PDA

View Full Version : Carrera @ LA Boat Show?

STGP
01-28-2004, 10:46 AM
Was Carrera at the boat show? I didn't see them.

Mrs. Restless22
01-28-2004, 10:47 AM
I was wondering the same thing... I want to see there new party effect...:confused:

Mrs. Bordsmnj
01-28-2004, 10:53 AM
Nope, they weren't there. :(

mirvin
01-28-2004, 11:11 AM
Are you sure they weren't there? I saw a story on the morning news, at the boat show, talking about and showing the new 34' Party Deck boat thingy.
Mirvin;)
OOPS!! I just realized I was thinking about Advantage:rolleyes:

rivercrazy
01-28-2004, 11:12 AM
Since Aftershock bought out Carrera they don't attend the shows anymore.....:(

MagicMtnDan
01-28-2004, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by rivercrazy
Aftershock bought out Carrera
I didn't know that

STGP
01-28-2004, 11:37 AM
I didn't know that either. When did this buyout take place?

rivercrazy
01-28-2004, 11:38 AM
Its been a little while. I think sometime last year if I remember right

hack job
01-28-2004, 11:46 AM
yeah about this time last year:(

LASERRAY
01-28-2004, 08:13 PM
Since Aftershock bought out Carrera :( I guess they wanted to compare fades.:D :D :D

Kilrtoy
01-28-2004, 08:26 PM
Was Aftershock at the boat show

***boatfuture
01-28-2004, 08:52 PM
No neither of them were at the show..Carrera was on the list of the attending exibitors, but they werent there, I was surprised they were supposed to have a couple new models i heard they have a new 29' and a 32' cats.
It was kind of disappointing as a Carrera owner to not see them there especaially when you are in the market to buy a new toy for this summer.
But I will have to say I went down to their new showroom just down the street from their old place about 2 to 3 months ago, and the products that they had in the showroom were not showroom material to say the least. The gel work was horrible the pint strips looked like a 2 year old did them...I asked the new sales guy about the gelcoater and he said that they have a new one the old one went to work for another well known manufacturer... And Denis the old President is now a salesperson...interesting

LASERRAY
01-28-2004, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by ***boatfuture
No neither of them were at the show..Carrera was on the list of the attending exibitors, but they werent there, I was surprised they were supposed to have a couple new models i heard they have a new 29' and a 32' cats.
It was kind of disappointing as a Carrera owner to not see them there especaially when you are in the market to buy a new toy for this summer.
But I will have to say I went down to their new showroom just down the street from their old place about 2 to 3 months ago, and the products that they had in the showroom were not showroom material to say the least. The gel work was horrible the pint strips looked like a 2 year old did them...I asked the new sales guy about the gelcoater and he said that they have a new one the old one went to work for another well known manufacturer... And Denis the old President is now a salesperson...interesting I would'nt even consider Carrera anymore. It's not the same product as it was 15 years ago. A good rule of thumb is, If they weren't at the L.A. Boatshow, or you don't see them advertised in ***boat, then they don't compare to most of the quality west coast builders with the exception of some of the East coast builders that we aren't exposed to much. Cig, Fountain, etc.:cool: Just my .02. Don't freak.

Dr. Eagle
01-28-2004, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by LASERRAY
I would'nt even consider Carrera anymore. It's not the same product as it was 15 years ago. A good rule of thumb is, If they weren't at the L.A. Boatshow, or you don't see them advertised in ***boat, then they don't compare to most of the quality west coast builders with the exception of some of the East coast builders that we aren't exposed to much. Cig, Fountain, etc.:cool: Just my .02. Don't freak.
So you would say they are sort of FADING from the hot boat market???

