PDA

View Full Version : Cult status

framer1
01-31-2004, 03:54 PM
Now that DCB seems to have left cult status, now that everyone seems to be buying one. What will be the next"cool boat". Maybe Trident. I'm not knocking DCB it just seems there are not a secret anymore. When I bought mine in 01 nobody where I lived ever heard of them. I know i'm in hooterville:D

LASERRAY
01-31-2004, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by framer1
Now that DCB seems to have left cult status, now that everyone seems to be buying one. What will be the next"cool boat". Maybe Trident. I'm not knocking DCB it just seems there are not a secret anymore. When I bought mine in 01 nobody where I lived ever heard of them. I know i'm in hooterville:D Bayliner. SHHHHHHHHHHHH!;) Lets keep this one to ourselves:D

Sleek-Jet
01-31-2004, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by framer1
Now that DCB seems to have left cult status, now that everyone seems to be buying one. What will be the next"cool boat". Maybe Trident. I'm not knocking DCB it just seems there are not a secret anymore. When I bought mine in 01 nobody where I lived ever heard of them. I know i'm in hooterville:D
... but does it have to be custom boat???? :rolleyes:

Ultracrazy
01-31-2004, 06:46 PM
I would like to know what the big deal was about DCB's display. Saw it..........no biggie. Just a black curtain and some lights. Still think they are over priced. Loved the Howards........nice rigs.

BIGTYME
01-31-2004, 09:19 PM
I hear ya ultra, didn't impress me much.
I think that f34(?) is ridiculous,( its kinda like shooting pool with a rope) can't get off to go swim? how do you even get out of the damn thing?

Troubles No More
01-31-2004, 09:47 PM
After viewing the boats I have come to realize that DCB and Eliminator boats models look the same.
What do you thing?????

25 Eagle
01-31-2004, 09:57 PM
Ya know what I think...one company builds racing boats and one "racing" websites.

Dr. Eagle
01-31-2004, 10:27 PM
I saw lots of nice boats there, but nothing that is going to become a legend in it's own time like Schiada, Howard, Hallett, or perhaps DCB. Other than the awesome rigging quality, I didn't see a DCB boat that I would want to own personally... They just don't look like a practical family boat to me...IMHO. Beautiful workmanship though...quality is unsurpassed and the rigging is stellar... and you pay for it dearly.

LASERRAY
01-31-2004, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
I saw lots of nice boats there, but nothing that is going to become a legend in it's own time like Schiada, Howard, Hallett, or perhaps DCB. Other than the awesome rigging quality, I didn't see a DCB boat that I would want to own personally... They just don't look like a practical family boat to me...IMHO. Beautiful workmanship though...quality is unsurpassed and the rigging is stellar... and you pay for it dearly. One of the four boat makers that you mentioned will have me as a customer on my next purchase albeit my new floatie has less then 3 hours on it, I'm looking five years down the line........................................

Dr. Eagle
01-31-2004, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by LASERRAY
One of the four boat makers that you mentioned will have me as a customer on my next purchase albeit my new floatie has less then 3 hours on it, I'm looking five years down the line........................................
I'm liking the Schiada personally for my next boat...
The really really retro one....
;)

LASERRAY
01-31-2004, 11:04 PM
I'm liking the Schiada personally for my next boat...
The really really retro one....
;) I have to look seriously at the Howard 28 Bullet, The Hallet 25.5, 270 or 300 or the Schiada 21' RC.;)

Dr. Eagle
01-31-2004, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by LASERRAY
I have to look seriously at the Howard 28 Bullet, The Hallet 25.5, 270 or 300 or the Schiada 21' RC.;)
I agree, I spent a lot of time at Howards booth, as well as Hallett. I like the mid cabin Halletts a lot! Howard boats were cool, but most (all?) at the show were cats that I saw.

LASERRAY
02-01-2004, 12:10 AM
I agree, I spent a lot of time at Howards booth, as well as Hallett. I like the mid cabin Halletts a lot! Howard boats were cool, but most (all?) at the show were cats that I saw. I was lovin' the mid cabin cuddys. Saw alot of those by different makers.

MagicMtnDan
02-01-2004, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by BIGTYME
I think that f34(?) is ridiculous,( its kinda like shooting pool with a rope) can't get off to go swim? how do you even get out of the damn thing?
Is that the one that was at the back end of their booth, closest to the building wall? I was guessing that it was like $250,000 and the DCB guy said it's more like $400,000.
I'm sure it's worth that much to someone but holy mackerel! Sure you can eat off of their engine compartment floors and their rigging is awesome and their boats look great but I don't want to have to embezzle money or rob banks just to go boating.
When you've got boats that cost that much it's easy to afford the bright lights and plasma screens (yeah, I know that Charley set DCB up with the booth, whatever). And Eliminator brought enough high-dollar, mega-buck boats (they were everywhere) to make you think that the Internet boom is still going on and the dot-commers are spending all their money on high-performance cats!
The lake lice have fuel injection and superchargers and they've got price tags exceeding $10,000!
The boat show is just another reason why the lotteries around the country are so popular. Everyone has get-rich-quick fever!
(No JetBoatRich, this thread isn't about you :D )

