PDA

View Full Version : Advantage Banshee with Mariner 2.4 EFI

lakesmodified
01-30-2004, 07:20 PM
OK guys, looks like I might be coming to the world of blenders(I think that's what some guys call them?) Anyways, looking to get an Advantage Banshee Tunnel with a 2.4 Mariner EFI and wanted to get any opinions, advice, feedback, anything you can supply to help me make an "Informed" decision. I'm sure you've seen it on dragboats.com.. It's the 1993 in the hot boats section. Does the price seem inline? How about the high compression heads? What are they worth in the used market? Nitrous on an OB? Is that safe? Thanks in advance...

HavasuBarney
01-31-2004, 12:39 PM
Mariner and Mercury are one in the same, same company, same motors.
I guess that they were attempting to create their own competition.

lakesmodified
01-31-2004, 01:32 PM
Barney, thanks for taking the time this morning and walking me through the world of outboards... Ivan:D

HavasuDreamin'
01-31-2004, 03:40 PM
I am sure Barney gave you good advice, but here is my $.02.
1. I think the rigging towards the back is sloppy at best. (expanded pictures show back)
2. The colors leave a little to be desired. :rolleyes:
3. The Banshee/Elim. Scorpion never ran as well as most hulls.
4. You could by twice the boat for the same money depending on what you want.
5. I would be concerned buying a used boat rigged with NOS. You don't know how hard he ran it.
Any boat you buy, make sure you have a compression test done or better yet a leak down test. If it were me, I would consider an STV or mirage with a 2.5L stock motor. It will run just as hard as that boat does on NOS and if you buy it from the right person, should be cleaner (rigging, etc). Expect to pay $12K - $15K.
HD

lakesmodified
01-31-2004, 05:14 PM
HD, thanks for your 2 cents! I appreciate all the help/advice I can get regarding outboards. As far as the color, damn, I guess I'm going to have to admit that I like it:rolleyes: .. The rigging doesn't bother me, since I can do it right, BUT I do agree with you about the nitrous. It has been a concern of mine(If I bought it, I would probably take it off anyways) He mentions about NOT using it, but how about the previous owner? And like you said: "How hard was it run?" As far as the STV's, I know those hulls are extremely fast, and will just about out-perform any other tunnel on the market with same powerplants, BUT, I don't like how they look. Also the back seat in them are rather narrow, even for two extremely thin individuals. I guess I should have added that I'm not actually buying this boat, but rather trading for it. Thanks again..

Kim Hanson
01-31-2004, 09:28 PM
This is what I found on them, I love those boats:cool: .....( . )( . ).....'s
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
High performance is something which Advantage knows very well. K-Boat championships and jet boat records are proof of that. And bred from that tradition is the 20' Banshee, the sleekest high performance modified tunnel hull on the market. The Banshee is both aerodynamically and hydrodynamically designed to move fast on the water ... with stability and cat-like reflexes that will quicken the heart rate. The choice of power is yours ... jet, outboard or stern drive, the Banshee likes them all. If your boating pleasure demands no-compromise performance, select the no compromise boat that out-runs the rest ... Banshee, there's nothing even close.
SPECIFICATIONS Hull Length 20'2"
Beam 86"
Approx. Weight w/Engine 2000
Standard Fuel Capacity 40 gal.
Seating Capacity 6
Transom Angle 12 degrees
Hull Deadrise (Tunnel) 16 degrees

Kim Hanson
01-31-2004, 09:37 PM
It won't let me edit this picture into it:D .........( . )( . )......'s
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/72banshee1.jpg:cool:

HavasuDreamin'
02-02-2004, 06:10 AM
Well then go for it Lakes. Adavantage does build a good boat, not knocking them there. I would recommend a compression test though.
FYI..........Advantage bought the Eliminator Scorpion mold. The two boats were built from the same mold.
HD

You Te
02-02-2004, 09:03 AM
The Banshee is very similar to the Rapid Craft Riot. I hear nitrous really makes those outboards run.
Havasu Dreamin,
Somehow I think if the Banshee was set up right and running nitrous it would spank the Mirage or the STV in the 1/4 mile.
This is just what I've heard I have no real experience.:D
Are you going to BBSP?
You Te

STV_Keith
02-02-2004, 09:04 AM
Lakes, not all the STV's are so narrow at the back. The older Pro Comp Ski (like mine) and the River Rocket are, but take a look at a Euro Ski. Full size rear bench or 2 buckets in the back. They are pretty much the fastest O/B boat of that size. You are going to spend a little more for a Euro than a RR or PCS though.
I didn't see the thread/ad for the boat, so I can't comment further, but what year 2.4 is it? Is it a Bridgeport? What mid and lower is on it?

