PDA

View Full Version : im getting C-L-O-S-E!!

cyclone
01-23-2004, 10:14 AM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/45IMG_1326-med.JPG

Jetdriver
01-23-2004, 10:19 AM
Is that what your going to be running?

cyclone
01-23-2004, 10:38 AM
YUP.

Hustler
01-23-2004, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by cyclone
YUP.
:D :D :D
Looks nice Mike

flat broke
01-23-2004, 10:40 AM
Can't wait to see it back in the boat.
BTW, I love your attention to detail... You even color matched the rocker arms to your color scheme. ;)
Keep us posted,
Chris

cyclone
01-23-2004, 10:42 AM
ya i'm crazy like that. i think i'll have the blower casing anodized to match next.

LVjetboy
01-23-2004, 10:54 AM
Now just find a set of clear valve covers. I guess the sleeper factor got sh*t canned?
:)
jer

Hotcrusader76
01-23-2004, 10:56 AM
You're always one step ahead me Mike:D

cyclone
01-23-2004, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by LVjetboy
Now just find a set of clear valve covers. I guess the sleeper factor got sh*t canned?
jer
the boat lost its sleeper status after the 1st trip to Lost Lake. after that i had everyone on the water wanting to race.

78Eliminator
01-23-2004, 11:08 AM
YUP.
You buidin' that yourself or is that at DNE?

cyclone
01-23-2004, 11:11 AM
built by myself and my friend Steve.

Blown 472
01-23-2004, 11:14 AM
Any horsepower perdictions?

cyclone
01-23-2004, 11:16 AM
you really want to go there?

Blown 472
01-23-2004, 11:18 AM
you really want to go there?
Yeah, what tha hell it's snowing today and I am bored, so lets hear it.:D

cyclone
01-23-2004, 11:35 AM
somewhere in the neighborhood of 900hp with 91 octane fuel.

Blown 472
01-23-2004, 11:37 AM
somewhere in the neighborhood of 900hp with 91 octane fuel.
cool, you dont have 93 outthere??

cyclone
01-23-2004, 11:45 AM
i wish. all we've got in CA is crappy, oxygenated 91. when i lived in NY, Sunoco had 94 octane right at the pump. man that was great gas.

Jet Hydro
01-23-2004, 11:49 AM
So this is why HBjet was saying
Originally posted by HBjet
I would hate to have a blown motor and get passed by a TM motor on pump gas with iron heads.
HBjet

cyclone
01-23-2004, 11:53 AM
what's TM stand for?

78Eliminator
01-23-2004, 11:56 AM
Cool, cool. How much boost ya gunna run? I don't see an intercooler on there so be careful.....

Jet Hydro
01-23-2004, 11:57 AM
I couldn't figure that one out either. I thought he had a DNE motor?

HavasuDreamin'
01-23-2004, 11:57 AM
Nice looking motor. What scoop is going on that badboy?

cyclone
01-23-2004, 11:58 AM
i've got several different pulley combos. we'll start at 5psi go from there. that pic was taken as we mocked up the blower and throttle linkage. it'll have an innercooler by the time it hits the dyno.

Blown 472
01-23-2004, 11:59 AM
i've got several different pulley combos. we'll start at 5psi go from there. that pic was taken as we mocked up the blower and throttle linkage. it'll have an innercooler by the time it hits the dyno.
What head gaskets did you use?

78Eliminator
01-23-2004, 12:01 PM
You want to buy my dooley scoop? It is brand new with a cover and a 9" center to center. I will let it go for cheap....

victorfb
01-23-2004, 12:12 PM
mike. that motor looks sweet man. i cant wait to see that rogers run. woohoooo... 900 HP? damn. you guys are nuts. but im glad you are. its going to a sight to see all your hot rod jet boats kickin some butt.

roostwear
01-23-2004, 12:21 PM
When it's time to plumb that beast, let me know and we'll break out the benders, mill some bitchen brackets, and do it RIGHT!

Jetdriver
01-23-2004, 12:38 PM
Very sick Mike!!!! Maybe this year at CBBB Ill get to ride in it!

superdave013
01-23-2004, 12:45 PM
Mike, you going to run a stud girdle?

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
01-23-2004, 01:19 PM
what's next??? injected? why only do 900 when 1,000 sounds so much better. any plans for a blue bottle?
I guess 94 wasn't enough:rolleyes: must be itching for the century mark.:D
my hats off to you. nice toy!!!
Omega

LVjetboy
01-23-2004, 01:25 PM
I'm thinking maybe 105? HBjet's gonna need a healthy dose of gas.
jer

Blown 472
01-23-2004, 01:31 PM
jer
Or a bigger sticker:D :D :D :D :p

HARDIN18
01-23-2004, 02:17 PM
cyclone
Is that a ZZ502?
If it is, what did you do to it to make it a MARINE engine?

