PDA

View Full Version : Deck Boat Choices

Mike67rs
01-29-2004, 04:47 PM
Hello all,
I'm a newbie here in the market for a 26'-28' deck boat. I currently own a 91 Carrera 20.5 Sport Elite which has treated us real well. I am not as concerned with speed as I am with build quality, smooth ride (pregnant wife) and ergonomics. I had a chance to hit the boat show and saw several candidates including the Hallett 260, Top Cat, Magic 28, HTM (unfinished) and Advantage 26' Party Cat. I have not seen much posted about the Hallett 260 and was wondering if anyone has opinions on this boat. I liked the deck set up and value. I am looking at running the 496 Mag HO and got a round figure price of about $83,000 out the door. I have read some negative opinions on Hallett's sales persons in another post...I was treated very well by their salesman at the boat show. I hope this does not start a bashing war...I am looking for honest opinions on the Hallett.

little rowe boat
01-29-2004, 05:33 PM
It's a Hallett,you know it's built well. I would also check out Conquest,they have a bad ass deck boat.:cool:

CAPTROBBY
01-29-2004, 05:48 PM
I'VE DONE ALOT OF HOMEWORK ON THE WHOLE DECKBOAT SCENE. CONQUEST, ELIMINATOR, HALLET, LAVEY, ADVANTAGE, ALL ARE NICE BOATS, HOWEVER I JUST PLUNKED DOWN MY MONEY FOR THE MAGIC. IN MY OPINION IT STANDS HEAD AND SHOUDERS ABOVE THE OTHERS. THE QUALITY IS TOP NOTCH, AND EQUIPMENT THAT IS EXTRA ON THE OTHERS IS STANDARD ON THE MAGIC. THE BOAT IS ALSO VERY WELL THOUGHT OUT. AFTER LOOKING AT SEVERAL BOATS I THINK YOU WILL COME TO THE SAME CONLUSION.
THIS PICTURE OF MY NEW RIDE WAS TAKEN TODAY, RIGGING TO START TOMORROW.

cheezpanel
01-29-2004, 05:56 PM
That's a great looking boat. I love the colors and lines. Not too flashy, but more classic looking.

BoatFloating
01-29-2004, 05:58 PM
Deck Boat (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3039) But you could save about $20K and have pretty much ever upgrade there is.

OutCole'd
01-29-2004, 07:11 PM
Is there any thread that has been done more times than the Deckboat threads?
And don't they usually turn into Conquest vs. Magic?

Mike67rs
01-29-2004, 07:25 PM
We can stop if you like. Thank you all for the responses. I kinda figured the responses would go towards Conquest and Magic. I was looking for more specific feedback on the Hallett. I did not consider Hawaiian but I will look into their offerings. Capt...That is a nice boat! Mike

OutCole'd
01-29-2004, 07:34 PM
No, don't get me wrong, these forums are a great source of info. It is just every month or so, this thread pops up again, it is obviously something that alot of people are interested in.
By the way, I have a new Magic deck under construction, so you know my favorite.
Good luck with your purchase.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1075IM001429_resized_1jpg.jpg

SoCalOffshore
01-29-2004, 08:19 PM
My cousin is looking for a deckboat. I spent all dam day at the boat show last weekend looking at deck boats. Based upon countless hours of research the best deckboat is without a doubt............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .....your own personal preference. :D
Although, I think he liked the Magic a little more.

Coach
01-29-2004, 08:46 PM
I would have to say I was a bit disappointed in some of the rigging of the conquest. This was the first time I looked at a conquest and found little things like the cover to the storage area on the driver’s side to be a plastic lid which IMHO looked cheap. None of the side rails had any bezels to clean up the look. I have read about and seen the conquests on the water and based upon that; performance is not an issue. I was just expecting more attention to small details.

hot_diggity_dog
01-29-2004, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by OutCole'd
Is there any thread that has been done more times than the Deckboat threads?
And don't they usually turn into Conquest vs. Magic?
I think I layed out he whole deck boat seen from Production to custom pretty well!;)
HDD'S L.A. Boat Show Deck Boat preview 2004 (http://www.riverratlife.com/galleries/labshdd/)
HDD:cool:

OutCole'd
01-29-2004, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by hot_diggity_dog
I think I layed out he whole deck boat seen from Production to custom pretty well!;)
HDD'S L.A. Boat Show Deck Boat preview 2004 (http://www.riverratlife.com/galleries/labshdd/)
I agree, you did a great job. But what is with just two pics of the Magic??:D :D

hot_diggity_dog
01-29-2004, 09:34 PM
I agree, you did a great job. But what is with just two pics of the Magic??:D :D
I went back twice and they wouldn't get off the freaking boat! Or peeps were stanidng next to it eating.:mad: :mad:

Buff
01-29-2004, 09:35 PM
Mike67- Hallett has a red 26' tunnel deck boat with blue flames right now on display at the LA Boat Show at the Convention Center. HP 525 for power - nice rig. Comes with a triple axle Extreme Trailer with a boarding ladder up front. Buf

OutCole'd
01-29-2004, 09:36 PM
That is funny, I went there to take a bunch of pics of it, but I could not get a clear shot of the boat. There were people crawling all over that thing.
I guess that made me feel kinda good though.