HavasuDreamin'
02-02-2004, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by You Te
Are you going to BBSP? You Te
Not this year. Wife is prego, and other priorities n what not? :(

Back To Havasu
02-02-2004, 10:23 AM
HD...Love to see your nasty 19 Eliminator Daytona at a BBSP. Maybe next year we can hook up. I am ready for a ride in that blue and white bad boy of yours.:D

old rigger
02-03-2004, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by HavasuDreamin'
FYI..........Advantage bought the Eliminator Scorpion mold. The two boats were built from the same mold.
HD
Not that it matters much, but we didn't buy the molds from Eliminator, just splashed it. Basically same boat, but there were a few small, meaningless changes made to the deck.
We built a Banshee with a single carbed SBC to go after the ETII record and the record still stands today, something like 118mph I think. That was the only I/O we ever did with that boat. It was super ****in ugly with the X raised so the prop shaft was even with the keel. The engine sat a mile high. raced the Mississippi race with it twice, one DNF and one first in class, and raced the Parker enduro too. I think it was down to 5 hours by then, late 80's, maybe 1990. Thing hauled ass in that race til the first turn, flipped the boat and sunk...DOH!
Build many outboards which are very cool, and lots of jets with that boat. The jet sucks, a very wet, slow ride.
Someone on this board, ducky I think, bought the molds from Advantage last year. Anyone know if he's built a boat yet?

HavasuDreamin'
02-03-2004, 09:58 AM
Learn something new everyday. :) I heard through the grapevine that Advantage had bought the molds from Elim. It made since to me at the time because Eliminator stopped making the Scorpion about the time that Advantage started with the Banshee (to the best of my recolection).
At any rate, thanks for setting the record straight.
HD

vishus
02-03-2004, 10:47 PM
Ducky has completed the bottom, and is in the process of finishing the cap....
as soon as she is done, I'm sure he will post pictures and info...
sid

You Te
02-04-2004, 08:51 PM
No wonder Ducky was asking me to send him photos of the bottom of my Riot.
You Te

HavasuBarney
02-17-2004, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by vishus
Ducky has completed the bottom, and is in the process of finishing the cap....
as soon as she is done, I'm sure he will post pictures and info...
sid
Fiberglass Reformations bought the Advantage molds.
They did Reform the bottom.
The boat is complete but I don't think we'll be hearing much about it from them. Seems with all their infinate wisdom they can not get the boat to run over 60 mph. :D :D
Now that's a Riot. ;)

Tom Brown
02-17-2004, 11:41 PM
I was wondering what was going on with that project. It looked pretty good when I saw it.

sorry dog
02-18-2004, 05:48 AM
They must be in the wind tunnel testing various stabilizer wing designs.

You Te
02-18-2004, 08:18 AM
Barney, was that 60 MPH pass on the bottle with a 32 wheel?:D :eek:
You Te

Wicky
02-18-2004, 09:15 AM
It's not the boat, its the monkey motor!!!

Wicky
02-18-2004, 09:18 AM
Too bad the pics just don't upload like they used to.
Mow,
Wicky

sorry dog
02-18-2004, 11:00 AM
MONKEY MOTOR
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=595204

Tom Brown
02-18-2004, 11:30 AM
No wonder Ducky was asking me to send him photos of the bottom of my Riot.
You Te
Barney took me by FR to meet Ducky and check out that project when I was in Havasu. It was a nice looking boat and almost done being rigged when I was there.
The thing I could never put together was that I was told you (You Te) had sent Ducky a bunch of shots of your Riot bottom but when I was there, Ducky knew all about the Riot. In fact, he mentioned several problems with the Riot hull they fixed with their modifications.
I didn't ask too many questions. They all seemed pretty hyped or maybe they were as high as I was from the resin fumes.
For what it's worth, I hope they get it sorted out. Maybe they'll have to un-fix some aspects of the boat but it's a nice looking hull and it would be great if it turned into a good runner.

sorry dog
02-18-2004, 12:27 PM
In fact, he mentioned several problems with the Riot hull they fixed with their modifications.
You Te say - Rapid Riot varee slow boat.