77charger
01-23-2004, 05:34 PM
the boat lost its sleeper status after the 1st trip to Lost Lake. after that i had everyone on the water wanting to race. Dont worry i 'll have my flat ready:D and i will race:) .Anyhow the motor looks good what made you go with the weiand blower?My buddy has one on his placecraft also.When will it be ready and are you still plannin on racing it this year 1st race is in march the 20-21st at ming

77charger
01-23-2004, 05:35 PM
jer I say about 106-107 avg cond.if 900hp

hack job
01-23-2004, 06:12 PM
looks nice Mike!;)

SPECTRABRENT
01-23-2004, 07:10 PM
I would like another ride and I wont spill my beer in your seat.
Looks great!
Brent

TRG
01-23-2004, 07:38 PM
"DUDE!!! I just hope you keep it safe bro!! and keep your head on strait!!!
and another thing!....i dont wanna see you haulin' azz with only "1" hand on the wheel!! looks great though!!
todd

Danhercules
01-23-2004, 07:47 PM
built by myself and my friend Steve.
There goes your custom red "DNE" sticker!:frown:

TRG
01-23-2004, 08:01 PM
hey mike..." You wanna run that thang"? lol
just dont let my wife see you punish me!!lol

cyclone
01-24-2004, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by 78Eliminator
You want to buy my dooley scoop? It is brand new with a cover and a 9" center to center. I will let it go for cheap....
Thanks 78 but i just found one today.

cyclone
01-24-2004, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by roostwear
When it's time to plumb that beast, let me know and we'll break out the benders, mill some bitchen brackets, and do it RIGHT!
i can always use help so be prepared to work and kick down some new t-shirts. mine are all wrecked from workin on the boat.

cyclone
01-24-2004, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Jetdriver
Very sick Mike!!!! Maybe this year at CBBB Ill get to ride in it!
i'm going to try and curb my driving habits at cbbb this year. i'd like to burn less fuel and meet more people. but i'm sure i can be bribed with frosty cold one. :D

cyclone
01-24-2004, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by superdave013
Mike, you going to run a stud girdle?
i dont believe afr has stud girdles for the bbc heads yet. you cant use a normal one because the valve angles are rolled 2 degrees toward the intake port.

cyclone
01-24-2004, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
what's next??? injected? why only do 900 when 1,000 sounds so much better. any plans for a blue bottle?
I guess 94 wasn't enough:rolleyes: must be itching for the century mark.:D
my hats off to you. nice toy!!!
Omega
with the hardware i'm running and the available fuel, 900 is a bit more realistic number. injection would be great but i've just about hit the ceiling on my budget for this motor.

cyclone
01-24-2004, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by 77charger
Dont worry i 'll have my flat ready:D and i will race:) .Anyhow the motor looks good what made you go with the weiand blower?My buddy has one on his placecraft also.When will it be ready and are you still plannin on racing it this year 1st race is in march the 20-21st at ming ]
the weiand works good and is fairly cheap. And i still plan on racing in march. still have to re-rig the boat but i should have plenty of time.

cyclone
01-24-2004, 08:06 PM
jer
i'll be happy to get to 100 real quick. i'm not too interested in going faster than that. But if the boat doesn't get squirrely over 100 mph then i guess any more speed will just be gravy at that point.

cyclone
01-24-2004, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by HARDIN18
cyclone
Is that a ZZ502?
If it is, what did you do to it to make it a MARINE engine?
hardin- the short block was a ZZ502. i re-used the rods, crank and block. everything else is new now and it dispalces 508.5cid
I added brass freeze plugs to the block. that's all you really need to do to run it as a boat motor.

Danhercules
01-24-2004, 11:24 PM
Hey mike, ya got like 8 responces to all the posts, yet no responce to any of the "sticker" jokes. What gives? Its the off season, we need somthin to read!!!:p

LVjetboy
01-25-2004, 02:28 AM
Gravy's all good.
I understand top speed not cool to talk about for those "in the know" But true top speed for a lake jet racer actually does tell something important about performance, contrary to the more specialized pro race oriented view. As in: A good measure of lake king satus. For a lake racer what else? Most lake races don't start from idle or a rope...watching the tree. Rather a pull-up-along-side, already well above plane and pump loading speed and give a nod sorta thing? Then whoever pulls ahead is king. In that situation, top speed does give a big clue to acceleration and who'll be king.
In THAT case pump loading not the issue...
In THAT case consistency not the issue...
In THAT case top speed does make sense.
Not always appreciated or even acknowledged by your typical pro racer, or those "in the know." The details of launch, loading, consistency, ET their focus.
Of course if your goal is the organized 1/4 mile, that's a different goal. Go for it. Then tell me about consistency and ET or how fast you get there. Otherwise, top speed's king for most lake jets. And the more gravy the better!
jer

Moomawnster
01-25-2004, 03:18 AM
I am no where near you guys in performance but if ya race me it WILL be from a standing start ..... then when ya pull by me half a mile down the lake you can say you won ! ;) ;) ;) :D
I wish ! beautiful motor man , I want a blower but my mechanic won't let me !

