PDA

View Full Version : fuel tank senders

victorfb
01-26-2004, 06:18 PM
i just took out my saddle tanks (round style stainless) and noticed there were no senders for the fuel guage. next to the fills there are three other smaller fittings that are plugged, but im thinking those are way too small for a sending unit. can anyone tell me how thier tanks are wired and were the sending units go? pics would be even better.

Oldsquirt
01-26-2004, 06:28 PM
Victor, a lot of those round tanks never had provisions for sending units. Sounds like that is the case with yours. Short of welding an appropriate flange to the top of the tank, you're pretty much shit out of luck. I do know that a ski flag handle will give a pretty good reading.......:D

Danhercules
01-26-2004, 07:06 PM
Hey Vic,
wanna buy two tanks that are set up for a sending unit? LOL< One uses more gas. I just dont know where it goes!:confused: :confused:

Marlin455
01-27-2004, 09:20 AM
Hey DanHercules- If vic isn't interested in those tanks, I might be- I would need dimensions and maybe a few pics on them. thanks, Stan

victorfb
01-27-2004, 09:37 AM
thanks OLDSQUIRT thats basically what i figured. i will most likely weld the flange and install a sending unit. i really would like to have a guage. the way it was set up , both tanks fed at the same time. is this how most dual tanks are set up? it would be easy to have one feed at a time, but it seems that would throw the weight off as one empties. i figure if they both are feeding, i would only have to have one sending unit.

victorfb
01-27-2004, 11:22 AM
anyone know were i can get a sending unit? reasonably priced of course.:D

hack job
01-27-2004, 11:33 AM
rex sells them and so dose cp ;)

Danhercules
01-27-2004, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Marlin455
Hey DanHercules- If vic isn't interested in those tanks, I might be- I would need dimensions and maybe a few pics on them. thanks, Stan
I was messing with vic, he knows one of them leaks. I had it welded and its still leaking. I might be getting new ones. If so, still interested?

FryJet
01-27-2004, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by victorfb
anyone know were i can get a sending unit? reasonably priced of course.:D
Make sure you get one matched to whatever guage you have. The back of the guage should have the resistance (ohm) marked on it . They wont read right if the resistance isnt matched. Hope it helps.
F.J.

SoCal Power
01-28-2004, 08:45 AM
Hey Vic,
I think a flange is the way to go. But, just as an FYI, IMCO simply flattens an area on top of the tank (not sure how they do it) and fastens a sender there. They may flatten it before the ends go on so they can provide some internal support.
db

victorfb
01-28-2004, 11:41 AM
i havnt yet picked up a sending unit as im still deciding on the guages to use. but i will definatly make sure the ohm readings match. thanks for the tip. i will most likely weld on another perch for the sender. i dont like the idea of trying to flatten out a spot and distorting the tank.
dan, dont wait too long to fix or replace that tank. you definatly dont want to use that thing again. remember when your battery turned over and tried to blow you up last season? that was some crazy chit man. let me know if i can help ya.

stonehedge
01-29-2004, 10:13 AM
Please forgive me in advance for this next question....I have seen on some old boats and "old school sand rails" people who put two 90 degree fittings with a clear hose in between with a float ball in it. I know this is kinda "cheesy" and not very accurate. But is it legal? I thought it looked kinda nostalgic. But then there is always the flag.