PDA

View Full Version : V-drive meet

Sangerboy
01-23-2004, 06:23 PM
I have been working with the officials at Lake Casitas about having a V-drive boat show/regatta. I'm trying to set it up for the 4th or 5th Sunday in February, response from them has been encouraging so far- they would have no problem with open headers on that day but they are a bit gunshy about lifting the speed limit (40 mph) for the boats that would be running ( HTM and Castaic are still a little to fresh in their memories). One thing that could sway them is of course $$$$$ If a lot of boats would show up (40 or 50) it would turn a generally poor income off season day into a bit of a bonanza for them. They also have very nice camping facilities for those who would be interested in staying overnight there (also a benefit for them dollar wise). I was planning on charging $25.00 for the event which would include day use admission and 1 t-shirt. That could change if more fees are required and depending on the level of interest. Please post here so I can get and idea of the level of interest. If they do not budge on the speed issue I won't pursue it any further. Also since I have never done anything like this before any good ideas and suggestions are welcome, Greg.

Sangerboy
01-23-2004, 06:25 PM
BTW Lake Casitas is near Ojai CA about 10 miles north of Ventura on Hwy 33.

SPECTRABRENT
01-23-2004, 07:05 PM
If Casitas will not host it, why not try Lake Ming?
I would attend it.
Brent

Moneypitt
01-23-2004, 08:07 PM
Hey, you HAVE been doing your homework Greg... Lake Casitas has LOTS of camping in the off season, and could be fun. Lake Ming also has possibilties, as I said over on v-drive.com, you know I'm up for it, count me in.......BTW, Super Bowl Sunday, (early) is the next attempt to "slide" past the patrol boat, Join us??

fourspeednup
01-23-2004, 08:20 PM
Casitas is a bitchen place. Real laid back. Very few if any water cops. I've gone a little over 40 there;) So long as you stay behind the island and away from the campground it's cool. No body contact though.

Dragboat Dad
01-23-2004, 09:22 PM
Sounds good to me Greg. I'd like to camp out and tell a few lies around the campfire.

LASERRAY
01-23-2004, 09:57 PM
Casitas is one of the country's best Bass holes. So try not to P.O. The anglers you guys.:D And BTW, the Boatcops will shaft you on the speed runs, so make nice nice with them BEFORE you showcase them horseys.:)

bonesfab
01-24-2004, 12:14 PM
casitas is cool. a friend had a blown alcohal flat with zoomies up there. they actually let in the water. you should of heard it behind the island. let me know greg i might be inclined to dust off the minnow. just keep the speed behind the island. never had any problems up there.

LASERRAY
01-25-2004, 09:26 PM
Went to Casitas today and put a couple hours on the new floatie.
It was perfect. Glass all day, hardly anyone on the lake, good water level, and zero boatcops! Opened er' up a little behind the Island to about 60mph. No hassles. Just a perfect day.:cool:

Fired Up
01-26-2004, 11:04 AM
I believe the winter schedule for the lake is weekends only. It is a good idea to meet with the patrol and his beagle first before they come to meet with you.

Moneypitt
01-26-2004, 05:44 PM
Hey, that ranger didn't have a dog with him, unless you mean........oh, yeah I guess he did..............woof, woof....
Lakes open 7 days, just the main ramp weekdays through the winter. See you on Sunday Sam, BTW anybody heard from e ticket??....................Moneypitt/Ray

Schiada76
01-26-2004, 05:45 PM
I'm In! Slowpoke will be there too.:D

Fired Up
01-26-2004, 05:49 PM
Yeah, thats what I meant Moneypitt. .......the lake is open 7 days. I was referring to the patrol being on weekends only. Spoke with e-ticket yesterday. Still has out of town company, but sounded like he'd be there.