Dr. Eagle
02-01-2004, 08:05 AM
Yeah, I have always been kind of a value oriented person, meaning if I can get something of almost comparable quality for half the price of X (DCB), I'd rather do that than have the prestige widget.
The rigging was awesome, but the boats were not functional for my kinda use and were outrageously priced. I will never own a DCB because of that. But they are catering to an elite that still seems to exist in this world and are doing quite well thank you very much...
:D

MagicMtnDan
02-01-2004, 08:16 AM
I was (am) really impressed by Shockwave's new 26 Cat and I heard they sold a bunch of 'em.
I wonder how much difference in price there is between Shockwave's 26 and DCB's most similar cat if both are comparably equipped? Do you think DCB's boat is $10,000 more? $20,000 more? More than that? Is it really worth it? :confused:

framer1
02-01-2004, 09:16 AM
I still think DCB's are the best boat out there. All i'm saying is maybe the mystique of owning one is gone. I will be buying another one in a couple of years:)

boxscore
02-01-2004, 10:55 AM
Everyone keeps whining about the cost of a DCB. It's all about supply and demand. I believe if you ordered a DCB today, you'd take delivery around July or August, perhaps even longer than that. With that kind of line-up in front of you, Dave can charge whatever he wants for a boat. Any shrewd businessman would do the same. Any of us would only dream that our business product had the same demand. This scenario begs the question as to why he doesn't hire more employees, and really ramp up production. I sat at his desk last year and asked him that very question. He simply stated he doesn't want production company that builds more than 50-60 boats a year. He said he'd rather make a product that keeps on getting better and better, and reap the rewards later on in terms of cost per unit. You gotta respect that. Take a look at these other boat builders who produce 100, 200 or more boats each year. For the most part, their quality is inferior and their only committment sell more boats than the year before. Prior to buying a DCB, I bought a custom boat from a manufacturer and my salesperson had not ridden in one of their boats in over a year even though he was with the company for years! Unbelievable. He simply didn't have a passion for the product, only a passion for a sales contract.
As far as those $300K + rigs are concerned, most folks on these boards are relative paupers compared to these customers. Anyone that can spend that kind of money on a depreciable item has a sick amount of wealth. That kind of money is in a league of it's own and most of us can't relate.
Bottom line is Dave does a few things really really good. First, his boats are first class, and he makes sure nothing less is produced. Second, every boat that leaves the shop is better than the last. Third, he has created an undeniable mystique, reputation, cult following, worshippers or whatever you wanna call it. And I don't think he's done this intentionally. Sure, he loves it. But without the product that mystique would crumble in a heartbeat.

25 Eagle
02-01-2004, 12:08 PM
First lets set the record straight, Dave builds a very nice boat and I'm sure that if you own one you are very proud. Now lets get real, what is this talk about mystique and a cult following? The only "cult following" is right here on these boards by a few loyal owners. Try posting this shit over on OffshoreOnly where the Nor-Tech, Outerlimits, Skater, MTI, and the Callan boys hang out. I guess those boats are just chopped liver compared to Daves. Some of you need a good reality check.

Dr. Eagle
02-01-2004, 12:15 PM
Yeah, Boxscore you make some good points. I am happy with a Chevy, I would never own a Rolls Royce. Never thought it was smart to spend that much money on the basis of a mystique or a name.
Daves boats are at the top of the class quality wise. That being said, even if I had the money, (and DCB made a boat I would want for a family situation) I'd get another manufacturer anyway and use the rest of the cash for a room addition to the house or to buy a vacation home. I guess it just comes down to personal preference... and that is... well ... personal.

boxscore
02-01-2004, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by 25 Eagle
First lets set the record straight, Dave builds a very nice boat and I'm sure that if you own one you are very proud. Now lets get real, what is this talk about mystique and a cult following? The only "cult following" is right here on these boards by a few loyal owners. Try posting this shit over on OffshoreOnly where the Nor-Tech, Outerlimits, Skater, MTI, and the Callan boys hang out. I guess those boats are just chopped liver compared to Daves. Some of you need a good reality check.
You're absolutely right, most DCB owners are in need of a reality check. Most of those here on these boards get a little more focused on west coast builders. But I would say 99% of those who have purchased a DCB, been through the buying/building process, and continued relationship with the company after the sale, would attest to an undeniable loyalty with DCB. This loyalty can also be called a cult following (using a lil tongue in cheek). I'm sure Skater and MTI have the same following. They are very expensive and have some mystique as well! But you don't hear the constant whining about them from non-owners do you? I just don't understand the bashers when they haven't been through the experience. They can whine about the pricing, but my point was the pricing is justified by the demand.

boxscore
02-01-2004, 12:23 PM
Yeah, Boxscore you make some good points. I am happy with a Chevy, I would never own a Rolls Royce. Never thought it was smart to spend that much money on the basis of a mystique or a name.
Daves boats are at the top of the class quality wise. That being said, even if I had the money, (and DCB made a boat I would want for a family situation) I'd get another manufacturer anyway and use the rest of the cash for a room addition to the house or to buy a vacation home. I guess it just comes down to personal preference... and that is... well ... personal.
We're on the same page. I totally agree

TRIMDOG
02-01-2004, 11:07 PM
The longer a company is in business, the greater the notoriety (good or bad). DCB= Best built boat from California (IMO).