PDA

View Full Version : Project Progress.....Finally

SoCal Power
01-29-2004, 03:42 PM
Hey Jetheads,
Promised I'd post some progress pics on the 19 CP I'm rigging for guy out of Aha Quin. Here is the latest.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1417Hyd_Jet_Steering-med.jpg
Building a recessed transom plate next, then on to the engine mounts.
Will be running a blown 500+ci BBC with a jet-a-away.
db

Bense468
01-29-2004, 03:47 PM
How did that hydraulic steering work out for ya?

flat broke
01-29-2004, 04:12 PM
Slick use of the bimbas for the hydraulic steering. Looks like you tee the bottoms of each unit to the top of the opposite unit for a push/pull config. What are you using for helm control and pump? I'd be interested in something like that for next winter if it works out well for your guy this summer.
Chris

SoCal Power
01-29-2004, 04:40 PM
I'm using aurora cylinders, 3/4" x 3" with a teleflex 2.4ci/rev helm. 3/8" nylon tubing from helm to bulkheads and s.s. -4 lines external. Lock to lock is about 1 1/4 turns. No pump. It works great on the bench. Will post results after water test sometime in the spring.

HBjet
01-29-2004, 04:50 PM
Looks good SoCal.... When do you expect to have everything finished?
Also, why would someone want hydrolic steering on a get?
HBjet

flat broke
01-29-2004, 04:57 PM
Thats cool! How flexible is the nylon tubing? Are you just using compression fittings or are you having ends crimped on? Sorry for pickin your brain like this, but its a slick idea.
Here's my contribution for your project: Hydraulic gate control as well. Connect a cylinder the size of what Place and Agressor use on their hydraulic diverters on the gate control at the pump nozzle as well as connected to your gate handle, criss cross the plubming and run a light weight oil through some -4 braided $$ :)$$. The only problem would be bleeding the system, but that just takes a little more thought.
The main reason I'm so interested in this stuff is that:
A. hydraulics have a much better service record than cables, and
B. The rigging would look a lot cleaner than all the damn cables that you can't do much with from a radius standpoint.
Keep us posted after it hits the water.
Chris

flat broke
01-29-2004, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by HBjet
HBjet
It's all about the bling bling ;) Braided -4 looks a hell of a lot more trick than a red or black jacked steering control cable running through your bilge :D
Not to mention the other reasons I mentioned.
Chris

SoCal Power
01-29-2004, 05:00 PM
Thanks HB, I'm shooting for early April.
Good question. I decided to do it because it's different. There is no distinct advantage other than it will be very smooth with zero back-lash. The same can be achieved with dual mechanical systems but anyone can get/install those off the shelf.
Tryin to be a little custom with this effort.
db

flat broke
01-29-2004, 05:08 PM
SoCal,
Where did you source the helm? I tried lookin on West Marine's page but no luck.
Thanks,
Chris

565edge
01-29-2004, 06:00 PM
HBjet
Whats a get?

Infomaniac
01-29-2004, 06:22 PM
Sea Star Helm by Teleflex is a good one.
I put one in the Cougar.

HBjet
01-29-2004, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by 565edge
Whats a get?
jet

565edge
01-29-2004, 07:03 PM
jet
Thanks!

SoCal Power
01-29-2004, 07:06 PM
It's a Teleflex Sea Star HH5272. I got it at L&L Marine in Anaheim.
Not sure of minimum bend radius on the nylon tubing. My guess is approx. 6 inches. I'm using Dayco Nylo-Seal 66-NSR-3/8. You may be able to get the info from the Dayco website or from the place I bought it, The Hose Man in Colton.
In this application the nylon tubing will be under the bustle then routed under the strbd gunwale to the helm. There is plenty of room for smooth bends w/ big radii. Yes, I'm using compression fittings.
I thought about doing the shifter (similar to hydraulic throttle found on offroad cars) but decided to stay with the cable since the customer is going with a manual place diverter anyway.
The only custom pieces on this steering are the wing plate which mounts using 3 of the bowl bolts (this bowl is double-drilled) and the rod ends that attach to the tiller clevises.

Cs19
01-29-2004, 11:09 PM
Lets see some more pics, even some of the unrigged parts.
Nice work DB. Looks great, I like the idea of trying new and different things. Im sure I will be seeing lots of that boat this summer,I visit aha quin frequently in the summer.