LVjetboy
01-25-2004, 04:04 AM
You're right, that pull by you after a 1/2 mile is a stretch. :)
But seriously, in a lake race, when you and your potential victim are going the same way up the same canyon, how exactly do you "insist" on that standing start? Not gonna happen. I say, for the most part, it won't happen. You race from alongside at whatever speed you overtake or he overtakes, and usually that's well above plane speed. My experience at least 50 mph.
If you're lake racing from a standing start, then it's probably exiting the bouy's at the marina (not so much standing but close) or at some organize lake race event. If an organized event then you may approach race boat status and goals.
jer

Moomawnster
01-25-2004, 06:20 AM
Well , as you put it .... Not gonna happen ! :D If yer gonna run like that then do it for 10 miles or 20 .... 100?

blownrat
01-25-2004, 09:18 AM
very nice cyclone, yes your close on hp, 505 ci 8-71, 6psi , 93oct 32 timing. 932hp at 6100, 810tq 4100, its allllll goood

Moomawnster
01-25-2004, 09:24 AM
810 ft lbs at 4100rpm ? Wow :eek:

victorfb
01-25-2004, 09:25 AM
mike, im thinking we need to use spell check on the the name "cyclone", im pretty sure in your case it should be "psych-clone" :D

BiggusJimbus
01-25-2004, 09:29 AM
I would guess that TM refers to Torque Monster.
All I can think of.

HBjet
01-26-2004, 01:03 AM
Wow, how did I miss this thread? Anyways..... looking good Mike!
As for the TM comment, I ment was TR (Tunnel Ram) for some reason I put in the M....
Anyways.... yeah Mike, why not 1000hp since your so close? Maybe Omega can tell us how little you would have to spend to get 1000hp without the bottle on 91 octane pump gas? I mean, going from 300-400hp is cheap right? So going from 900-1000hp should cost the same!
I like the rocker arms.... couldn't afford the Pro Magnums huh? J/K
Blown, I think a bigger sticker isn't going to help. These might!
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/2355valvecover.jpg
Cyclone can add his blower, and he will be faster then me...
My plans for later in the year is to work on color coordination.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/2355giveme2.jpg
I think one of these would look nice!
HBjet

LVjetboy
01-26-2004, 01:52 AM
I've got a much lighter one for sale :)
jer

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
01-26-2004, 05:28 AM
As for the TM comment, I ment was TR (Tunnel Ram) for some reason I put in the M....
Anyways.... yeah Mike, why not 1000hp since your so close? Maybe Omega can tell us how little you would have to spend to get 1000hp without the bottle on 91 octane pump gas? I mean, going from 300-400hp is cheap right? So going from 900-1000hp should cost the same!
HBjet
hope that SCAT crap holds up for you!;) :D blue bottle is nice. hell with a 250hp shot that would put you at the 1,000hp mark or close anyways right HB... so are you going with a plate system or direct port???? have either one of you guys installed a jetaway yet? I'm thinking a shutdown at or above 100mph could be very very rough....safety first
Omega

Blown 472
01-26-2004, 08:54 AM
HBjet
Do those valve covers make more hp then say a set of morosos??

HBjet
01-26-2004, 01:04 PM
hope that SCAT crap holds up for you!;) :D blue bottle is nice. hell with a 250hp shot that would put you at the 1,000hp mark or close anyways right HB... so are you going with a plate system or direct port???? have either one of you guys installed a jetaway yet? I'm thinking a shutdown at or above 100mph could be very very rough....safety first
Omega
SCAT Crap? Why is that again?
Yeah, the blue bottle is nice. I'm surprised one of you didn't suggest a better head, or something along those lines. I will run a 250 shot, and it will be a plate system. I'll only need it for the first 3-4 seconds I'm guessing, but I will always race someone without the bottle first. Jetaway, no. I think Cyclone got one. I would have to move my intake back one inch, and motor forward a few more, which would then hit my interior, so I would then need to change that too. I would like to have one, but I don't see any plans for one soon. Besides, I don't know how often it happens to you guys out there, but my motor doesn't shut down on it's own. I will be getting a lifeline jacket for sure, and after taking a closer look at the Performance jacket verses the Standard Racing jacket, I'm going with the Standard one.
Blown, you bet your ass they make more HP...
HBjet