Tom Brown
02-18-2004, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by sorry dog
You Te say - Rapid Riot varee slow boat.
That's it Dog... I'm coming over to your place and I'm going to kick your ass. :mad:

sorry dog
02-18-2004, 12:37 PM
**** you asshole Canatard.
Bring your **** buddy Nate too - I'll make both of yalls asses look like yesterdays bean burrito.
My homie Marc from Arizona is here to back me up

Tom Brown
02-18-2004, 12:39 PM
The last time Nate said he would get my back he quietly disappeared and I didn't see him for days. Anyway, I don't need him. Nobody does.

sorry dog
02-18-2004, 12:43 PM
Sure is hard to get a good rim job these daze.

You Te
02-18-2004, 08:11 PM
You guy's are killing me!:D
You Te

sorry dog
02-19-2004, 11:50 AM
My homie Marc is gonna show up to BBSP and kick all yalls asses.

You Te
02-19-2004, 05:58 PM
I understand Sorry Dog.:D
You Te

DUCKY
02-25-2004, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by HavasuDreamin'
Well then go for it Lakes. Adavantage does build a good boat, not knocking them there. I would recommend a compression test though.
HD
The Scorpion and Banshee are not the exact same boat. They are more like "Fraternal Twins" The Banshe has a molded in ridge for a plexi-glass windshield, and the Scorpion has a recess in the deck ridge where the Banshee comes to a slight peak. Also, the outer sponsons come back about 6" further on a Scorpion than a Banshee.

DUCKY
02-25-2004, 09:09 PM
I will post pics of mine when the roll of film is out. The first boat is together, but still in R&D. We would prefer not to post any pics until it's perfect. My boat will have the most agressive bottom changes, hopefully drag racing worthy. All of these hulls (Scorpion, Banshee, and Riot) tend to drag their ass, with the Advantage version being the worst offender, and the Riot performing the best. I am trying to change that.......

STVBOY
02-25-2004, 09:30 PM
I heard that the riot was just a rough base of the scorpion but really a completely different boat top to bottom and thats why there is such a difference in performance and handling of the boat. I am assuming you guys redesigned the deck because that was a major problem for those boats compared to the riot.The riots dash sits back 9in compared the scorpion because the cg was off on the other two for outboards.

sorry dog
02-26-2004, 06:00 AM
My boat will have the most agressive bottom changes, hopefully drag racing worthy.
Is a fire extinguisher standard equipment?

You Te
02-26-2004, 07:12 AM
Ducky,
The Riot don't drag it's ass to bad when I hit the little magic button.:D :D :D :D
You Te

sorry dog
02-26-2004, 09:31 AM
The Riot don't drag it's ass to bad when I hit the little magic button.
Where's Chop master Wicky when ya need'em?

DUCKY
02-26-2004, 05:03 PM
Ducky,
The Riot don't drag it's ass to bad when I hit the little magic button.:D :D :D :D
You Te
It would if you had a stock 200 on it.... But YOU have enough power to push my kitchen table down the drag strip in about 9 seconds!
PS, I meant the overall attitude of the boat, as in kinda nose high, and tail draggin, instead of flat and high like an STV or mirage. I didn't mean slow. Aw to hell with it, here is a pic of the first boat we built.
Inside...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/523/776scan-med.jpg
Outside....
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/523/776scan0002-med.jpg

Rexone
02-27-2004, 02:50 AM
I split the S&F shiznit off to a seperate thread since this thread does have useful discussion. Lets keep it on topic. More of that stuff here and I'll lock it again permanently. Take that stuff to bench racers please.

HavasuDreamin'
02-27-2004, 06:59 AM
Thanks Rexone for trying to keep the O/B section on track. Even though this area doesn't get much traffic, some good advice does come out of it every once in a while.
Seems like this is the only area of the forums that doesn't get ugly. It is nice.
:cool:

DUCKY
02-27-2004, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by sorry dog
Is a fire extinguisher standard equipment?
Yes it is.... Why do you ask?:confused:

sorry dog
03-01-2004, 07:45 AM
Well you know... if one needed to put out the occasional spontaneous fire. That way the owner wouldn't have to sink the boat the put the fire out.