Ivan Dan
01-29-2004, 11:19 PM
I'm probably a biased opinion too considering but I still went to the boat show and spent 3 hours there looking at all the different deckboats and cats. I still think the Magic is the nicest deckboat, has the best looks, and most features for the money.
Bill, boat looks really nice! Can't wait to see it on the water in LHC. When is it supposed to be done?
Captrobby, clean ride can't wait to see yours on the water too!
You guys know when the Magic Regatta is this year? I heard it was going to be in June sometime but anyone know the exact date?
www.DanKaatz.com

Mike67rs
01-30-2004, 02:16 AM
Thanks again for the replies...Buff, I spent quite a bit of time admiring the Hallett at the boat show. I wasn't too crazy about the colors myself, but I liked the layout. Outcole'd, I did check out all of your photos from the boat show. They look a lot like the photos I took myself. I am afraid the Magic may be a little out of my $80-$85K price range, but I really like the boat...Mike

OutCole'd
01-30-2004, 05:01 AM
I know you could close the deal on a Magic with a 496HO for 85K or less.
If interested, call them, talk to Darrin.

Mike67rs
01-30-2004, 05:26 AM
I know you could close the deal on a Magic with a 496HO for 85K or less.
If interested, call them, talk to Darrin.
Hmmmm, Out the door? Did I mention I like the Magic... I'll give him a call...Thanks

hot_diggity_dog
01-30-2004, 07:35 AM
If price is a major concern, there is not a custom deck boat out there you could beat for the price.
24' Cheetah Fast Cat;)
http://www.riverratlife.com/uploads/hdd/boat/hdd1.jpg
http://www.riverratlife.com/uploads/hdd/boat/hdd2.jpg
http://www.riverratlife.com/uploads/hdd/boat/hdd3.jpg
http://www.riverratlife.com/uploads/hdd/boat/hdddash.jpg
http://www.riverratlife.com/uploads/hdd/boat/hddoglogo.jpg

Mike67rs
01-30-2004, 09:28 AM
...If price is a major concern, there is not a custom deck boat out there you could beat for the price.
I knew I came here for a reason. I'm going to Havasu for Presidents Day Weekend, I'll stop by there (and Advantage) and see what they have. The 28' looks promising also

little rowe boat
01-30-2004, 11:11 AM
I'm not knocking Advantage, because I believe they build a nice boat.My Cousin bought a 28' party cat and it has been the boat from hell.Delamination,mechanical probs etc......

24sleekenforcer
01-30-2004, 11:34 AM
Ivan Dan, The dates are June 18 -20th fathers day weekend at Lake Havasu. The website has dates and some info about it.
http://www.magicpowerboats.com/

STGP
01-30-2004, 12:44 PM
One more vote for Magic, Mike67rs, call them I know you can make that deal. I'll post a pic from the boat show (sorry there are people in the boat), and a pic of my boat. See any similarities?
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/598PICT0010-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/598P1010081-med.JPG

Ducatista
01-30-2004, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by CAPTROBBY
I'VE DONE ALOT OF HOMEWORK ON THE WHOLE DECKBOAT SCENE. CONQUEST, ELIMINATOR, HALLET, LAVEY, ADVANTAGE, ALL ARE NICE BOATS, HOWEVER I JUST PLUNKED DOWN MY MONEY FOR THE MAGIC. IN MY OPINION IT STANDS HEAD AND SHOUDERS ABOVE THE OTHERS. THE QUALITY IS TOP NOTCH, AND EQUIPMENT THAT IS EXTRA ON THE OTHERS IS STANDARD ON THE MAGIC. THE BOAT IS ALSO VERY WELL THOUGHT OUT. AFTER LOOKING AT SEVERAL BOATS I THINK YOU WILL COME TO THE SAME CONLUSION.
THIS PICTURE OF MY NEW RIDE WAS TAKEN TODAY, RIGGING TO START TOMORROW.
Congrats Rich.....you bastard! Outcole'd and Ivan Dan and the rest.....very nice!:cool:

Dino
01-30-2004, 01:05 PM
Ive got a 99 partycat for sale. Im living up in Oregon now and I hate to see this thing just sit in my barn.
It has over 18k in stereo, 7.4mpi w/bravoIII, under 100 hrs.
really nice boat. http://www.advantageboats.com/gallery/hoffmanpartycat.jpg
give me an offer and you may pickup a $ 95,000.00 for alot less
than new....

