PDA

View Full Version : ski babies

AdrenelineOD
01-29-2004, 08:21 AM
I`m just wondering! When did your kids grab the rope? My daughter is an adreneline junky too. Shes 2 now I was thinking of starting her in july, running her on the beach insted of a boat. Shes my first child and this is my first boat so what do I know. I realy want your honest opinion or stories of trying this. Feel free to be an a22 I`m a bigger one. Chears!!!!!! :D :D :D

BADBLOWN572
01-29-2004, 08:27 AM
I was 3 when I started skiing. My dad used to pull me on the beach too. Skis tied together and handle tied to skis. When finally behind the boat, they held the handle in the boat so if I fell, they would let go and I wouldn't be dragged. I was on doubles at 3 and I started singling at 8. Been skiing ever since.

AdrenelineOD
01-29-2004, 08:35 AM
Thanks BN527. So my Idea is good. does anyone know of anyone that my have some skies that will fit a childs 7 or 8. Not that I have a problem buying new skies. I just don`t want to spend too much money on them if I need to get her new ones. Also I thought of sitting in the tube and hoding the rope so I can talk to her.:cool:

Ntwotrance
01-29-2004, 08:47 AM
Play it Again Sports has a good variety, but it's best to call to see if they have any in stock first...

68campbell
01-29-2004, 08:55 AM
Parker James Burnett, age 3
http://www.mckenzieskischool.com/ready2go.JPG
http://www.mckenzieskischool.com/best.JPG
The best junior skis are cut down adult skis with the tail squared off

AdrenelineOD
01-29-2004, 09:02 AM
I`d seen sets at the thrift store for $5.00 . I`ll do it. :D

PHX ATC
01-29-2004, 09:47 AM
AdrenalineOD you've got a PM.

AdrenelineOD
01-29-2004, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by PHX ATC
AdrenalineOD you've got a PM. Post mark? Pissed mom, Philipino mother?

PHX ATC
01-29-2004, 10:02 AM
Ha ha, you're killing me, Private Message.
Go up to your "user CP" button (top of the page, little purple box with yellow letters, about the middle) click it and ponder around until you find the message.
Phillipino mother, hilarious.:D

25Elmn8r
01-29-2004, 10:39 AM
My Daughter started when she was 5. She wasn't ready any earlier. We also wouldn't let her out there until she could swim competently without her life jacket. She is now 9 and I can't get her off the ski when we are out.
My son tried last year at 5 years old. But had a hard time. We bought a new trainer from Overtons for him to try out this year. We will se how it goes.

mirvin
01-29-2004, 10:42 AM
Yessireee!! Started water skiing around age 5 and started snow skiing shortly after. Thanks mom & dad;)
Mirvin:D

Scream
01-29-2004, 01:47 PM
had some friends join us a Powell one summer, rented great beginner skis for pennies from Sports Chalet. Every kid at the lake got up on them. Well worth the few duckets for the week.
They also sell almost all of thier yearly rental equipment after the season is over. FYI

clownpuncher
01-29-2004, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Scream
had some friends join us a Powell one summer, rented great beginner skis for pennies from Sports Chalet. Every kid at the lake got up on them. Well worth the few duckets for the week.
They also sell almost all of thier yearly rental equipment after the season is over. FYI
There's no Sport Chalet near me. What kind of skis were they? Where can I get em? I'm lookign to get my seven year old daughter started this year. I don't ski, but the wifey is pretty good.

25Elmn8r
01-29-2004, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by clownpuncher
There's no Sport Chalet near me. What kind of skis were they? Where can I get em? I'm lookign to get my seven year old daughter started this year. I don't ski, but the wifey is pretty good.
If you are looking to buy, check here (http://www.overtons.com)
This is what we bought for my son to get started on
http://www.overtons.com/graphics/products/medium/15175M.jpg

Up 4 River
01-29-2004, 03:01 PM
I started skking when I was 3 and singled at age 8 like Bad Blown. The best is to use the doubles like are shown in the picture above. The key is to be in the water with them so they can get their balance and have the driver pull out slowly. Good luck!:D

Ziggy
01-29-2004, 03:35 PM
My daughter first started kneeboarding and doesn't seem to be interested in the skis. She is attempting to get up on the wakeboard but a little stubborn about instructions at her age. Daaaaad, I know already.:rolleyes: :D Shes 10 now but started on the kneeboard around 6'ish.
Riding quads she started early--3

Sherpa
01-30-2004, 09:13 AM
learned on my moms ski (cutdown custom made racing single)
at age 5. had to wear tennis shoes because my feet were too
small to stay put in the ski binding......
got bored with the racing single at age 6, and dad bought some
cheapo plywood kids doubles.. used them till about 9, then went
to full size adult slalom ski.....
I've had all my girls on kneeboards now, they started at age 5.
we might try a kiddie-sized wakeboard next..
that "U" shaped kiddie ski is neat......
--Sherpa

Her454
01-30-2004, 10:24 AM
My dad started me at 6 (and I still have the ski's & the Maja he got me when I was 14) and my daughter started on the kneeboard at 1 w/her dad and 2 by herself. Started skiing at 13, couldnt get her off the kneeboard to try it but now she loves it. Wakeboarding at 16...thanks to Hardcore Ski and his better half, she learned on her birthday! :D

U-Haul
01-30-2004, 01:20 PM
I learned when I was 3 1/2 in a no wake zone. I was so small and light that they just held me on top of the water and the boat left and I was up. That is how it all started 25 years ago.

Sleek-Jet
01-30-2004, 02:49 PM
Jeez, I feel like I got a late start now. :D
Learned to ski when I was 9 (doubles), deep starting slalom by the next summer. Lived to ski ever since.
The younger you learn, the easier it is when you get older. :D

mirvin
01-30-2004, 03:00 PM
We need to have us a ***boat ski tournement!!!
Mirvin;)

Scream
01-30-2004, 03:02 PM
The skis were "beginner" type skis, made expressly for kids, I'd say 7 to 12. Most of the kids fell into this age category and popped up right away with little coaching from us adults.
the were super fat with really wide rounded tips. I can't remember what brand they were, but O'Brien seems to come to mind...
I love Sports Chalet, I work near one and live near another...
Too convenient

AdrenelineOD
01-30-2004, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by mirvin
We need to have us a ***boat ski tournement!!!
Mirvin;) I`m in:D :D :D :D :D :D

Mohavekid
01-30-2004, 05:55 PM
I learned to snow ski at 3, water ski at 5, kneeboard at 8, a friend of my parents had a prototype Hydroslide with a buckle belt system instead of velcro (it was scary because the belt never let go and you ended up upside down with that damn board still strapped to your legs) learned to wakeboard at 35.
My 3 kids all learned to ski at about age 5, they've all exceeded my wakeboard skills. :mad:

AdrenelineOD
01-30-2004, 06:36 PM
I`m starting wake bording because empty pools hurt now :(