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
01-26-2004, 01:35 PM
Yeah, the blue bottle is nice. I'm surprised one of you didn't suggest a better head, or something along those lines. I will run a 250 shot, and it will be a plate system. I'll only need it for the first 3-4 seconds I'm guessing, but I will always race someone without the bottle first. Jetaway, no. I think Cyclone got one. I would have to move my intake back one inch, and motor forward a few more, which would then hit my interior, so I would then need to change that too. I would like to have one, but I don't see any plans for one soon. Besides, I don't know how often it happens to you guys out there, but my motor doesn't shut down on it's own. I will be getting a lifeline jacket for sure, and after taking a closer look at the Performance jacket verses the Standard Racing jacket, I'm going with the Standard one.
HBjet
I personally have heard several horror stories of SCAT cranks and rods giving up prematurly. I hope they have revised their QA procedures and tightened up a little but that remains to be seen. Some folks have had great luck with them. Maybe you'll get lucky.
trading safety for interior room:confused: seems reasonable:rolleyes:
as for an unexpected shutdown. yeah it happened to me when a piece of trash clogged the fuel filter, although an unexpected shutdown at 50mph is a lot different than 100mph or so I have heard:eek: now that you have said your engine never shuts down you have ginxed (sp) yourself;)
the direct port injection is much easier to upsize later. I'm sure that DNE bulletproof rig should handle a 500hp shot..:)nitrous is like hp there is never enough.
good luck and be safe. pray that DNE motor never shuts down at WOT.
will the jacket be blue to match the rig also???
Omega

HBjet
01-26-2004, 01:51 PM
No, I'm not trading safety for interior room, so while I'm at it, I might as well, get a capsule installed. You know what, I'm going to buy another boat as well, turn it into a rescue boat and hire a professional crew to operate it and follow me around at the river. You know what though, when I'm not in the boat, and just hangout out with some friends, I could get struck by lightning too. **** it, I should just sell the boat all together huh?
I heard the same stories, and they where all old ones. However, I feel confident with Dave's current results with several motors that where built before mine using the same parts.
Yeah, a shut down would suck. I can't believe you had trash in your fuel filter. What was it.... a Newspaper clipping?
As for up sizing, well, we built this motor with nitrous in mind, and a 250 shot here and there will give me that extra HP and still maintain the reliablilty. Yeah, I know, you have never seen that before. Oh, and wouldn't you agree a 500 shot would be a tad too much for my motor to last that long? Although, you would love to see it blow up and say "told ya so". Sorry Omega, this isn't Daves first rodeo!
The jacket will be blue and grey to match...
HBjet

Blown 472
01-26-2004, 02:04 PM
HBjet
Really?? hows that?:confused:

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
01-26-2004, 02:13 PM
good attitude for safety **** IT!!! I'm gonna have to see if I can get some signs made for work. the trash in my filter was a piece of rubber from the fill hose. it was enough to shut dat bitch down. So I take you use a paint filter when pumping your gas to insure you have no trash in the tank.....
what the hell is this we built the motor crap. Dave built the motor you wrote the check.
as for the 500 shot. your engine has seemed to break the standards in every other way why doubt it's ability to handle above and beyond the norm when it comes to nitrous.
I don't want to see you blow your motor.... especially at WOT. I don't what I would do if I lost my internet buddy;) :p it sure as hell would put a halt to the HBjet fanclub!
Omega

Blown 472
01-26-2004, 02:15 PM
I like the rodeo.

Squirtcha?
01-26-2004, 03:04 PM
the boat lost its sleeper status after the 1st trip to Lost Lake. after that i had everyone on the water wanting to race.
Not to highjack this already highjack'd thread and surely don't want you to take this the wrong way Mike......................but I'm a little disappointed. The thing I was most impressed with regarding your boat, was the fact that you were doing that kinda speed with a single carb. Not that the blower won't be cool, it's just that speeds like that are expected from blower boats, certainly not single carbed rigs like yours was.
Oh well, still looking forward to seeing the completed project....................again!

HBjet
01-26-2004, 03:05 PM
I didn't say "**** It" to safety... I was simply pointing out that I could get hit by lightning too, but the chances are slim. Kinda like getting your fuel filter clogged so fast that your motor will go from running perfect to STOP. All of my lines are fairly new, as well as everything else. I do check my fuel filter every other trip out as well.
Ok, I didn't assemble the motor, Dave did that. But I didn't give Dave a blank check and tell him I want 700hp on 91, call me when it's done! I was just as involved with what parts we where going to use for the motor as you would be building some bad ass DNE spanker out of your garage. One thing I really liked when working with Dave is he did involve you. When something came up, he was on the phone with me with several solutions and I had the choice of what direction we would continue to follow. There was only one part that was purchased for my motor prior to my knowledge of it. That was a new starter because my old started wouldn't clear the new oil pan and it was 2 days prior to the dyno day. I didn't have a problem with that.
So, I didn't just write a check and walk off.... some people do, but not me. Especailly when it's a big check (to me anyway)
Blown, more letters! The more letters you have on a valve cover, the more HP you get from it:D
HBjet