LASERRAY
01-28-2004, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
So you would say they are sort of FADING from the hot boat market??? He He He!:D Yes! But what do I know?;)

***boatfuture
01-28-2004, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by LASERRAY
I would'nt even consider Carrera anymore. It's not the same product as it was 15 years ago. A good rule of thumb is, If they weren't at the L.A. Boatshow, or you don't see them advertised in ***boat, then they don't compare to most of the quality west coast builders with the exception of some of the East coast builders that we aren't exposed to much. Cig, Fountain, etc.:cool: Just my .02. Don't freak.
definatly have to agree with you, we purchased our boat back in 2000 and it was a great boat for us as a starter,...last year at sandbar we were talking to a guy that purchased the same boat in march 2003, when we saw it all the holes from hardware were spinder webing ans the gel was sloppy...and I was thinking to myself wow I cant believe that this guy is happy with this product. I had nothing but an awesome experince when I purchased it...Rick and Joss down there were awesome... Had one minor problem with a gauge so I drove it down there to get it fixed (2 hour drive) and when I picked it up Rick told me that he sent it to Proboat to have an oil change and service done on it ( on Carrera's tab) Just my experience with them....
But I will admit I will not be buying a Carrera again...

LASERRAY
01-28-2004, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by ***boatfuture
definatly have to agree with you, we purchased our boat back in 2000 and it was a great boat for us as a starter,...last year at sandbar we were talking to a guy that purchased the same boat in march 2003, when we saw it all the holes from hardware were spinder webing ans the gel was sloppy...and I was thinking to myself wow I cant believe that this guy is happy with this product. I had nothing but an awesome experince when I purchased it...Rick and Joss down there were awesome... Had one minor problem with a gauge so I drove it down there to get it fixed (2 hour drive) and when I picked it up Rick told me that he sent it to Proboat to have an oil change and service done on it ( on Carrera's tab) Just my experience with them....
But I will admit I will not be buying a Carrera again... Judgeing from some of the posts here in the last couple of weeks, Aftershock/Carrera needs to pursue personal that know how to do gelwork. I can't believe what makes it through inspection overthere. It Looks like hack to me. Do it right or don't do it at all.:yuk:

***boatfuture
01-28-2004, 10:46 PM
Ya Im with you LASERRAY

framer1
01-29-2004, 05:35 AM
I bought my carrera new and it was a good experience. I would not buy now. Not the same company. Oh well, lots of good boats out there.

HavasuDreamin'
01-29-2004, 06:02 AM
Who is running Carrera now? Is it the Aftershock guys or are the Carrera guys still in the loop so to speak.............running it under Aftershock's roof?

***boatfuture
01-29-2004, 07:06 AM
Its the new Aftershock guy running it i think...that is what Rick told me. I guess Denis the old president kinda drove the company into the ground...now he is a salesperson for them.
Also Rick said it was "something arather" tooling company that owns the both of them.

Kahuna
01-29-2004, 07:41 AM
West Coast Tooling is the parent company. The owner of West Coast Tooling also started Shockwave with the current owner of Shockwave, but then had a falling out when the current owner of Shockwave took the molds in the middle of the night. Carrera and Aftershock are made under the same roof. They told me that they did not go to the boat show because they are busy enough.

BADBLOWN572
01-29-2004, 08:53 AM
It is funny how many people don't have a clue of what is actually going on. The rumor mill is going full steam right now! Yes Aftershock bought Carrera. No Dennis didn't run it into the ground. The company was doing just fine. Right now they are in a transition of painters which unfortunately it results in the gelcoat leaving something to be desired, but overall the quality of the boat is well above par. People assume that cheaper prices mean cheaper materials and a defective product. Not the case! They are very strict on their costs and monitor the quality of the product extensively. Since everything (but trailer) is done in house, they can keep the costs down without sacrificing quality.
I am going to be building their new 32' cat when it is finished being tooled in approximately June. The boat will run over 130mph (based of of other 32' cats with same approx h.p.). I am also considering a pair of 1200h.p. quad rotor motors and a pair of #6's. If I was even slightly concerned about the quality of the boat, I would not build it. You don't need the boat to come apart at over 130. The Carrera cats are one of the best riding cats on the market. They run hard, one right now is running 144 with a single engine, and handle rough water better than any cat that I have ever been in. I have walked away from other manufacturers boats in rough water. Try taking a 25' cat out on Mojave on a 2 flag day and running 80mph+ That impressive!
As for Carrera/Aftershock not being at the boat show, I have seen their backlog and right now they are extremely busy. They have enough boats right now to easily carry them into the beginning of boating season. There is no reason to head to the boat show and spend the money when you are doing fine with what you have. They have a sweet showroom right off of the freeway that attracts plenty of attention and with the amount of orders they have, who cares if you miss a couple by not attending.
People will talk and rumors will spread, but I will put the Carrera boats (especially cats) up against any other cat on the market. Some might be faster, but overall, in my opinion, they are top of the line. All that matters is that the customer is happy and if you talk to 95% of the Carrera/Aftershock customers, they are happy. Yes mistakes happen. They do with ever manufacturer, but as long as they stand behind them, what more can you ask?

rivercrazy
01-29-2004, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Kahuna
West Coast Tooling is the parent company. The owner of West Coast Tooling also started Shockwave with the current owner of Shockwave, but then had a falling out when the current owner of Shockwave took the molds in the middle of the night. Carrera and Aftershock are made under the same roof. They told me that they did not go to the boat show because they are busy enough.
This couldn't be farther from the truth. Shockwave never took a mold from Aftershock. Aftershock never even existed until quite sometime after Alex left. Aftershock has a few similar molds (like the 21 open bows but the rest of their model line up are totally different than Shockwave.

Three Days Only
01-29-2004, 09:15 AM
How cares, If you like the product buy it, if you dont, dont!!!
Its that simple. You guys are killing me. Im surprised BoatFloating has not found this thread. The manufactures of my boat does not attend shows, either does Skater. They do well!!! Maybe the smart companies dont waste their time, on a bunch of critcal lookie lous.

hboldno7
01-29-2004, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Three Days Only
Its that simple. You guys are killing me. Im surprised BoatFloating has not found this thread. The manufactures of my boat does not attend shows, either does Skater. They do well!!! Maybe the smart companies dont waste their time, on a bunch of critcal lookie lous.
My thoughts exactly, Who cares..

Kahuna
01-29-2004, 11:28 AM
This couldn't be farther from the truth. Shockwave never took a mold from Aftershock. Aftershock never even existed until quite sometime after Alex left. Aftershock has a few similar molds (like the 21 open bows but the rest of their model line up are totally different than Shockwave.
If you read my post it does not say anything about Aftershock taking mold from Shockwave. And yes Aftershock never existed before Shockwave, hence the name AfterSHOCK for after Shockwave. The owner of Shockwave had the molds for the Shockwave boat and came to Alex for some help to get Shockwave started. But this could all be wrong I was not there.

BoatFloating
01-29-2004, 11:34 AM
Oh ya here comes the drama.
I try to limit my flames to a minium but here come the the torch!
Let me start by saying everyone is a critic and evryone of you being critics out there have boats I can bag on. So lets start!
Shockwave = Worked for Caliber had a falling out and I hear nasty and was a ass. Started working with West Coast Tooling making boats didn't even tool there own hull's and then had a falling out with Alex at West Coast Tooling and left and went on his own not the other way around. The new Cat they have equals Splash at least Carrera tool their own hull's and doesn't splash and I'll put a Carrera cat up against that cat anytime. Trust me Shockwave as some Mickey Mouse operations going on down there also.
Laser = You got to be kidding me right? I'll put a new or old Carrera up against them or Essex any day of the week. Why does Essex need to make Laser's? Because they can make them cheaper and sell them cheaper pure and simple. Just because you couldn't afford a top of the line custom boat stop bagging. How many different boats does Laser have 2 or 3, please! I'm still waiting for one of them to pass me in rough water.
As far Dennis running the company in the ground, please. He has been in the business longer than Laser and Shockwave combined. the boating business sucks and you can ask any MFG out there. Name one that hasn't had money problems. I'll name a few for you closed minded people. Warlock, Ultra, DCB, Commander, Dana and many more come and go like Virage. You have people that splash and boom they have a boat company and people like Carrera suffer because they spend a ton of money tooling their own hulls not splashing or make a cheap boat and call it another name ala Laser and Lighting. Dennis sold because he had enough of the bullshit but he stayed on as General manager not just a salesperson. Maybe you should get your facts straight before you start talking out you ass.
As far as advertising in Hot Boat, I don't see Skater in there so I guess they make shit boats right. But just to answer your question on the Hot Boat advertising maybe you should learn how to read. Check the cover of Nov/Dec 2003 on the cover maybe you missed it. maybe you should read the test in Oct 2003 on the 290 Effect is that not advertising?????
As far as the fading issue, Kahuna was taking care of and should of been told that fadin those 2 colors is hard if not impossible to make look good. The Carrera you saw is how the customer wanted it blue faded into yellow, you can't make that look good but that's what he wanted and 2 years later he has 2nd thoughts if it looks good. Give me a break, there are ton of gel jobs that make me want to puke but it's that customer design and colors. Truly how many Carrera's have you seen out there since the merge and your judging on what. It's called growing pains in a new line. I'm going to be buying my 4th Carrera and that should tell you something and again I'll put it up against any boat out there any day.
So stop the shit talking because you really are uninformed and your making yourself look bad. Of coarse that's my opinion
:D

mbrown2
01-29-2004, 11:42 AM
BF, tell me how you really feel:D ...good response

Ducatista
01-29-2004, 11:48 AM
Now children pay attention...thats how you flame! I glad to hear that Carrera is still an awsome Mfg, I have always loved their product.:cool:

Havasu_Dreamin
01-29-2004, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by BoatFloating
Laser = You got to be kidding me right? I'll put a new or old Carrera up against them or Essex any day of the week. Why does Essex does need to make Laser's? Because they can make them cheaper and sell them cheaper pure and simple. Just because you couldn't afford a top of the line custom boat stop bagging. How many different boats does Laser have 2 or 3, please! I'm still waiting for one of them to past me in rough water.
Are you trying to say that you think Essex is not a top of the line builder?
Essex started the Laser line to make a boat with the same materials, just not as many standard features, not as much glass either, and sell it for less as an entry level boat. The Laser is an entry level boat, the Essex is not.

rivercrazy
01-29-2004, 11:52 AM
Oh ya here comes the drama.
Shockwave = Worked for Caliber had a falling out and I hear nasty and was a ass. Started working with West Coast Tooling making boats didn't even tool there own hull's and then had a falling out with Alex at West Coast Tooling and left and went on his own not the other way around. The new Cat they have equals Splash at least Carrera tool their own hull's and doesn't splash and I'll put a Carrera cat up against that cat anytime. Trust me Shockwave as some Mickey Mouse operations going on down there also.
This is what I understand:
Westcoast was employed to build hulls for other manufacturers (like Eliminator, Cole, Caliber One, and some others). The problem with Caliber is they couldn't pay Westcoast back on work that was done. As a result, they acquired a few molds as compensation for the outstanding bill (and one of the guys from Shockwave essentially design the 25 for Caliber). They were not selling boats under the Westcoast name. They were hired by some of the industries best to build hulls for them. There was nothing to splash.
And the molds acquired from Caliber were changed to the point of not being anywhere near what they got from Caliber. The bottom of the 25 was a 21 degree V. Then Shockwave made it a 24 degree step bottom and changed and improved the deck. The skier evolved into the another one of their own designs known as the step skier (with a 21 degree step bottom and different deck). Acquiring a mold through essentially a sale versus splashing is an entirely different thing. And the fact that their boats changed in every way including the bottom and decks make their hulls their own for sure. And their 29 and 34 bottoms were created and designed by them.
As for Shockwave being mickey mouse. That is just a BS statement you made out of hot air. Anyone that has worked with them, watched them build new hull models, and watched how they manufacture boats, and bought boats from them know otherwise. Your WAY off base here bub.... They are great people with integrity, work ethic, and strive to provide better and more consistent service than most of the competition.
Your trying to deface and bad mouth Shockwave on a basis that is WAY out of line....
Anyone that has followed the boating message boards for the last few years knows that is a very rare occasion that anyone has ever had a bad experience with Shockwave in any way. In fact, you will find universally outstanding comments about them. That means something. Especially here on the ***boat Drama Board! :D
I would also like to make something clear. I have nothing against Boatfloating. I hope my post are not taken personally by him or anyone else. I said what I thought I needed to say. I hope this doesn't inflate any further beyond this. Lets all go out and have a beer. First round on me!:D

mbrown2
01-29-2004, 11:54 AM
"It's 5 o'clock somewhere"...
Someone get me a beer

Three Days Only
01-29-2004, 12:48 PM
Its that simple.
I said it once and I will say it again BUB......
Thank god theres more then one boat manufacture!!!!

Kahuna
01-29-2004, 01:16 PM
Let me go on the record.
Denis: It was a pleasure buying a boat from him, he has been in the boat buisness almost as long as I have been alive. He started Carrera from scatch and built it into a company that makes great boats.
Aftershock/Carrera: The have been great handling any problems that I have had. I will look at them again if and when I move up to a bigger boat.
Shockwave: I will also look at them if and when I move up to a bigger boat. They put out some nice boats.
***boat Forums: I love the stories it is better that actually doing work and it keeps me entertained
But I could be totally wrong so don't quote me. :D

BoatFloating
01-29-2004, 04:10 PM
Anyone that has followed the boating message boards for the last few years knows that is a very rare occasion that anyone has ever had a bad experience with Shockwave in any way. In fact, you will find universally outstanding comments about them. That means something. Especially here on the ***boat Drama Board! Your trying to deface and bad mouth Shockwave on a basis that is WAY out of line....
And what is being done to Carrera and Aftershock on these boards is creative selling techniques. Ever chance someone gets they throw a pot shot at them and it's funny but it's not from any owners of either one of those lines. This thread started about a guy asking if Carrera is at the boat show, that was it and it starts with pot shots. So I figured I'd just return the favor and now maybe people will see that their comments piss people off especially owners of either a Carrera or Aftershock. because what's being said is "WAY out line" and they don't have the facts.
They were hired by some of the industries best to build hulls for them. There was nothing to splash.
So West Coast Tooling who laided up the boats you mentioned like Cole and Caliber went to shit after Barry left?
Acquiring a mold through essentially a sale versus splashing is an entirely different thing.
Some people called it theft at Caliber.
And their 29 and 34 bottoms were created and designed by them.
So 2 out what 8 models were built from the ground up and Carrera has 13 all built from the ground up and tested. So who has spent more time and money tooling and not splashing. A splash no matter if you change the bottom hull rise and put your own designed deck on it is still a splash.
The Mickey Mouse comment came from a Ex-employee at Shockwave and he's been in the business for 20 years.
I'll say it one more time, I have no problem with Shockwave I like some of their boats and there are some Aftershock and Carrera boats I don't care for the looks but to say they aren't built good or have problems like all the builders do is bullshit so don't throw stones because every Mfg has had issues.
rivercrazy, I have no problems with you and I respect you stick up for the something you know and believe in, that's what I'm doing.
RiverDave
The greatest sentance I've ever read on the boards.. LOL
You are so easy to amuse!!!!! You must have a 100 best lines you ever read on this board, get off the fence.
Are you trying to say that you think Essex is not a top of the line builder?
It got lumped in there by mistake. I do think Essex is one of the top or the line builders. I was making a statement on Laser. I have some there models I like and some I really don't care for 1 being the 29' Alandra (sp?).

rivercrazy
01-29-2004, 04:21 PM
Its all good Boatfloating. I also added a paragraph to my response post similar to yours. Lets go have a beer. First round on me! (But I never did say anything negative about Aftershock in this thread).
As for the splashing thing that is something Shockwave has not done. If you acquire a boat from someone else through a business transaction that is not a splash. To me splashing is when you take someones elses finished boat and tool a mold around it. Splashing versus a purchase are two entirely different things.
I would expand on the Caliber topic but I don't believe its appropriate. Somethings are best left alone...
As for the Mickey Mouse comment. That is just sour grapes IMHO.
I really don't have anything left to say on the topic and plan to leave it behind.

MagicMtnDan
01-29-2004, 04:31 PM
have some there models I like and some I really don't care for 1 being the 29' Alandra (sp?).
Add the Tempest to that short list

BoatFloating
01-29-2004, 04:41 PM
Its all good Boatfloating. I also added a paragraph to my response post similar to yours. Lets go have a beer. First round on me! (But I never did say anything negative about Aftershock in this thread).
As for the splashing thing that is something Shockwave has not done. If you acquire a boat from someone else through a business transaction that is not a splash. To me splashing is when you take someones elses finished boat and tool a mold around it. Splashing versus a purchase are two entirely different things.
I would expand on the Caliber topic but I don't believe its appropriate. Somethings are best left alone...
As for the Mickey Mouse comment. That is just sour grapes IMHO.
I really don't have anything left to say on the topic and plan to leave it behind.
I agree with you you wern't the comment maker and my first post. Your comments on different posts I read always seem to be factual and good info to the people asking. You just got thrown into this mix and your right it's time to move on. I'm just hoping the peanut gallery can just answer a question and stop the stone throwing. I agree about air laundry we could be here all day and everyone has some. So first round on me at the Turtle this Spring and we can BS about the BS boat business.

rivercrazy
01-29-2004, 04:47 PM
Cool:D

Mrs. Bordsmnj
01-29-2004, 04:48 PM
Just thought I would chime in since we own an Aftershock! :D
Hey RC, can I join in on that beer drinking? We are proof Aftershock and Shockwave owner's can be friends! :p
BoatFloating, do I know you and just not know your screen name??
Just messin with ya guys. These Aftershock vs/ Shockwave threads seem to be more abundant lately. :sleeping:

rivercrazy
01-29-2004, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Mrs. Bordsmnj
Hey RC, can I join in on that beer drinking? We are proof Aftershock and Shockwave owner's can be friends! :p
: [/B]
Damn strait! It don't matter what kind of boat you have. Lets all just have a good time and party!:D

BoatFloating
01-29-2004, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Mrs. Bordsmnj
Just thought I would chime in since we own an Aftershock! :D
BoatFloating, do I know you and just not know your screen name??
Just messin with ya guys. These Aftershock vs/ Shockwave threads seem to be more abundant lately. :sleeping:
Never had the pleasure of meeting you guys but I'm sure we will this year. It will be fun to do a little drinking instead of typing.

BoatFloating
01-29-2004, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by RiverDave
Ok...
With the exception of their 21' V-Bottoms which are the same hulls that 1/2 the mfg's in the boating industry are making. Aftershock Sux.. :D further more, I'd be willing to wager dollars to donuts that Carrera's quality has gone down as a direct result of their new found relationship with them.
Although I will say that I'd like to know more about their 21 Tornado.. The bottom kinda looks like an old Spectra bottom. (More of a bull nose to it which might be indicative or a performance bottom?)
RD <---- off the fence now. :D ..
When I said get off the fence I meant about the one liners you like the best. But you had to go and stir the pot again as thing were calming down in here.
I would agree at first the quality of the Carrera line did go down in the first couple months that is to be expected with a new line up. It's like taking a Ford over to Chevy and put on their line and say build it. It's been a year know and they have built alot of Carrera's now. They wern't used to lay up on Carrera's molds they didn't have interior templates for any models all Carrera's interior was either done by Designer of Straton. I think now that they do the interior in house it's a plus. I was never wild about Designer work the quality of Aftershock interior is good and they French stich alot of things. So alot of things needed to be learned. I for one I'm glad I wasn't the guinena pig because I wouldn't have bought one. But things have changed now and I'm very happy with the work they are doing especially on the 290 Effect and that's my next purchase. I would even go as far to say that Carrera has helped raise the level of the Aftershock line. The last couple 29' thev've built are awesome, like the one on the cover of Hot Boat.
I little info on the Tornado, I'd lean towards the Tahiti :wink:

CARRERA
01-29-2004, 06:48 PM
Well I think it has all been said. Therefore, I feel that I can only echo the words of others. All the people at Carrera are great. I have been into boating for over twenty years and this is my second boat.
Carrera has been a good quality boat and hopefuly it will continue. I mean what can one say about a boat that one has not had any problems with and the one that I did have was well taken care of.
So let all move on to better days, and if you see me anytime on the water give me a shout so that I can offer you a cold one.

CARRERA
01-30-2004, 09:31 PM
I take it that everone is cool with this now....