Moneypitt
01-26-2004, 06:07 PM
Hey Brad are you really gonna come play with us...Bitchen...Gotta be an early type day, Super Bowl kicks off @ 3:25....You know which ramp, right?............Ray

79 Howard
01-26-2004, 08:30 PM
I don't know really if their is enough room for 40 or 50 big ponies on the lake

79 Howard
01-26-2004, 08:34 PM
I like the idea of getting something together in ventura county, but really we are limited with what we have here and of course no water contac is a drag

Moneypitt
01-26-2004, 08:47 PM
79, where do you call home?? Locally to Casitas?? ...............Moneypitt

LASERRAY
01-26-2004, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by 79 Howard
I don't know really if their is enough room for 40 or 50 big ponies on the lake If next week is like it was on Sunday, no problem. Unfortunately I don't think that you're going to have much luck getting the 40 mph limit raised. I have been going to Casitas my whole life, and they have always catered to the Angeler, not the recreational boater. And Bass fishing is their bread and butter.:cool: Good Luck anyway. If you guys do get clearance, then I'll be there to gawk at your boats.:eek:

Sangerboy
01-26-2004, 09:44 PM
Well I'll see everyone sunday am, So far the speed issue is proving to be a barrier, the ranger I've been talking to called me today and said it didn't seem likely that they'd lift the speed limit. So now I have a few other ideas and angles that I'll come at the issue with. I'm not near ready to give up yet:D .

coolchange
01-27-2004, 07:51 AM
Its been my experience that if you say we want come up there (anywhere) and do this{anything} most places are fine with it.
But when you say we are going to film it, or we want you(them) to change this (anything) then they want you to go through head office and get permits and releases and rolls of red tape and pay fees and proof of insurance and, and... With a small group IMHO its better to lay low and just go unnoticed and most of the time they will let it slide if its not out of control. I may just have to come up there for breakfast and hang a while.

Fired Up
01-27-2004, 09:19 AM
Show up time of 8:00am . Maybe get a few more passes in before the weekenders show up, and get home before kick-off.

Schiada76
01-27-2004, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Moneypitt
Hey Brad are you really gonna come play with us...Bitchen...Gotta be an early type day, Super Bowl kicks off @ 3:25....You know which ramp, right?............Ray
I meant for the 4th or 5th weekend in Feb. in Parker last weekend and don't think I can make it this weekend.:(

Brodie
01-27-2004, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Sangerboy
Well I'll see everyone sunday am, So far the speed issue is proving to be a barrier, the ranger I've been talking to called me today and said it didn't seem likely that they'd lift the speed limit. So now I have a few other ideas and angles that I'll come at the issue with. I'm not near ready to give up yet:D .
well iim gunna show up.
sanger-boy, you bringing the Sanger out? I'd drive from Norco to see that jem,,,,,,

Sangerboy
01-27-2004, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Brodie
well iim gunna show up.
sanger-boy, you bringing the Sanger out? I'd drive from Norco to see that jem,,,,,,
Sorry Brodie it's at Billy's shop being transformed into a real gem:) But I will have the Canyon there:D

Moneypitt
01-31-2004, 08:46 PM
I'm ready.....is it time?......are we there yet?...can we leave now?As I wrote in the "slow" thread, all I've got to do is turn the truck key and GO!!!!!!...........Moneypitt

fourspeednup
02-01-2004, 04:07 PM
Did you guys get out there today? How was it?:cool:

gochappy
02-01-2004, 06:21 PM
so where are the pics from today?

Moneypitt
02-01-2004, 09:02 PM
Once again Lake Casitas proved to be almost perfect. Conditions at 8:45 were just a bit chilly, but by 9:15 the sweatshirts were off and T shirts and lifejackets were the fashion of the day..Sorry no pics today, the usual photogs weren't there. Gary (e ticket), Sam (fired up), scott (scott 72), and me, Ray(moneypit) and my son Randy with his jet had a great day. Hauling ass, busting glass, and generally enjoying the day in Sunny So Cal.......Wish you all had these conditions close to home, and could enjoy a safe day of boating year round...Nobody broke, nobody got hurt, gotta call it a great day!!!!!!!!!............Moneypitt