HBjet
01-26-2004, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Squirtcha?
Not to highjack this already highjack'd thread and surely don't want you to take this the wrong way Mike......................but I'm a little disappointed. The thing I was most impressed with regarding your boat, was the fact that you were doing that kinda speed with a single carb. Not the blower won't be cool, it's just that speeds like that are expected from blower boats, certainly not single carbed rigs like yours was.
Oh well, still looking forward to seeing the completed project....................again!
I second you on that for a few reasons. Now I have to spend more money to keep up with him. I do think he's going to go back to the single carb, give it a year or two...
HBjet

Danhercules
01-26-2004, 04:24 PM
what the hell is this we built the motor crap. Dave built the motor you wrote the check.
Omega
I dont know were you come from, but witing a check is work for me. At least a check that would clear. Someone has HB envy!!!! :p

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
01-26-2004, 04:36 PM
This is starting to be another SANDBAR thread:confused: Why is it I read a good thread and it goes into this horsepower/dyno/dne/sticker bullshit???:confused: :confused: I guess I will never understand.............................

HBjet
01-26-2004, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by 396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
Why is it I read a good thread and it goes into this horsepower/dyno/dne/sticker bullshit
It's because I have one, they do not. I hear ya. It's the same dance everytime. If you notice, the HBjet, DNE, Sticker comments where made before I even checked this thread...
Sour Grapes!
HBjet

Blown 472
01-26-2004, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by 396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
This is starting to be another SANDBAR thread:confused: Why is it I read a good thread and it goes into this horsepower/dyno/dne/sticker bullshit???:confused: :confused: I guess I will never understand.............................
I like the rodeo.

Blown 472
01-26-2004, 04:47 PM
It's because I have one, they do not. I hear ya. It's the same dance everytime. If you notice, the HBjet, DNE, Sticker comments where made before I even checked this thread...
Sour Grapes!
HBjet
I like wine and magazine articles.

460rogers
01-26-2004, 05:22 PM
No one will ever bring that up(yea right)

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
01-27-2004, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by riodog
Oh by the way, did you know Westech had their dyno recalibrated? Seems it was reading a tad too high!
Rio
say it isn't so!!!:eek: oh well it made for some good magazine articles!!:)
Omega

HBjet
01-27-2004, 09:23 AM
Hey Rio...
I have a B cut stainless now. Yeah, I know Westech had there dyno recalibrated, it was before I had my motor on there dyno.
HBjet

HBjet
01-27-2004, 09:26 AM
say it isn't so!!!:eek: oh well it made for some good magazine articles!!:)
Omega
Sorry, Omega, it was before I had my motor on there dyno... Struck out again there bud!
HBjet

Brodie
01-27-2004, 09:33 AM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/45IMG_1326-med.JPG
dang. nice and shiney,,,,,
puttin it in a Sanger?

cyclone
01-27-2004, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Squirtcha?
Not to highjack this already highjack'd thread and surely don't want you to take this the wrong way Mike......................but I'm a little disappointed. The thing I was most impressed with regarding your boat, was the fact that you were doing that kinda speed with a single carb. Not that the blower won't be cool, it's just that speeds like that are expected from blower boats, certainly not single carbed rigs like yours was.
I'll admit that the shock value of running that fast with only 1 carb was lots of fun. It opened quite a few people's eyes on the river. But I got bored with it and wanted to go faster. I've never built a blower motor and always wanted to, so this has been a fun learning experience. Besides that, blower whine sounds so friggin' cool!!!:D

victorfb
01-27-2004, 09:41 AM
mike. a gear drive set would give you almost the same whine. lol
i think the blower motor is awsome man. i cant wait to see it run.
P.S. hope you enjoyed your Bday man.:D

cyclone
01-27-2004, 09:42 AM
Gravy's all good.
I understand top speed not cool to talk about for those "in the know" But true top speed for a lake jet racer actually does tell something important about performance, contrary to the more specialized pro race oriented view. As in: A good measure of lake king satus. For a lake racer what else? Most lake races don't start from idle or a rope...watching the tree. Rather a pull-up-along-side, already well above plane and pump loading speed and give a nod sorta thing? Then whoever pulls ahead is king. In that situation, top speed does give a big clue to acceleration and who'll be king.
In THAT case pump loading not the issue...
In THAT case consistency not the issue...
In THAT case top speed does make sense.
Not always appreciated or even acknowledged by your typical pro racer, or those "in the know." The details of launch, loading, consistency, ET their focus.
Of course if your goal is the organized 1/4 mile, that's a different goal. Go for it. Then tell me about consistency and ET or how fast you get there. Otherwise, top speed's king for most lake jets. And the more gravy the better!
jer
i was actually serious when i said i didn't want to go too far past 100mph. In the interest of safety i added a jet-a-way but that doesn't guarantee a safe re-entry if the motor ever lets go or someone cuts me off while running wide open. I want to get to 100 as quick as possible and if the boat is happy at any mph past that mark, then cool. Otherwise, I think i'll be happy at that speed. The main thing i wanted to accomplish was being able to run above 90mph without having to strip my boat down and make it lighter. I'd love to be able to run 100 mph knowing that i've got a cool stereo system on board to listen to once i get where i'm going. :D

