PDA

View Full Version : Source for hole saws?

topgun
01-24-2004, 03:48 PM
I'm looking for a deep (5-8" long and a 1 3/8" diameter) hole saw. I've been all over the net and came up dry. Does anyone have a source, it's for the propshaft hole in the bottom of my boat. I seem to remember something about Universal saw in Santa Fe Springs, CA. Does anyone have a source for these deep hole saws?
Thanks,
John H.:confused:

coolchange
01-24-2004, 04:30 PM
prop shaft drill is a specialty item. Basically a prop hub with cutters on it that goes on a prop shaft thru the strut and attach to a drill motor.

GofastRacer
01-24-2004, 07:25 PM
Universal Saw is the place!..
Universal Saw Co
13316 Arctic Cir, Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
(562) 921-8832

topgun
01-24-2004, 09:39 PM
Thanks Go Fast Racer!

BOAT ANCHOR
01-25-2004, 09:44 AM
TOPGUN:
What you are looking for is a Cement Core Bit with braised attached carbide cutting segments (no diamond particles, they just clog up and don't cut), as many segments as possible that will fit around the particular diameter you want to use (typically 9 - 10 segments). I custom ordered one a month ago from B&A Manufacturing Company in Riviera Beach Fl. phone # (800) 327-8611 and worked with one of their engineers named Bill Peterson. He's a great guy to work with. He built me a 1 1/2 dia.x 14 inch long, 10 segmented Plate Cutter (a core bit designed to cut through cement with steel rebar in it) with a custom threaded (3/4 x 10 female thread) attaching end so that it will thread on to the prop shaft I am using as the mandrel. He also sharpened the segments to a profile designed to cut fiberglass. If and when the core bit gets dull it can be shipped back to the factory for re sharpening or segment removal and replacement. All this and shipped to my shop for around $200.00. The first boat I cut a prop shaft hole in had a 7 deg. strut, and the core bit worked beautifully on that shallow of a prop shaft angle. I did have to break off a portion of the core and go back in and finish the bore due to the 14 inch usable length wasn't quite long enough to get through a 7deg. prop shaft hole without the core bottoming out against inside closed end of the core bit.From my experience above I would think the length you are after 5 - 8 inches long is much too short, better to go 12 - 16 inches long. Good Luck -------
Boat Anchor