PDA

View Full Version : race nozzle

RedRocket
01-30-2004, 04:31 PM
Just wondering if you 'glass boaters ever run the race nozzles we run on our tin racers. You lose trim feature and most don't have reverse but we gain a true 3-5mph and the steering is superlight and quick.

MikeF
01-30-2004, 07:40 PM
Jack has a similar type on his #2 Liberty. Basically, It is a Bayjet bowl w/a Jacuzzi nozzle attached to it (w/a certain diameter orifice at a certain angle for optimum performance w/ his setup). He does have a reverse though.
He says that the normal Berkeley type nozzle creates a turbulence that the Jacuzzi deflector nozzle does not.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/153JM29-med.JPG

RedRocket
01-31-2004, 06:45 AM
that looks like the same ball and socket design that American Turbine uses too, which flows better than the berkely also. The race nozzle I'm talking about is a long steel funnel that bolts directly to the bowl.seen one?

Jungle Boy
01-31-2004, 07:38 AM
From what I gather here, most of the lake boat guys don't use a fixed angle nozzle like we do. They want a Diverter type for quick hole shots and if you travel much on lakes it's nice to have reverse. But you are right about the MPH and handling benefits of these river boat style nozzles.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/259F1010015-med.jpg

DORIGHT
01-31-2004, 07:59 AM
Does it need to have the twin Rack style stearing?

Aluminum Squirt
01-31-2004, 11:12 AM
No. I've got regular steering. Went from a regular Legend w/PD to the fabricated nozzle and didn't change anything else. It got me at least 3 MPH. I miss reverse and my hole shot a little but I like it-Aluminum Squirt

Duane HTP
01-31-2004, 02:17 PM
Those work on the same principal as the SNOOT. That's why you pick up the MPH.

RedRocket
01-31-2004, 03:58 PM
That's true but that's not the only reason they work, they flow much less restrictive and turbulance is greatly reduced

Havasu Hangin'
01-31-2004, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Jungle Boy
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/259F1010015-med.jpg
What's that stuff on the ground?

Blown 472
01-31-2004, 05:42 PM
Jungle that bowl looks short?? is it?

matt1
01-31-2004, 06:10 PM
Boy it sure does.

Jungle Boy
02-01-2004, 11:37 AM
I have twin rack on my boat as do most of the race boats out there. The bowl is a stock Berkley unit. I have a 2" spacer now between the back of the bowl and the nozzle. That gave another couple of MPH too. These nozzles have only one moving part and are able to hold together if you happen to run over a gravel bars or two.

RedRocket
02-01-2004, 04:18 PM
Hey junge boy, do you think the spacer would give mph on a 19' step tech with a medium nozzle? Did you get your new 19' yet? and what color is it?

Jungle Boy
02-02-2004, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by RedRocket
Hey junge boy, do you think the spacer would give mph on a 19' step tech with a medium nozzle? Did you get your new 19' yet? and what color is it?
I don't believe the spacer on a 19' sport will give you much benefits. We tried several nozzle lengths on my old 19' and the longer we got, the lighter the boat steered and it wanted to spin out under hard cornering. It may give you a bit of an increase on top end, but it will suffer when turning due to very little running surface in the water. I ran a medium length nozzle on mine and will run the same one on the new boat. It gets out of the paint shop tomorrow and will be ready to go shortly after. I had it painted that new Dodge colour "Butane Blue". It's a light blue pearl (sp). I think it will look good.

RedRocket
02-02-2004, 01:53 PM
JB, gonna posta pic? should look sweet, did you go with the angled or curved windscreen? That little lip makes a huge difference in keeping your eyeballs from drying up. Are you racing zz4 class too?I just saw the 2003 world riverboat races and must say all jetboat junkies should have this dvd from eagleracing.ca

BrendellaJet
02-02-2004, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by MikeF
Jack has a similar type on his #2 Liberty. Basically, It is a Bayjet bowl w/a Jacuzzi nozzle attached to it (w/a certain diameter orifice at a certain angle for optimum performance w/ his setup). He does have a reverse though.
He says that the normal Berkeley type nozzle creates a turbulence that the Jacuzzi deflector nozzle does not.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/153JM29-med.JPG
WTF? I paid the guy money to hack mine off and he's running that setup? Anybody else hear of this before?
Mike F, got any more pics of his pump, Id like to see how he mounted it...

MikeF
02-02-2004, 06:36 PM
Assuming that you have a diverter, that is probably what you wanted/needed.
He has cavitation plates that do the work of the up/down nozzle (down mainly) and he had plenty of time invested in making it work for him. I'm sure if you wanted to invest the amount of time setting up your boat the way he did his......I do not think you would like that bill (but I'm sure he would!).
You gotta remember that this is a 1974 boat w/ 9+ years of racing in it's history and I'm sure he figured some things out during that time that worked for his particular hull. Today's combinations are changing and getting better. All it takes is dollars, experience and experimentation!:D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/153JM161.jpg