PDA

View Full Version : I need some driveshaft advice

rrrr
01-29-2004, 05:01 PM
Hey guys, long time no talk....
I have started working on the ol' Howard in anticipation of warmer weather. :D
My driveshaft is the original item. When I did the resto work I had it rebalanced. It threw the weights first time out. I welded 'em back on with a MIG, trying to keep the bead to a minimum for balance reasons. Last trip out it tossed a weight again. I looked it over, and decided after 37 years a new one might be a good idea. It's nothing fancy, just has 1350's on both ends.
So the question......
Is there anything special I should know when I get a new one built? Seems like it needs to be different than a car type since it's turning around 7500 RPM.

Rexone
01-29-2004, 05:49 PM
If you existing driveline is 37 years old without problems, I'd take it to a driveline shop, get it balanced with weights welded on good and run it (unless there's damage you haven't mentioned). If the u-joints are good there's really not much to wear out here.
Rex(cheapbastard)one

LeE ss13
01-29-2004, 06:13 PM
Forget the Italian Marijuana Cigarettes, (Is thata U-Joint), go to a solid driveshaft !!!! Much safer.

LakesOnly
01-29-2004, 06:38 PM
Okay rrrr, this is going to sound totally Micky-Mouse backyard mechanic, etc.
I lost weights on a driveshaft once (car) and it was way too out of balance to to ignore.
I put a hose clamp(s) on it with the screw-buckle where the weight was. Fine tuning was a matter of loosening the hose clamp and rotating a few degress.
Okay everybody, start shooting:D
LO
p.s. is the welding equipment properly adjusted to get good penetration...to adequately fuse the weight to the shaft?

rrrr
01-29-2004, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by LakesOnly
I lost weights on a driveshaft once (car) and it was way too out of balance to to ignore.
I put a hose clamp(s) on it with the screw-buckle where the weight was. Fine tuning was a matter of loosening the hose clamp and rotating a few degress.
LO
p.s. is the welding equipment properly adjusted to get good penetration...to adequately fuse the weight to the shaft?
LOL, not only are you even cheaper than Rexone, there's a hillbilly streak there too. :D :D
My tack weld was just a bit too small, and there was prolly a bit of grease or oil involved too.
I guess I 'll look around in the boat, find the weight and try again.
BTW, the Dallas Boat Show is this weekend. Gettin' the shakes just thinkin' about it. :D :D

LakesOnly
01-29-2004, 06:59 PM
A good fusion weld job with proper machine settings will hold the weight. Afterwards, grab a stick and lay an equal bead 180* from the weight to offest the fusion weld.
LO
p.ss If you don't like the hose clamp idea, I've heard good things about duct tape...:rolleyes:

76BARRON
01-29-2004, 07:50 PM
and zip tie's too!:D

Rexone
01-29-2004, 08:14 PM
LO
I'm cheap but that hose clamp dealio would take the "bogus repair of the year award".
:D

rrrr
01-29-2004, 08:28 PM
I picture a big houn' dog sleeping in LO's boat.... :D :D

Rexone
01-29-2004, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by rrrr
I picture a big houn' dog sleeping in LO's boat.... :D :D
chewin on the ol wood steerin wheel

beaverfab
01-30-2004, 05:24 AM
rrrr if you find the weights bring them by and I will tig them on should be good to go. j.j.

LakesOnly
01-30-2004, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Rexone
I'm cheap but that hose clamp dealio would take the "bogus repair of the year award".
:D
I got it! How 'bout we create a "MacGyver Award?"
LO

Blown 472
01-30-2004, 02:51 PM
LO
Seen that done, what is better is an old bike tube tied around your neighbors driveshaft so when he drives it slaps the underside and sounds like a flat.:D

LakesOnly
01-30-2004, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Blown 472
...what is better is an old bike tube tied around your neighbors driveshaft so when he drives it slaps the underside and sounds like a flat.:D
LMFAO! I know just the neighbor to do this to!!!!!:devil:
LO

Jake W
01-30-2004, 06:43 PM
Man that is Dick Blown but funny:idea:
Jake:D

gochappy
01-30-2004, 08:21 PM
I like the hoseclamps...true reneckanism is what keeps this country moving....

Blown 472
01-30-2004, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by gochappy
I like the hoseclamps...true reneckanism is what keeps this country moving....
Redneckanism?? I like that word and it sums up some of my friends.