PDA

View Full Version : Salt Water

CARRERA
01-24-2004, 01:37 AM
Can any one tell me (if any) what are the do's and don't, when putting a boat in "Salt Water".
Like what should one do before and after.

svlperry
01-24-2004, 05:19 AM
just don't do it it ruines your boat,motor,trailer

hot_diggity_dog
01-24-2004, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by svlperry
Just make sure you flush your motor and rinse the trailer and brakes down real good.
HHHHMMMMMM since when did using your boat the way it was intended, ruin it.
HDD

CA Stu
01-24-2004, 06:37 AM
After you put your boat in the drink, hose off your trailer before you park it, too.
Most launch ramps have washdown racks and/or faucets nearby. Make sure you bring a garden hose, bucket, towels, etc. with you...
Corrosion is a bitch!
Cheers
CA Stu

Havasu Hangin'
01-24-2004, 06:38 AM
I'd pull the whells off the trailer and WD-40 the lugs and brake components before you dip the trailer. Maybe put some grease on any exposed electrical connections.
I'd also touch up any scratches.
Other than that, flush the motor good (some use Saltaway?) and wash the trailer down with soap and water...make sure you to get the brakes.
Soap and water on the interior, too.

beer hunter
01-24-2004, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by svlperry
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
..........Just do as HDD said :) I use Salt Away to flush the motor after each use. I would be far more concerned with rust on the trailer. I have the Extreme “Galva Tube” trailer so rust isn't much of an issue :)

CA Stu
01-24-2004, 08:16 AM
I have a galvanized trailer, too, but listen to me now and believe me later, galvanized does NOT mean rust-proof.
It will slow down rusting, but not totally eliminate it.
My damn trailer wheels got a nice dusting of rust after being dipped in the ocean once or twice :mad:
CA Stu

HCS
01-24-2004, 08:20 AM
Make sure you dump the body out far enough so it doesn't wash
back onto the shore.

BADBLOWN572
01-24-2004, 08:45 AM
When we dip out Carrera 28 in the salt, we shoot everything down with WD40. We spray the whole trailer especially the brakes and rotors. As soon as we get the boat off, we instantly head up to the wash racks and wash the trailer off instantly. After you get the boat out go over to the racks again and wash the trailer and boat very well. We usually let the boat run on the hose for about 15 min while we wash the boat off. We have had our 28 in salt several times and never have had a problem. Where you begin to have a problem is when you have aluminum heads or parts on your motor. If I recall, your boat has the 500hp or the 496 in it so I would not be worried at all.

CARRERA
01-24-2004, 10:24 AM
I'm getting a lot of different information from each and everyone that has replyed to my post. Some saying not to do it, others saying "do it, no problem".
I think, we should all keep in mind that rust do not come up over night. It is something that happens over a period of time.
Anyway, it seem to me that it is a lot of work. Therefore, needless to say, I just will not do it.

LeavinOn6
01-24-2004, 10:49 AM
No doubt salt water is harder on your boat and trailer than fresh. However if you take time flush the motor and wash the boat and trailer you can minimize the effects. You bought it to enjoy it, so I say use it, but take care of it. I would rather be having a cold one out at the island, than sitting in the parking lot looking out at the ocean. Just my two cents worth.

Havasu Cig
01-24-2004, 05:59 PM
I have an aluminum trailor, so rust in that area is not much of a problem. I wash the trailer off after it comes out of the water, and make sure I get the brake components good.
After we are done with the boat, the motors gets flushed with fresh water for about 10 minutes a side, then salt away until it foams out of the exhaust. You want to leave it in the motor because it neutralizes the salt.
I then wash the boat, motors and bilge as well, with soap and water. I use an industrial deionizer to rinse so I don't get any spots. If you mantain the boat you wont have a problem.
I saw boats and trailer at DSM that were owned buy people that took little care of them, and they still held up relatively well in the salt.
There was a 42 Tiger up there on a painted MYCO that did not have a bit of rust on it after a few years of use. The owners have three Cigs, and a 65' Sunseeker so money is obviously not a problem. Therefor they really don't take care of the boats the way they should, but they still look good. The quality of the trailer obviously makes a difference as well.
Boating in the ocean is a blast.

WILD LAVEY
01-26-2004, 02:13 AM
carrera, you can launch from redondo. they have a hoist that lifts the boat from the trailer to the water. the trailer never gets wet. as far as the motor flush with salt away and wd 40 on the drive tabs ect. before and after.

HavasuDreamin'
01-26-2004, 08:50 AM
Have the boat hoisted in the water, eliminates all the cleaning brain damage on the trailer. :)

Froggystyle
01-26-2004, 12:22 PM
This may not be a great option to you guys, but it has worked extremely well for me in the past...
Go dunk your boat in fresh water and drive it for a while after a saltwater escapade. Leave the trailer in for as long as you can, and go blast around for a little while. Pull the trailer out, then back in and it will help clean the salt water out of the insides of the trailer. The problem with rinsing it down, is that it cuts down on the visible corrosion, but the trailer has drain/fill holes on the bottom of it, and a lot of water gets in to the tubes while launching. By dunking it in fresh water, you will go a long way towards solving your problem. I happen to have a freshwater lake 10 minutes from my house, so it is easier for me than some of you, but you get the picture.

Steamin' Rice
01-26-2004, 01:07 PM
Like the others have said, be sure to wash down your trailer and it will help to fight the rust. Froggy's suggestion of running around in a freshwater lake is probably the best way to really get rid of the salt, but you can still do a pretty good job with a hose. I generally will wash the trailer right after launching the boat so that it doesn't sit in the sun all day with Salt Water on it. when washing the trailer, I take the hose nozzle and fill up the trailer tubes from the drain holes in the bottom of the trailer. This seems to work fairly well and it only take a few extra minutes to do. Also, use salt away and WD-40 to help fight rust. If you happen to get some rust on your trailer wheels, use SOS pads and the rust will come right off....

CARRERA
01-26-2004, 05:05 PM
Sounds good to me.......

77charger
01-26-2004, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by CA Stu
After you put your boat in the drink, hose off your trailer before you park it, too.
Most launch ramps have washdown racks and/or faucets nearby. Make sure you bring a garden hose, bucket, towels, etc. with you...
Corrosion is a bitch!
Cheers
CA Stu I would say the same it is easier to clean the trailer if you hose off after puttin in the water and again after you pull it out a pain in the ass but worth it.If the salt dries you have more scrubbin to do.

77charger
01-26-2004, 05:53 PM
Another thing i have done was use a can of wd40 and spray the trailer before launch it does work good.:D