e-ticket
02-01-2004, 10:05 PM
Teally had a good time with all of the guys. Great boating day.
Pulled up to the ramp and the truck was reading 37 degrees, but warmed up quickly with alot of sunshine. Good to meet Scot74 who came all of the way from Burbank (about an 1.5 hr tow). He has a 74 Nordic that was quite impressive (building one myself which I hope will equal his). Got 7000rpm out of my new motor on it's fourth run. That is up 500rpm from last time. Think I am going to have to get the rpm back down. Probably need a gear change. Running 12's but don't know whether to go 18's or maybe 22's. Suggestions? I need to get the boat to lay down and take a set better. Seems to be porposing a bit. Will have to go a different prop. With getting more out of the boat, I think I better start searching for a "circle boat seat". I'm looking forward to another outing. Lot's of fun guys!

Hallett
02-01-2004, 11:44 PM
no pics what kind of frends are you guys some of us have
to work . we need pics lots of them:confused:

Sangerboy
02-02-2004, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by HALLETT
no pics what kind of frends are you guys some of us have
to work . we need pics lots of them:confused:
Sorry guys, this is the first one of these that i've missed and I usually take the pictures. Unfortunately I was home feeling crappy all weekend, increasing the value of anyone's portfolio that holds stock in Kleenex:frown: . glad to hear everyone ran well and stayed safe:cool:

Fired Up
02-02-2004, 11:41 AM
I agree with all of the above. It was a great day to be on the water. Not many recreational boaters and only a few fisherman AND no ranger to be seen. I'd say it was good planning going on Superbowl Sunday. That's right no pictures of the day....we were all too busy keeping both hands on the wheel tearing up the water to take time to be shutter bugs. We thought a few more folks might show based on some of the responses to the thread, but the four boats that did show had the water all to themselves. Moneypitt did us all proud by bringing the necessary refreshments....Fired Up forgot the necessary snacks. My boat is all cleaned, wiped, drained and put away for a while. But it was a good day to go out and stand on it! We missed ya' Sangerboy!! Next time.......

Moneypitt
02-02-2004, 09:36 PM
Well CFS guys, the rain dance worked!! We've got RAIN. It rained pretty good here in Newbury Park, slacked off for now, but the heavy rain here means it rained even harder in the hills and canyons around Casitas. We NEED the rain, and Monday/Tuesday is a great time for it to rain... The extended forcast shows SUN for Sunday, (somebody bring the sun screen this time). Anybody UP for SUNDAY???????.(I have no shame)..........Moneypitt

Fired Up
02-02-2004, 09:43 PM
Long Beach Performance Swap Meet is Sunday Moneypitt! Parts...need more Parts!

Moneypitt
02-02-2004, 10:10 PM
Sam, years ago I use to take truck loads of shit to Pomona to sell, They (staff) started treating the sellers like second class citizens, so I quit going. (I also bought alot of stuff between 12M and the 5am opening to the public). I heard about the LB meet, but have never been there, just not convienient. Don't you worry about the "History" of the parts there? I mean without a magnaflux how can you buy blocks, cranks, or heads? Are you lookng for anything in particular? .............Ray
PS...Casale seal housing? at a swap meet!!!

Fired Up
02-03-2004, 11:19 AM
Sometimes its not always the specific part I'm looking for, but the deal you find when you least expect it. Besides, I'd much rather go out and spend the morning looking at cars, boats, engines,etc.....than watching TV. My parents live close to the LB meet so it gives me a good reason to go down and spend time with them. And if there is a big $ item I want I try and do my homework long before I drop down the cash at the swap meet. There are some legitimate people like Dale Ishimaru and Dan Aaseth (Canyon Marine) who sell there. I've bought from them before and will in the future. The nice thing about LB is you can walk it twice in one morning, not like Pomona where you have to sprint just to get through it once. And the parking is FREE!

Moneypitt
02-03-2004, 05:32 PM
OKAY..You're excused...(But only you)........Moneypitt

Fired Up
02-03-2004, 09:33 PM
Gracias amigo.