OutCole'd
01-30-2004, 01:39 PM
I think with all the new Magic deck owners here, we should form a new gang.

Ducatista
01-30-2004, 02:02 PM
The "Magicians"
You can get cool vests and stuff:cool:

OutCole'd
01-30-2004, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Ducatista
The "Magicians"
You can get cool vests and stuff:cool:
I like it. How aboyt some top hats also?
Man, is this gonna be cool. I always wanted to be in a gang.

STGP
01-30-2004, 02:21 PM
Yeah-----The Magicians----I'm in, now all we need are lots of naked Magichicks

OutCole'd
01-30-2004, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by STGP
Yeah-----The Magicians----I'm in, now all we need are lots of naked Magichicks
Great idea on the naked girls. Since it was your idea, you are in charge of bringing them.:D

1ASKYDV
01-30-2004, 02:57 PM
Ya, there does seam to be a lot more of those trouble makers around now. :wink: :wink:

Ivan Dan
01-30-2004, 02:59 PM
I'm in for the gang....I might even be able to bring some Magichicks with us too. I have already begun working on that for the summer festivities. Are you guys planning to hit the regatta? I am planning to be there for sure.
www.DanKaatz.com

1ASKYDV
01-30-2004, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Ivan Dan
Are you guys planning to hit the regatta? I am planning to be there for sure.
www.DanKaatz.com
I will be there, but I don't know if I can hang out with you all...my boat is a year old now...:D

DogHouse
01-30-2004, 03:08 PM
So is this gang delio for deck owners only, or is there room for some "fast kitties" as well? :D

OutCole'd
01-30-2004, 03:11 PM
I will be at the regatta for sure.
And yes 1ASKDV, you can hang only because your boat is so cool.
Doghouse you can join only if you are a tuff guy, because we need one of those.:D

DogHouse
01-30-2004, 03:17 PM
Now THAT'S a good one...
Ok I'll try. Well that didn't work.
Tough guy, yeah right... You're gonna need Jordy for this job!
http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0903/lachen/laughing-smiley-014.gif

1ASKYDV
01-30-2004, 03:26 PM
I definitely see trouble brewing....:cool:

chromecat
01-30-2004, 03:36 PM
don't forget about the new 28 american offshore deck boat, there is one at the LA show. runs low 70's with 496 mag HO, options, trailer, mid 70k
Don

OutCole'd
01-30-2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by DogHouse
Now THAT'S a good one...
Ok I'll try. Well that didn't work.
Tough guy, yeah right... You're gonna need Jordy for this job!
http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0903/lachen/laughing-smiley-014.gif
Well, you have the tuffest name.

STGP
01-30-2004, 05:36 PM
I going to try to make the regatta, but that weekend is tough for me. If I do make it i'll be sure to bring a couple of Magichicks (mrs.STGP and a couple of extras).

OutCole'd
01-30-2004, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by STGP
I going to try to make the regatta, but that weekend is tough for me. If I do make it i'll be sure to bring a couple of Magichicks (mrs.STGP and a couple of extras).
You gotta show, it would be cool to meet some of the peeps I have been talking to all this time.

boatslayer
01-30-2004, 07:37 PM
go with an htm they are all around nice boat
im shure that there deck boat will be sweet

Jordy
01-30-2004, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by boatslayer
go with an htm they are all around nice boat
im shure that there deck boat will be sweet
Not to open a can of worms but I wouldn't buy an HTM based upon principle alone. Lots of cudos can be thrown their way for the jumps in insurance rates, lake closures and Nazi like enforcment of regulations that wouldn't be in place without them. :yuk:

boatslayer
01-30-2004, 08:07 PM
are you talking about the htm crash because that wasnt there fault i could have happend to any company
cut them a litle slack
please

