PDA

View Full Version : power trim $100

RedRocket
01-30-2004, 12:49 PM
Is anyone running manual diverter and wants power trim? I used a power window unit from an old gm at a wreckers for 5 bucks and got a cable made for 80. it has enough power to trim under full throttle and it's is faster than a hyd. unit. I've been using it for eight years with no problems and I have the switch on the steering wheel which is sweet.I can give more info on rigging it if anyone wants.

BrendellaJet
01-30-2004, 02:12 PM
can you post some pics?

RedRocket
01-30-2004, 04:26 PM
I can in about a week or so when I bring it home, I'm in Canada and we got about 3 feet of snow this week! crap!

likwidsukr
01-31-2004, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by RedRocket
Is anyone running manual diverter and wants power trim? I used a power window unit from an old gm at a wreckers for 5 bucks and got a cable made for 80. it has enough power to trim under full throttle and it's is faster than a hyd. unit. I've been using it for eight years with no problems and I have the switch on the steering wheel which is sweet.I can give more info on rigging it if anyone wants.
Hell yeah! Good idea. Post some pics when you can for sure...sweet:cool:

Checkmate
01-31-2004, 01:10 PM
Nothing new, that is exactly what I have and it came straight from Berkeley. It was an option for the electric trim on the 12JF pump. I went a step further and put 3 microswitches in the box wired to lights on the dash so I know when I am full down, full up, or center. Have to rewire it this year though, had some problems with it.

RedRocket
01-31-2004, 03:53 PM
that's cool, why didn't it catch on?
i've never seen one, just the linear trim that's close. There's alot out there with the big lanky manual control. I first tried building one with a hydraulic unit from a rag top, big mistake. Only thing with the power window unit , it should be mounted somewhere other than the engine compartment with an enclosed engine, for the spark risk. It would be just as easy just a longer cable. Also , I'm building a trim indicator with a choke cable that will run up to the dash with some kind of dial attached.

Jeteka
02-10-2004, 12:12 PM
Bump... I really want to see some pics of how all this is mounted.:)

Checkmate
02-10-2004, 07:21 PM
If a pic is not posted by tomorrow, I will pull my unit out (:D ) and take a pic for ya. I have to clean it up anyway.

UBFJ #454
02-11-2004, 09:56 AM
How long does it take to go from full + to full - ? Thinking of potentially another application if its fast enough.

cyclone
02-11-2004, 12:44 PM
that sounds real cool. i want to see pics too.

roostwear
02-11-2004, 12:55 PM
If it's the same as mine, it takes roughly 2 seconds full up to full down. Takes a little getting used to, and it would be better for me if it was a little slower. The nice part is you don't have to worry about hydraulic leaks, just running a cable through the transom. I had to mount mine in the engine compartment (closed), but the motor is sealed too, so the risk is minimal.

superdave013
02-11-2004, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by RedRocket
I'm building a trim indicator with a choke cable that will run up to the dash with some kind of dial attached.
Take a look at what the offshore guys are doing with their Trim Tab indicators. Should be pretty easy to make.

RedRocket
02-11-2004, 01:33 PM
Guessing mine takes 3 seconds from down to up. My boat is still buried in snow, but it will be home soon (we're above 0 degrees celsius now) and I will post pics. Another point when mounting: the window unit has a spring that winds up to lift the weight of the window, so I use that direction for up trim since it takes more effort.

UBFJ #454
02-11-2004, 05:32 PM
Thanks guys for the times ... Think their a little slow for what I had in mind.

Checkmate
02-11-2004, 06:48 PM
Forgot to take a pic tonight. I'll get one tomorrow.

King Kuracz
02-11-2004, 08:37 PM
If you are using a Berk drive unit, you don't need to add any microswitches to get a full up or down indicator light.
Just connect an LED in series with a 1k resistor and connect it across the leads going to the limit switches in the box. When the limit switch opens to stop the motor at full travel, the LED will illuminate.
Simple as that, and since it's a low current device you only need to run small gauge wire (phone wire is what I used) up to the dash.

Jeteka
02-20-2004, 08:43 PM
OK, bring on the pics! Also pics and ideas of how you made the trim gauges work.

Wet Dream
02-21-2004, 06:50 AM
Pics...yeah pics. I want to see pics of the wheel mounted buttons and also this cool idea of LEDs. We all know the original trim gauge doesn't work for crap. The best source is "Turn the head to aft and see what its doing" :D

Jeteka
02-28-2004, 11:59 PM
TTT... Snows gotta stop sometime.:D Get out there and take some pics!

RedRocket
02-29-2004, 02:50 PM
sorry Jeteka, everytime it starts to look like spring here we get a big dump of snow. I guess that's why they call it Whitecourt. As soon as I can get it out of storage with 4wd it is coming home.