Forkin' Crazy
03-01-2004, 05:10 PM
Funny you should mention that, SD. I had my Glastron burn my senior year in high school. The plug was in the inside, so I could not get to it when I was in the water. Fire at the rear. Battery came out of its mount and contacted the fuel tank, burning a hole in the fuel tank and...................you can guess the rest. Didn't get another boat for 10 more years.....
I carry a fire extinguisher in all my boats now...:o
Nice boat, Ducky. What top speed have you gotten out of it?

DUCKY
03-01-2004, 05:35 PM
I would not like to post how fast it is......Yet. Lets just say it would beat your average jet boat, but not by a whole lot. I'll let you know how fast it really goes when we get done with the bottom mods. That boat really turned out nice. I wish I could afford to have the guy that sprayed that one do mine. I'm very good at repairs, but I stink at mold taping. I am not dyslexic enough!

You Te
03-01-2004, 10:35 PM
SD, hopefully the warer is not to deep.
You Te

sorry dog
03-02-2004, 06:37 AM
Yes You Te, shallow water would be good so that the boat could be recovered...

You Te
03-02-2004, 07:28 AM
Yes SD,
Most of the time recovery is good and on occasion it can be not so good.:D
You Te

sorry dog
03-02-2004, 10:30 AM
Damn You Te,
I can't seem to think of a time when recovering a boat wouldn't be good. Unless you didn't like your boat for some reason :confused: :confused:

You Te
03-02-2004, 10:01 PM
SD, I guess some people might not like their boat.:D
You Te

sorry dog
03-03-2004, 08:02 AM
Well You Te,
I guess the question is, if you didn't like your boat, and it happened sink because you were putting a fire out, do you call the insurance company? I mean it's an accident, right?
Especially if it's in shallow water so it's easy for the insurance company to see what happened...

You Te
03-03-2004, 11:11 PM
SD,
It could be an accident, but then again, maybe not. I would think if not, deep water would be best, that way the insurance company would not supect a rat.
You Te

H20 Party Starter
03-04-2004, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by DUCKY
I would not like to post how fast it is......BECAUSE i ****ED UP AND IT SUCKS. I wish I could afford to have BARNEY spray mine. I think I'm good at repairs, but I stink at mold taping. I am not smart enough!
Yeah........a good friend of mine in the industry told me you suck at everything:rolleyes:

STVBOY
03-04-2004, 10:26 AM
:D :D :D :D :D

sorry dog
03-04-2004, 11:08 AM
Party Starter: Let's try to keep this thread on topic. We're talking about sinking boats, shallow water, and collecting insurance money. Do you have anything to add?

H20 Party Starter
03-04-2004, 12:52 PM
I heard they have some great insurance fraud techniques and tips on ScreamandFly.com. Evidently, the guy who runs the joint does it all the time;)

Rexone
03-04-2004, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Rexone
I split the S&F shiznit off to a seperate thread since this thread does have useful discussion. Lets keep it on topic. More of that stuff here and I'll lock it again permanently. Take that stuff to bench racers please.
I'm not sure what part of the above was not clear.
Thread locked.

grantmx
05-23-2016, 08:58 AM

I have an Advantage Banshee with new engine: 871 blower 600 cu. in. GM with custom Bravo 3 outdrive and automotive racing hydraulic clutch inside bell housing, and clutch pedal under dash. Bought it from dealer selling for sick owner who was unable to talk much at all thanks to Parkinson's. I received 0 info on this boat basically. I have removed total from boat and doing it my way, and also reinforcing the transom. Other than that boat and everything in it is basically new. Never seen the water with this engine. Prior installed blown small block was tested in the water by builder a few times at well over 100mph. Looking for anyone that has ran these boats, knows anything about them, and how do they handle? Any transom problems? etc. There is no way the transom is strong enough for this outdrive or engine so beefing it up and adding struts and braces to be safe. There are no cracks anywhere or dry rot but want to be on the safe side. Used to run flat bottoms but old now with bad back so thought this tunnel would be smooth and safe unlike the flats I raced. I attached pictures, hope they work, first time for me posting. And if pictures work you will see the engine is way up there but boat is wide enough so should be ok. Would love to find guy who built the engine and did the out drive stuff? Hate to take it apart to see what was done custom since it's new. Driver seat is on right, I like the left or center so lots of work to do. Hate to loose a seat if I go center. Thanks to everyone who has posted stuff about the Advantage Banshee. Grant 247