Jordy
01-30-2004, 08:13 PM
are you talking about the htm crash because that wasnt there fault i could have happend to any company
cut them a litle slack
please
You're kidding right? Wasn't their fault? That's right, it was the rangers fault for letting them run that fast and not insisting they have a chase boat, EMT's and a whole list of other items. I think they should sue the county for not stopping them. Funny thing is, I live in AZ and it doesn't affect me as a taxpayer there, but it still pisses me off based upon principle. I don't care if HTM comes out with the baddest pimp daddy boat that will party all day and you can drive it home down the road without a trailer, I won't buy one because of the shit storm they brought down on everyone.
If you don't think that wreck, and don't get me wrong because it's a sad deal, had a detrimental effect on boating for the rest of the country you need to wake up. :rolleyes:

Havasu Hangin'
01-30-2004, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by jordanpaulk
...I won't buy one because of the shit storm they brought down on everyone.
So the crash has affected your boating? A "shitstorm" has come down on you v-bottom jet guys, eh? Your insurance higher? Your lake closed?
No "shitstorm" on me...I guess I'm just no one. My insurance is the same, my lake is still open, and I still don't get harassed by the police.
Personally, I wear a vest more than I used to...but I guess I learn by other's mistakes.

boatslayer
01-30-2004, 08:24 PM
it did make a big diference on boating but your pissed at them because they were out testing a boat and they got in an axedent/ like i said it could have been any company.
axedents happen
i dont think you should not buy one of there boats becuase of an axedent that happend 2years ago

boatslayer
01-30-2004, 08:25 PM
thank Havasu Hangin'

Jordy
01-30-2004, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Havasu Hangin'
So the crash has affected your boating? A "shitstorm" has come down on you v-bottom jet guys, eh? Your insurance higher? Your lake closed?
If you don't think that it affected everyone in one way or another look around. As far as the v-bottom jet remark, that's probably not going to be the only boat I own. In fact, I've been doing some comparisons on boats in the 25'-28' range and while I would love to buy a cat, insurance is a minimum of double from what I've seen on a comparably equipped v-hull. Cruise through the boards, particularly the cat section and see how many people have been dropped for no reason because insurance companies see the outcome from certain events on a California lake. As luck would have it, most everything that starts off in Cali ends up in Arizona next. Just something to look forward to I suppose. :cool:

Jordy
01-30-2004, 08:29 PM
it did make a big diference on boating but your pissed at them because they were out testing a boat and they got in an axedent/ like i said it could have been any company.
axedents happen
i dont think you should not buy one of there boats becuase of an axedent that happend 2years ago
I'm sure you mean "accident" but out of curiousity how old are you anyway?
It could have been any company that had a reckless disregard for life and safety measures normally taken. You can only push your luck so many times before it all comes tumbling down. Come to think of it, I'm not sure that I've ever heard of anyone pushing the safety thing as far as it was pushed with HTM.

Havasu Hangin'
01-30-2004, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by jordanpaulk
...Cruise through the boards, particularly the cat section and see how many people have been dropped for no reason because insurance companies see the outcome from certain events on a California lake....
Uh...don't you think you're reaching a little? My friends with cats have had insurance problems long before the HTM crash.
I cruise through the cat section everyday (I like the moderator)...if you do a search pre-crash...there were lots of issues on insurance. I think you hear about it now more because there are many, many more cats being sold than 3 years ago, and they are ALOT faster (bigger HP).
Now I am looking around...I don't see it affecting me, or my boating friends...and these guys have some fast cats. Oh wait...they wear vests more, too.
Of course, none of us go to Castaic...so I can't vouch for that place.

boatslayer
01-30-2004, 08:39 PM
Havasu Hangin'
knows what he's talking about
thanks
sorry i cant spell very well but that doesnt mean im young

LAVEYSABRE575
01-30-2004, 08:48 PM
i owned an HTM before and after the accident 750 hp my ins was never affected price wise. I guess were in for another increase with this recent spectre crash ?Jordy im curious what kind of boat do you own ?....

boater
01-30-2004, 09:53 PM
have you checked out carreras 257 party effect its a pretty nice boat well loaded for the money and from first hand experience its about 20 grand cheaper than most other comprable boats

JLaughreySS24
02-09-2004, 06:54 PM
Havasu Hangin and Lavey are correct! Some people just need to move on and get over the HTM accident!! I lost someone that was like a brother to me! Accidents happen no matter what lake you are on and no matter what saftey equipment you are wearing. Unfortunatly it is very easy to target HTM after that horrible crash. All those guys should have had their gear on that day but they didnt. Would it have saved their lives? We will never know. But to bash HTM for it is really getting old and really sucks. This accident could have happend to any company. Something to keep in mind is that all these new big cats with big HP plus sitting behind canopies really increases your confidence level. Going 120MPH behind canopies really doesnt feel dangerious. If you were and insurance co you would raise your rates just based on the new products that are out today, not from what happened up at Castaic.