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
01-27-2004, 09:45 AM
Sorry, Omega, it was before I had my motor on there dyno... Struck out again there bud!
HBjet
DAMN!!!! how often do they calibrate THEIR dyno anyway???
Omega

HBjet
01-27-2004, 10:11 AM
DAMN!!!! how often do they calibrate THEIR dyno anyway???
Omega
I don't know. Call them!
Phone (909) 685-4767
http://www.westechperformance.com/pages/Information/contact.html
HBjet

Blown 472
01-27-2004, 10:11 AM
i was actually serious when i said i didn't want to go too far past 100mph. In the interest of safety i added a jet-a-way but that doesn't guarantee a safe re-entry if the motor ever lets go or someone cuts me off while running wide open. I want to get to 100 as quick as possible and if the boat is happy at any mph past that mark, then cool. Otherwise, I think i'll be happy at that speed. The main thing i wanted to accomplish was being able to run above 90mph without having to strip my boat down and make it lighter. I'd love to be able to run 100 mph knowing that i've got a cool stereo system on board to listen to once i get where i'm going. :D
make sure you put a belt guard on, kinda ****s up tha day when someone looses their hair.

cyclone
01-27-2004, 10:38 AM
got any ideas on how to build a nice one? i was thinking of bending some sheet aluminum and welding it together.

Blown 472
01-27-2004, 10:42 AM
got any ideas on how to build a nice one? i was thinking of bending some sheet aluminum and welding it together.
Mine was made out of sheet metal I made a front piece that was bigger in diameter then the pulley, it kinda looked like a triangle with a rounded top, then I had six inch strip bent to match the flat piece and welded it from the inside and had a piece of flat stock welded to it that I screwed to the back of the seat. Just make sure it is big enough that the slack in the belt is not hitting it.http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/19MVC-003bS-med.JPG

skeepwerkzaz
01-27-2004, 11:38 AM
Hey Mike,
What are you doing with your old valve train?
The motor looks sweet, should be a rocket.
Good luck,
Clay

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
01-27-2004, 11:49 AM
I think the jet-a-way was a smart investment. you guys have bridged the gap between lake boat and race boat. It's good to hear you are putting safety at a high priority. It only needs to work once to be worth the investment. pretty cool that you can run the engine without turning the pump too:cool:
Omega

Brodie
01-27-2004, 05:42 PM
DUDE you need to check out Billie B in the V drive section,,,,
he has a gaurd that is nice,,,, that motor sits the same waye as in your jetty.
stillgunna race Lookie Louie at LL??
Dang.

Brodie
01-27-2004, 05:44 PM
hear's Billie Be's
http://www.schoutenranch.com/boat/cfw2/images/MVC-002S.jpg

cyclone
01-27-2004, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by skeepwerkzaz
Hey Mike,
What are you doing with your old valve train?
The motor looks sweet, should be a rocket.
Good luck,
Clay
still running it. same rockers, pushrods, lifters etc as what was in the motor last season. no sense tossing perfectly good parts after less than 30hrs of use. thanks!

cyclone
01-27-2004, 07:24 PM
I think the jet-a-way was a smart investment. you guys have bridged the gap between lake boat and race boat. It's good to hear you are putting safety at a high priority. It only needs to work once to be worth the investment. pretty cool that you can run the engine without turning the pump too:cool:
Omega
man if i had the cash and the cajones to cut a hole in my transom then i'd add a pop-off valve too. but running the engine without the pump turning alone was worth the investment.

cyclone
01-27-2004, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Brodie
DUDE you need to check out Billie B in the V drive section,,,,
he has a gaurd that is nice,,,, that motor sits the same waye as in your jetty.
stillgunna race Lookie Louie at LL??
Dang.
that is a very nice guard. i'll have to find out who made it. i like the slots that are cut into it. I'm not looking for anyone in particular at LL. I just want to have a good time.

skeepwerkzaz
01-27-2004, 07:27 PM
Mike,
What about your cam?
Thx,
Clay

DogHouse
01-27-2004, 07:49 PM
i dont believe afr has stud girdles for the bbc heads yet. you cant use a normal one because the valve angles are rolled 2 degrees toward the intake port.
I was under the impression that they used the same stud girdle as the rolled Darts. If that's the case, you can get one from Dart, or Jomar, probably others.
Have fun and be safe with that new toy!
-brian

cyclone
01-27-2004, 08:26 PM
getting closer....http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/45IMG_1358-med.JPG

Blown 472
01-27-2004, 08:33 PM
When is dyno day?

cyclone
01-27-2004, 08:36 PM
i decided against putting it on the dyno.

