PDA

View Full Version : Batteries

TopGun4608
01-26-2004, 02:46 PM
I have an 82 eliminator that I have completely restored and now I am finishing up the stereo system. My problem is that I only have room for one battery (which I have a blue top optima) and I have room for one more small size battery. I heard that odysee makes a good battery that has 680 CCA. Should I run a yellow top instead of the blue top for my stereo #1 and #2 do you think that 680CCA will be ok for my 350 small block(odysee)? I have 4 6.5" eclipse and 1 10" sub nothing crazy. How long should my yellow top optima last me playin my stereo with out startin my boat? ANY SUGJESTIONS

77charger
01-26-2004, 04:06 PM
If you only have room for one and want to run a stereo go with the optima or odysee(or the one with the highest amp hr rating)Yes 680 cranking amps will be fine for a small block.
I run a single sub 4 6x9s and a 600 watt amp can get about 45 min max turned up a bit but this is with just a sears die hard deep cycle grp 24.I am going to 6 vlts this year just for stereo but i have room for them and you need 2 to make 12 volts(13.5 if fully charged jeff:D )

Havasu Hangin'
01-26-2004, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by 77charger
...but i have room for them and you need 2 to make 12 volts(13.5 if fully charged jeff:D )
You'd better tell Trojan to update it's site (http://www.trojanbattery.com/GolfDC.asp?Product=51)...they seem to think thier batteries are only 6 volts fully charged.
Notice that I didn't have to tell Optima to update it's specs (http://www.optimabatteries.com/products/pdf/DthirtyfourM.pdf)...they say 13.2 volts full charged.

77charger
01-26-2004, 05:57 PM
Jeff i use the usa brand 6 volts stop by my house and i'll put the volt meter to my toybox:D :D to show you :eek: they will hit 13.9 then settle to 13.5. after a charge never drop below 12.5

h2oski2fast
01-28-2004, 12:32 PM
Stay with the same battery for both the starting and the reserve battery. Preferrably Oddysey. They have a much faster recharge rate and will still perform well as a reserve battery. The batteries need to be the same brand, size and type (ie. deep cycle or starting). This will help to keep the alternater charging correctly, do to charging rates of different types of batteries. Also, an Oddysey battery can be 0 cycled many more times than an Optima can. I used to used Optima batteries back in the day, but the quality of the battery was sacrificed when they were taken over by Interstate.