PDA

View Full Version : Water Heaters?? Anyone know??

9er
03-27-2006, 03:35 PM
I'm looking to replace our 50 gallon gas residential water heater. Anyone have any good/bad experiences with any particular brand or type???

Mandelon
03-27-2006, 03:38 PM
I recently put in a tankless Rinnai. Endless Hot water. Cost a fortune, but hot showers on demand are worth it....my gas consumption is way down compared to the old style 12 year old 50 gallon gas heater we used to have, plus it freed up a whole closet!

9er
03-27-2006, 03:44 PM
I thought about that but we're already maxed out with our electrical box and would have to put in a sub-panel. More money..........
For now I'm probably better to do a straight replacement. Thanks though!

Mandelon
03-27-2006, 03:47 PM
Its gas. Only plugs in for the ignitor.......no panel upgrade needed.
The whole deal ended up costing about $1200 and day of work for me.
I think AO Smith and RUUD make good water heaters. Buy one at a plumbing supply house, not a big box store.

9er
03-27-2006, 03:53 PM
K, I checked them out, very trick. There's a dealer just up the street from me. I'll have to look into it.
Thanks!!

KineticoH20
03-27-2006, 04:01 PM
I'm looking to replace our 50 gallon gas residential water heater. Anyone have any good/bad experiences with any particular brand or type???
I just put in a 50 gal self cleaning unt, call Express pipe & supply and ask them some questions, if you want one from them pm me I have an acct there.

Ziggy
03-27-2006, 04:05 PM
For a Standard water heater I recommend Rheem.
Next one will be a tankless unit in my house....I need the space in the garage :D

Mandelon
03-27-2006, 04:08 PM
Talk to Sportin Wood. Also do a search here, there are several threads about it.

RitcheyRch
03-27-2006, 04:38 PM
Look at the tankless water heaters. You can actually get a $300 rebate from the gas company for buying one.

9er
03-27-2006, 04:44 PM
I'm swinging that way (tankless gas). Just need to figure out what brand and get the details on the venting..
My original heater is installed in the garage and vents in between the upstairs walls and out the roof.
Still can't figure out how they're more efficient though with that fat gas line.
Thanks and keep the opinions coming.

Mandelon
03-27-2006, 04:56 PM
My gas bill is way down this year and my kids take more frequent and longer :mad: showers. It doesn't heat the water when you don't need it, only on demand. No tank of hot water sitting around all day, no pilot light running... We run 3 heads at once, and it keeps up.
No need to hurry through shower sex cuz you are worried the hot water will run out. You can take your time...... :crossx:

phebus
03-27-2006, 05:02 PM
Mandy, did you have to change out your gas supply to a larger diameter, and did you have to run a different vent?
When I looked into them a couple of years ago, you needed a 3/4 supply, and different venting then I had here at the house.

Mandelon
03-27-2006, 05:15 PM
I got lucky and had a big 1" suupply line coming into my water heater closet and adjacent laundry room. It also feed the furnace which I stuck up in the attic.
Needless to say, I have plenty of gas.... :skull:
I did help out a friend who only had a 1/2" line. He put one of the tankless heaters in and didn't get much hot water out of it. We upsized his from the meter to the heater with 1.25" and then a big flex line and he has way more hot water than before. So a big line is important.

HMF'er
03-27-2006, 05:27 PM
No need to hurry through shower sex cuz you are worried the hot water will run out. You can take your time...... :crossx:
You got your money's worth right there!

Flying Tiger
03-27-2006, 05:31 PM
Go Tankless if it's easy to increase the dia of the exhaust pipe through to atmosphere.
The Bosch is a bit fussy to install, and has some goofy details.
Home depot has (had?) a few lines that are good.