you are willing to meticulously "strain" the fuel as you are filling the fuel tank... (EVERY TIME).
Mike Barnes
P.S. - Is the boat "finished" yet?? (e-mail me some current pics.)

Fiat48
01-22-2004, 11:59 PM
Anything below 4 1/2 lbs at wide open throttle shows the fuel delivery system needs some help.

Dragboat Dad
01-23-2004, 07:07 AM
Thanks for the info. Good to hear from you Mike, looks like your boat is coming alonghttp://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1349110-1024_IMG-med.JPGOur boat is all together as you can see

01-23-2004, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by Dragboat Dad
Also what's the lowest the fuel pressure can safely drop to at the carbs during a pass. Thanks for any advice. None, any pressure drop indicates the engine is using more fuel than the system can supply. For every pound of pressure drop will lower the float level app. 1/8"....lower float level=lean engine. Build a good fuel system.