PDA

View Full Version : Carb ?

bout tyme
01-23-2004, 07:13 AM
I'm bolting on an edlbrock rpm manifold and a 9x3 KN to a stock 460 w/ an igniter II and msd coil. The carb is the stock 600/ 4160. It needs new gaskets and after all I've read from you guys, I've decided to keep the carb. While I'm doing the minor rebuild is it worth adding/ upgrading to a 50cc accelareter pump and converting to a 4150 ? Any jet ideas w/ the added air due to filter and manifold? How about a purple spring for the secondary diafram? Lets hear it carb experts. Can I use any 4150 style fuel bowls. I look the look of dual feed

MikeF
01-23-2004, 07:24 AM
I would stay away from the 50cc acc pumps. You'll just be dumping more fuel into the engine that it does not need.
Boats w/ jet drives rev real quick and do not load the engine down until past 4000 rpm. No real need for extra fuel at low R's
As far as the springs, maybe hotcrusader can guide you there.

LakesOnly
01-23-2004, 08:38 AM
Spend a little more money and get a bigger carb. 750 cfm minimum.
Do you have OT headers? Get an 850 cfm carb. 460's love fuel and answer favorably when you give it to them.
LO

fourspeednup
01-23-2004, 01:01 PM
Convert it to the 4150 style (any will fit, be sure to get the longer bolts too) with a secondary metering block (not plate) so you can change jets. The metering plate should only be left to those who really know what they're doing cuz you have to drill them out. Here's a list of all my Christmas presents that I can't wait to try out on my 4160:
Parts carb w/ Sec. metering block and 50cc
Holley jet assortment(60's to 100's)
Quick change vacuum diaphragm top + diff springs
Buna-n reusable gaskets
Take a nice weekday out on the water and do a test n tune. Play with the jet sizes and toss the 50cc kit on. If it doesn't work out for you--put the old one back on. I've never really tuned a marine motor for power before but I'm looking forward to trying it out and see the diff between it and my previous cars.:cool:

FLOJO
01-23-2004, 10:53 PM
iam installing a holley 800 on my 460 with mechanical secoundarys. i had a edle 750 vacum secoundarys and didnt like it. cp performance told me that a 800 would work just fine.

Mopar426
01-23-2004, 11:00 PM
I have a 650 4150HP that I want to upgrade. I was going to buy a proform kit, but a friend has a 4160 780cfm with dual feeds that looks similar to mine, but has vacc secondaries. Could I swap are horns with my 650 to increase cfm, or would it be better to go the Proform route???:confused:

Moneypitt
01-23-2004, 11:39 PM
Hey guys, all this messing with these carbs is crazy. These parts are NOT randomly interchangeable. Converting metering plates to a metering block is not just bolting on the parts, there is more to it than that. You can add the 50cc shooter, (don't forget the nozzle size increase), but the major componets are a little trickier than just bolting it together. Everyone that runs a holley carb should buy, AND read the Holley book from cover to cover before attempting ANY parts changing, including minor jet changes. The holley engineers have worked long and hard to design these carbs, and IMO, most of the time they're better left alone. If you want a dual feed, or a dual pump, buy one. Vacuume sec. carbs work quite well, but if it aint enough, step up to the double pumper of the same CFM. A hot 454 can run really good with only 650 CFM, properly dialed in to the vehicle/boat. Over gassing, is exactly that. Over gassing!!!....Moneypitt

Mopar426
01-24-2004, 12:21 AM
That's why I ask questions first. I haven't really done much but take it out of the box, if it works out and feeds my engine I will be happy. If it doesn't, i'll break out the book or ask more questions. Thanks for the tips.:)

Hotcrusader76
01-24-2004, 12:17 PM
Mopar426 and bout tyme...
Give me a call and I'll explain the best approach to rebuilding your two carburetors and what mods are good and not soo good. I could sit here and type a novel on what works best but it's easier for you two to chat with me first.
Then ya both can come on and spread the wealth.
~Ty:D