PDA

View Full Version : jet boat extras

AdrenelineOD
01-29-2004, 10:37 AM
I`m new so be sure to confuse me ok. I have a 427 BBC in a 19ft Bahner. it`s not a rod just a skiboat. In your oppinion should I be running a thermostat kit, water control valve (bandrelog), rev limmitor, and Marvel mystery oil (for gas and valves)? It would be nice to here everyone oppinion. Or hell stories from lack of these items

flattie
01-29-2004, 10:51 AM
Welcome to the boating world! Atl least you have a good sence of humor! It should keep you sane

AdrenelineOD
01-29-2004, 12:10 PM
you shouldn`t have put that picture of me as your avitar. I thought that was private

JetBoatRich
01-29-2004, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by flattie
Welcome to the boating world! Atl least you have a good sence of humor! It should keep you sane
That is the truth, after a couple motors and other issues, etc.
It is all fun

Taylorman
01-29-2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by AdrenelineOD
thermostat kit
Optional, helps keep water at a constant temp. You can use a ball valve to get temp up if its to low. Most people don't run thermostats.
water control valve (bandrelog)
Again, optional. It works better than the t valve but is $250. Im rigging up my own system that works like the banderlog valve with parts from Grainger.
rev limmitor
This is a must. You can use an MSD 6AL box that has a built in rev limiter. It costs about $200 and would benefit you much more than a banderlog valve. It your pump comes out of the water, your motor will spin up in rpms and could cause lots of engine damage. I say this is a must.
Marvel mystery oil
I run Marvel in my gas. Its good stuff. Lubricates your fuel pump also. It also acts like Sta-build to keep gas from varnishing.
Good luck. Hope this helps.
Kevin[B]

AdrenelineOD
01-29-2004, 02:04 PM
Thanks Taylorman! Ill be buying my revlimiter befor I do anything. now the new msd ignition makes my tac go crazy. I`m know Im really not idoling at 6000. adaptors??

King Kuracz
01-29-2004, 02:30 PM
You didn't say, but if you don't have headers you have no need for a Banderlog valve.
Agree with the limiter 100%. Hurt the motor and you'll have no need for any of the other stuff.
As for getting the temp up, I would go with a gate or globe valve instead of a ball valve. More precise control, and less chance of having a problem because someone accidently bumped the handle. It takes a concious effort to change the setting on gate/globe valve.

AdrenelineOD
01-29-2004, 02:33 PM
Bassett over tra....

Taylorman
01-29-2004, 02:37 PM
Whats a globe valve?:confused:

AdrenelineOD
01-29-2004, 02:41 PM
are u schoolin me?

cheech
01-29-2004, 07:18 PM
make sure you hook the tach to the msd box not your coil?

King Kuracz
01-29-2004, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Taylorman
Whats a globe valve?:confused:
GLOBE VALVE: A valve equipped with an orifice and a stem attached to a plug and matching circular seat. Shut-off is obtained by direct contact of the plug and the seat. Body of valve is normally spherical (hence "globe").
GATE VALVE: A full opening and closing valve depending upon deformation of mating surfaces for control. This type of shut off valve offers very little resistance to flow when open compared to popular globe valves. The piping friction resistance is on the order of 10% of globe valve values.
http://www.mcnallyinstitute.com/CDweb/g-html/g-images/g005.01.gifhttp://www.mcnallyinstitute.com/CDweb/g-html/g-images/g005.02.gif
The globe valve has a higher resistance to flow, but should still provide adequate flow in a jet application. The advantage in a jet application is that it has a rubber (or equiv.) seal and is less likely to be affected by sand than the gate valves metal on metal sealing disc. If sand is not a concern, the gate valve offers a more accurate fine adjustment.

Heatseeker
01-29-2004, 07:52 PM
Cheech, if your headers are wet, the Banderlog valve is a nice addition. As you know, it positively turns the water on and off at a specified rpm.
A Bassett supplied t-valve is supposed to do the same thing, but doesn't always. One piece of crap in it and you've got water pumping into your headers at idle. In situations like that, it's possible for the water to get into your cylinders. That can be the end of your motor.
You can rig a system up from parts as described above, but the Banderlog valve is a nice compact package, easily mounted anywhere. I bought one last year. It was money well spent.
And don't put all your trust into a rev limiter. A loaded engine will have monentum. If you unload your pump at WOT, the engine can spin right past the rev limiter. A rev limiter is helpful but always choose your full throttle water carefully.

cheech
01-29-2004, 07:59 PM
sorry john i just made the tach reference question

cheech
01-29-2004, 08:04 PM
even if your motor spins past the set rpm (msd are 800 rpms off 7000 is around 6200) it will not be firing the cyl.so the free spinning should not be for long.

AdrenelineOD
01-29-2004, 08:16 PM
I`m not made of too much money(Banderlog) so what parts for the water system. I mean, How the flip ya tell a water valve were the RPM`s are??
:confused:

Heatseeker
01-29-2004, 08:39 PM
...I mean, How the flip ya tell a water valve were the RPM`s are??
:confused:
You have to buy a MSD rpm switch. It connects to your tach lead. It will send a signal out at a selected(using rpm chips) rpm. You connect that to an electric solenoid valve. You can put a system together for about $100, but you'll have to mount two more components on your boat.
Either way you go, it's cheap insurance against hydraulicing an engine.

Heatseeker
01-29-2004, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by cheech
even if your motor spins past the set rpm (msd are 800 rpms off 7000 is around 6200) it will not be firing the cyl.so the free spinning should not be for long.
You hope!!!

460rogers
01-29-2004, 09:10 PM
free spinning should not be for long
depends on hangtime

screamdreambrad
01-29-2004, 11:18 PM
I`m new so be sure to confuse me ok. I have a 427 BBC in a 19ft Bahner. it`s not a rod just a skiboat. In your oppinion should I be running a thermostat kit, water control valve (bandrelog), rev limmitor, and Marvel mystery oil (for gas and valves)? It would be nice to here everyone oppinion. Or hell stories from lack of these items i would definately use a thermostat, rex marine has one that works perfectly! 160 all the time, just a couple minutes after ya start it. it bypasses til it warms up. can't beat it. 6al or better would be my choice. marvel oil if you are running an electric pump, if not i don't see the need. but it couldn't hurt. brad