77charger
01-27-2004, 08:39 PM
mike talk to bill scotten(cp boats) he knows a of a guy who can make a custum blower cover.

Blown 472
01-27-2004, 08:50 PM
i decided against putting it on the dyno.
You up on your plug reading? start fat and underdriven.

Cs19
01-27-2004, 08:52 PM
Lookin good cyclone! Glad to hear your going with an intercooler. Im surprised to hear your not running it on the dyno though.
I also know of a fabricator in costa mesa who can fab up a cover for you, he does top notch stuff.. Hes about a mile from MPD, let me know if you need a number. Cs19

1slowboat
01-27-2004, 09:05 PM
looks sweeeeet cyclone, glad your all about safety on this one..lots of peps want to go fast and dont think about safety..:D
keep up the good work, and post some more progress pics.

cyclone
01-27-2004, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Blown 472
You up on your plug reading? start fat and underdriven.
who needs to read plugs? ill just take it to the track and run it. then you can tell me how its running? :D

cyclone
01-27-2004, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Brodie
dang. nice and shiney,,,,,
puttin it in a Sanger?
nah its going in my Rogers.

cyclone
01-27-2004, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by cs19
Lookin good cyclone! Glad to hear your going with an intercooler. Im surprised to hear your not running it on the dyno though.
I also know of a fabricator in costa mesa who can fab up a cover for you, he does top notch stuff.. Hes about a mile from MPD, let me know if you need a number. Cs19
ya pm me that number. i dont trust my TIG welding skills enough to tackle that project. besides, i own zero sheetmetal tools either.

cyclone
01-27-2004, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by 1slowboat
looks sweeeeet cyclone, glad your all about safety on this one..lots of peps want to go fast and dont think about safety..:D
keep up the good work, and post some more progress pics.
thanks man. ill keep posting the intersting ones.

Blown 472
01-27-2004, 09:13 PM
who needs to read plugs? ill just take it to the track and run it. then you can tell me how its running? :D
Make sure you include a vid and some burnt pistons.:p

cyclone
01-27-2004, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Blown 472
Make sure you include a vid and some burnt pistons.:p
what's a burnt piston?

Blown 472
01-27-2004, 09:18 PM
what's a burnt piston?
I am sure you will find out the hard way.:p

cyclone
01-27-2004, 09:21 PM
well heat equals power so i hope them pistons are burning red hot!

Blown 472
01-27-2004, 09:22 PM
well heat equals power so i hope them pistons are burning red hot!
giddy up

cyclone
01-27-2004, 09:23 PM
git er done

Blown 472
01-27-2004, 09:27 PM
git er done
Knock out a tooth and let it rip.

565edge
01-27-2004, 09:38 PM
Cyclone the motor looks good.Is that one of johns coolers?Lightning mfg (lighning headers)makes a nice blower guard.They are in elsinore.The jetaway is a smart choice.Lets see some more pics of your tundra.

TRG
01-27-2004, 09:45 PM
damn mike...if that thing gets any taller...your gonna have to fig a way around wind drag! lol
looks grea bro!
todd

cyclone
01-27-2004, 09:46 PM
something i never thought of... the boat cover is gonna need some alterations. lol

cyclone
Originally posted by 565edge
Cyclone the motor looks good.Is that one of johns coolers?Lightning mfg (lighning headers)makes a nice blower guard.They are in elsinore.The jetaway is a smart choice.Lets see some more pics of your tundra.
i dont think i have any new pics of the tundra other than the ones from glamis.

TRG
&happy b-day...sorry could not get over there for the bowling thing! looked like you guys had a great time!

Cs19
01-27-2004, 09:55 PM
Back seat might need a notching too. This ones done nicely.
I like this cover, its clean looking and pretty basic.
http://home.comcast.net/~jamcclure1/CP19/CP19_open_bow4.jpg

cyclone
01-27-2004, 09:58 PM
that's along the lines of what i was thinking of making. i have plenty of room to move the engine cover forward and notch it for the belt guard. It'd be nice if i could just have the upper half fabbed to fit into my existing lower pulley cover.

MikeF
01-27-2004, 10:22 PM
I can't see how those larger fuel tanks are gonna make the next trip to the fuel dock any longer!:p :D

HBjet
01-28-2004, 12:14 AM
Looking good Mike!
CS19, who's CP is that?
HBjet

shaun
01-28-2004, 02:06 AM
Cyclone: This was mentioned way back but i noticed you where in fullerton. I'm not too far from you (about 30-35 min) but theres a 76 Station about 25 min from you (in el toro/lake forest area) that sells 105 Octane fuel from the pump. probably not worth it for you to drive all that way just to fill your tanks.

