PDA

View Full Version : Merc's new thumper...any info?

CMABadseed
01-26-2004, 08:44 PM
anyone have any idea what merc project x is yet....any facts or predictions?
i was just looking at their website and it looks like it pushes a couple of boats at a real good pace. hopefully this turns out to be the break in 4 stroke tech!

CMABadseed
01-28-2004, 12:50 PM
hmmmm not much interest i guess. have a look at www.mercurymarine.com
project x

Tom Brown
01-28-2004, 01:04 PM
I heard it was a Rotax driven jet pump.

CMABadseed
01-28-2004, 11:21 PM
rotax?? jet pump??
on the site it looks like pure bred outboard, down the prop. am i missing something?

Boatmaster
01-29-2004, 07:34 AM
I heard it was a super charged in-line six that was 100% Merc made in the USA. On a bad note I have heard many times from many merc reps that it has been scrapped, at least the hi-po model.

Boatjob26
01-29-2004, 11:37 AM
Lou from Lakeland Marine in Havasu has all the info about the new project. It's going to be a new 4-stroke ob, around 275hp stock. Seems like nothing big right? The kick is that it is going to come with an optional turbocharger! All under mercs warrranty, it's suppose to put out around 450hp. As for price, it's not going to be much over the price of a 300x. Can't wait to see it

mbrown2
01-29-2004, 11:48 AM
I speaking with Mercury Racing at the show, they said it would be a supercharged 4-stroke v-6, and it would be rated around 250 and making its debut in the next year.....No one seems to be talking much about Project X because it appears to be new from the ground up...mid-section new, casing new, etc....
Maybe the first version won't replace the 300x, but I hear that the torque from this combo 4stroke/supercharged really enhances the performance of the outboard and allows you to throw a bigger pitch prop.....
We will see..

Tom Brown
01-29-2004, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by CMABadseed
... am i missing something?
Very much so.
I think a key point that you may be missing is that I was making a smart-assed comment with no knowledge or idea of what the hell is going on. I cooked up the most ridiculous configuration I could think of and posted it as though I knew what was going on. You know... bullshit style. :D

Towndrunk
01-29-2004, 04:14 PM
I guess I'm going to need a 17X42 pitch cleaver.

CMABadseed
01-29-2004, 04:25 PM
i figured so Tom.....well at any rate i hope it turns out to be something great. says it'll be out at the miami show. maybe i'll talk to the merc guy this weekend up here in NORCAL.

Tom Brown
01-29-2004, 06:19 PM
Please keep us posted, Badseed.
Cool stuff. :cool:

Rexone
01-30-2004, 04:35 AM
Originally posted by Tom Brown
Very much so.
I think a key point that you may be missing is that I was making a smart-assed comment with no knowledge or idea of what the hell is going on. I cooked up the most ridiculous configuration I could think of and posted it as though I knew what was going on. You know... bullshit style. :D
I heard it's patterned after a 350 Chevy but aluminum, missing 2 cylinders turned on end with an 871 blower and dry sumped.

Tom Brown
01-30-2004, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by Rexone
... and dry sumped.
... and that's just the jet pump.

Powercat
02-04-2004, 01:30 PM
Project X

TOBTEK
02-04-2004, 03:31 PM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?postid=581559
VERY sleek looking! is there any info on weight yet?

CMABadseed
02-05-2004, 04:22 PM
i was up here at the norcal show last weekend and i talked with a women from mercury. she had NO clue, they didnt have anyone from mercury racing there. mostly small engines, nothing serious. so no news but i guess its comming out in miami this month. hopefully it will turn out to be a good deal.

572Daytona
02-09-2004, 08:58 AM
I think the latest issue of Lawn and Garden weekly had a feature article on it. With the increased torque of the 4 stroke it should be just the thing for bush hogging ;)

Forkin' Crazy
02-11-2004, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by 572Daytona
I think the latest issue of Lawn and Garden weekly had a feature article on it. With the increased torque of the 4 stroke it should be just the thing for bush hogging ;)
LOL!!!!:)
I have yet to see a 4 stroke that is not too heavy. My thinking is Bombardier's E-TEC will kick all the 4 strokes asses with less emissions!!!:eek:
E-TEC (http://www.brp.com/en-CA/Innovation/Technology/Evinrude.E-TEC.htm)

CMABadseed
02-12-2004, 06:24 PM
www.mercurymarine.com
the verado
it looks pretty cool, its a 275 that weighs 675lbs!! i'm sure there will be some performance gains after a season or two. that damn thing is quiet too!

mbrown2
02-12-2004, 08:04 PM
Pretty nice....but 150lbs heavier than a 300x?

HavasuDreamin'
02-13-2004, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by mbrown2
Pretty nice....but 150lbs heavier than a 300x?
I am waiting for someone to tackle the weight issue. Until then, these things will only cater to the larger boats.
Anyone think an all aluminum four stroke is in the works? I would like to see it. Course, I probably don't want to see the price tag $$$$$$. :(

Forkin' Crazy
02-13-2004, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by HavasuDreamin'
I am waiting for someone to tackle the weight issue. Until then, these things will only cater to the larger boats.
Anyone think an all aluminum four stroke is in the works? I would like to see it. Course, I probably don't want to see the price tag $$$$$$. :(
I am almost positive that most of the components are aluminum.
It is the excess of rotating parts of a 4 stroke that causes the excess weight...that and most of the rotating parts are probably steel.
Just reading the infor off the Merc site and the throttle and shifter are "fly-by-wire"...... and the steering is electrically/hydrolicly assist....... the engine mounts automaticaly adjust to provide vibration free at lower speeds and stiffin for higher speeds............. Sounds pretty scarey to me!
My OMC it 24 years old and has no electical problems..... I wonder what the new Merc will be like....:rolleyes: