PDA

View Full Version : Access Technologies speakers?

Craig
01-28-2004, 02:03 PM
Anyone use these? I want to put 4 in my boat. Not a big fancy system, hell you can't hear the thing running anyway with that blower shreiking :D
I was going to get a cd player and two MAS-6120Ti's and two MAS-5202Ti's.
Any thoughts and how about where to get some good prices?
Craig

ROZ
01-28-2004, 03:06 PM
If you want "marine" speakers, get these:
http://www.tweeter.com/graphics/product_images/p937838dt.jpg
or
http://www.tweeter.com/graphics/product_images/p877784dt.jpg
or
http://www.infinitysystems.com/caraudio/images/productimages/smallimage/kappa62m.jpg
and call it a day....

STV_Keith
01-28-2004, 07:09 PM
Hey Roz, ever heard of Resonant Engineering? What do you think of their subs? :D

ROZ
01-28-2004, 07:56 PM
You're only interested because they have a model called the XXX :D
Only know what I've read... Never seem one or heard one in person...

ROZ
01-28-2004, 11:12 PM
RE home test and review thread (http://forum.sounddomain.com/forum/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=11&t=051914#000007)

Craig
01-29-2004, 08:15 AM
OK Roz, the round ones will do for the rear seat base, but I need to "box speakers" to mount kind of under the deck. No real good place to mount the front ones any way else. Suggestions? What's a good CD unit? How about a place to buy this stuff?
Craig

STV_Keith
01-29-2004, 09:29 AM
Hehe, my roommate has 1 XXX 12" in his Supra...that thing is STUPID. The xmax is like 35mm ONE WAY.
I'm gonna put two of their RX series 12's in my Dodge. :)

ROZ
01-29-2004, 10:15 AM
Looks to be one of those subs that has some great reviews regarding SQ and SPL without the expense...

ROZ
01-29-2004, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Craig
OK Roz, the round ones will do for the rear seat base, but I need to "box speakers" to mount kind of under the deck. No real good place to mount the front ones any way else. Suggestions? What's a good CD unit? How about a place to buy this stuff?
Craig
What do you demand from your stereo? MP3? Satellite? CD Changer ability? Wired remotability? Does is have to be marine?
As far as mounting speakers... A god local audio installer can fab speaker "pods" to match your boa's interior, or you can go with an outdoor speaker like the one you've noted... The only thing I don't like about outdoor speakers is that bass reproduction at lower frequencies is usually not that great. Most will be 8 ohm as well.
Most products can be purchased from online stores, but I know someone who can hook you up if he happens to have product you like.. ;) I think he has stores in the Chandler, Snottsdale, and Glendale areas of your area.... ;)

Craig
01-29-2004, 10:52 AM
Speaker pods, hmmm, now that might work :) I'll have to pull the cover off this weekend and crawl in there. As for demands, I just want a single disc CD player, maybe some decent power, don't have an amp at this time. Doesn't have to be "marine". What stores does your friend have? I'm in Peoria, next to Glendale.
Craig

ROZ
01-29-2004, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Craig
Speaker pods, hmmm, now that might work :) I'll have to pull the cover off this weekend and crawl in there. As for demands, I just want a single disc CD player, maybe some decent power, don't have an amp at this time. Doesn't have to be "marine". What stores does your friend have? I'm in Peoria, next to Glendale.
Craig
Yup...Some type of pod will appear more custom than any outdoor type speaker:
http://speedoptions.com/features/specials/5/pic38.jpg
The company I work for owns Showcase Home Entertainment... :wink:

Craig
01-30-2004, 06:36 AM
Is there a rule of thumb on how much air space these pods need behind the speaker? I do have a bulkhead I could mount the speakers in, but the back would be open to the under deck area. Does this need an enclosure around the back and if so, again, how big?

ROZ
01-30-2004, 01:56 PM
No... Most speakers are designed infinite baffle. Meaning that there is no real defined amount of air space needed. Doors and trunks are not competely sealed and/or are quite large. On the flip side, making a pod or box too small can create heavily muffled midrange and not enough bottom end....
I've made several pods. Some I consulted the mfg to find out how little airspace I neede if I had to seal the pod. Others I didn't make too small and left room for ventillation... You kinda get an eye for it after a while....But that was looong ago..lol
There are some models that require a defined enclosure, right TOBTEK? :p :D
If your bulkhead is too far foward, you may not even want to put them there. If you feel the mounting location is far enough back as to not inhibit sound output, you should be fine mounting them there without an enclosure behind them... To gain a little more bottom end, a good pair of 6x9's might work well in this case... If you decide to do pods on your panels for 6.5" speakers, you can make pods that are tilted up and toward you a bit....

rivercrazy
01-30-2004, 02:06 PM
Roz always has the answers! :D
When I put my last system together I asked the Mfg of my speakers what the correct enclosure size would be for some 6.5 comps and 6X9's. They said 1/3rd of a cubic foot each. I was only able to accommodate 1 set of 6X9's due to the internal dimensions of my boats side panels. But I can definately hear the difference in this set. Tighter and lower bass response and a bit more volume. In a boat, there is practially unlimited air space behind speakers in a side panel. And the sound really travels behind the panel. As a result you get some volume loss and weird resonances in certain locations in the boat. If you can, build enclosures.

Craig
01-30-2004, 03:14 PM
Thanks again everyone. I'm going to really look at the bulkhead mount. The bulkhead isn't far back under the deck, it's right where your feet would be when sitting in the front seats. 6X9's would easily fit in there.