Bense468
01-28-2004, 08:30 AM
git er done
You got me madder then a skinhead watching the Jefferson’s.
I am more frustrated then a legless Ethiopian watching a donut roll down the hill

HBjet
01-28-2004, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by Bense468
I am more frustrated then a legless Ethiopian watching a donut roll down the hill
I don't care who you are, that's funny!
HBjet:D

cyclone
01-28-2004, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by MikeF
I can't see how those larger fuel tanks are gonna make the next trip to the fuel dock any longer!:p :D
i need to devise a way to curb my driving habits. something like every time i'm sitting at the sandbar and get the urge to drive the boat, someone poors a beer down my throat. that'll keep me from getting behind the wheel so often. :D

cyclone
01-28-2004, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Shaun
Cyclone: This was mentioned way back but i noticed you where in fullerton. I'm not too far from you (about 30-35 min) but theres a 76 Station about 25 min from you (in el toro/lake forest area) that sells 105 Octane fuel from the pump. probably not worth it for you to drive all that way just to fill your tanks.
maybe not for every trip but there will be an occasion when i'll need it. thanks for the info. the station by my house stopped selling it last year.

cyclone
01-28-2004, 08:55 AM
that's one funny redneck.

Danhercules
01-28-2004, 09:06 AM
i need to devise a way to curb my driving habits. something like every time i'm sitting at the sandbar and get the urge to drive the boat, someone poors a beer down my throat. that'll keep me from getting behind the wheel so often. :D
I will supply the beer bong!!! Its ALWAYS in my boat!!!

MikeF
01-28-2004, 09:12 AM
Shaun,
What are the major cross streets to the station?

BGMAN203
01-28-2004, 09:18 AM
From what I have heard 76 has stopped making all forms of race gas.

BGMAN203
01-28-2004, 09:25 AM
getting closer....http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/45IMG_1358-med.JPG
Mike, you got thoes blower pullies on backwards. The small one goes on the blower, and the big one goes on the crankshaft.:D But if your still looking for race gas, pm me. I can hook you up with a place that will even deliver it to you for free.
Brian

Cs19
01-28-2004, 09:43 AM
I wasn't aware that 76 station in Lake Forest sold 100 out of the pump. I know there is one in Newport Beach and one off Imperial Highway that sells it, atleast used to ...The stuff they sell out of the pump is 100 octane w/ no lead.
Hbjet, it's a local guy who boats below lost lake. Its a 19 cp gullwing bowrider. It's very clean, and from what I understand the owner did most of the work himself.
http://home.comcast.net/~jamcclure1/CP19/CP19_open_bow3.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~jamcclure1/CP19/CP19_open_bow5.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~jamcclure1/CP19/CP19_open_bow2.jpg

Big Proppa
01-28-2004, 09:50 AM
WOW cyclone - that has got to be the second prettiest motor I have ever seen. just kidding bro - she looks great and I'm sure she'll run hard as hell.
Looking forward to this summer.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/16MVC-892F-med.JPG

cyclone
01-28-2004, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by BGMAN203
Mike, you got thoes blower pullies on backwards. The small one goes on the blower, and the big one goes on the crankshaft.:D But if your still looking for race gas, pm me. I can hook you up with a place that will even deliver it to you for free.
Brian
thanks for the offer, brian. when the time comes ill hit you up for it. oh and the pulley's are on correctly. I don't need tons of boost to pass your ass on the river. :eek!: :D

Bense468
01-28-2004, 10:31 AM
I just bought (6) 5 gallon gas cans of 76 race gas for Glamis this weekend. They are sitting in my garage at home. So unless you know something I don't they still sell it.

cyclone
01-28-2004, 10:34 AM
big proppa- you win my vote for tallest motor in town! how soon until you're ready to drag the trailer back out to big river?

flat broke
01-28-2004, 11:08 AM
The 76 in Mission Viejo at La Paz and the 405 has the juice. I think its only on one or two pumps, but they DO have it. I haven't checked the prices lately, but around christmas it was running just under $3/gallon
Chris

BGMAN203
01-28-2004, 11:14 AM
I just bought (6) 5 gallon gas cans of 76 race gas for Glamis this weekend. They are sitting in my garage at home. So unless you know something I don't they still sell it.
Yes, they are still selling it, but Unical Oil Co. has stopped manufacturing/refining high performance gasoline. I am sure there are still suppliers that have gas, but when that runs out its all over. Hense why 76 got out of nascar.

Big Proppa
01-28-2004, 11:56 AM
Their is a place off of the 10 freeway and cedar avenue in bloomington that sells race gas at the pump, or fill your own drum, or buy a new drum. Alot of options I think from 100 to 114 octane.
Also the 76 station on foothill blvd in rancho cucamonga 2 blocks west of haven off of the 10 also has 110 in 5's and 100 at the pump.

Hotcrusader76
01-28-2004, 12:29 PM
Going with a belt drive fuel pump? Awesome. Which one are you going with?
~Ty

Hotcrusader76
01-28-2004, 12:30 PM
nevermind....I think that was BP's motor:D