PDA

View Full Version : front wing

taylormanss
03-27-2006, 04:32 PM
does anyone know if the wings that are on the front of pickelforks actually work? I saw one on an eliminator and was wondering if it would work on my liberator tunnel ? and does anyone know who makes these wings ?or does anyone have one laying around forsale ?

sleekcrafter
03-27-2006, 05:00 PM
They were put on some Eliminators as you said. They are found on drag set-ups running over 120 or so and up. With the extra down force comes extra drag, so keep that in mind too. In the old days they flew the nose, today they lift the back of the boat, to get it out of the water :) Sleek.. The Liberator is a much heavier boat then these Lightweight Kevlar Eliminators.
http://members.aol.com:/dealerschoicehw/daytona1

LUVNLIFE
03-27-2006, 05:08 PM
They were put on some Eliminators as you said. They are found on drag set-ups running over 120 or so and up. With the extra down force comes extra drag, so keep that in mind too. In the old days they flew the nose, today they lift the back of the boat, to get it out of the water :) Sleek.. The Liberator is a much heavier boat then these Lightweight Kevlar Eliminators.
http://members.aol.com:/dealerschoicehw/daytona1
Exactly, lift the back and run it flat. Alot safer.

taylormanss
03-27-2006, 05:09 PM
just how light are the eliminators ? cause my liberator is a 350 lb. hull,very light layup.

sleekcrafter
03-27-2006, 05:35 PM
The Liberator 18's were 550lbs. and the 19's are 650. I thought the lightweight Eliminators were 450 or so.
Sleek

bottom feeder
03-27-2006, 06:07 PM
Not just on pickel forks any more?
http://www.jetboatracing.com/yelloweagles.jpg

sleekcrafter
03-27-2006, 06:21 PM
I like the one to the left, have a wing on top for lift? and the canard on the front for lift control? the guy's with out the wings look bummed :) Cool pic's BF
Sleek

bottom feeder
03-27-2006, 06:28 PM
Top wing is for roll left to right. canards are for lift So i hear

Cs19
03-27-2006, 07:51 PM
According the the designer of that wing, its there to serve one purpose..To slow down the "climb" of the hull.

Aluminum Squirt
03-28-2006, 03:12 PM
Hey BF, the rear wing on that boat, is that you know who's boat? Didn't he have to go to jail or something? Haven't heard his name in awhile after all the bashing regarding him, his company and some stolen boats and ideas? Just wondering, not trying to stir the pot or anything-Aluminum Squirt

bottom feeder
03-28-2006, 07:00 PM
Aluminum squirt,
Nope I think the El cyote is Robs personal boat. The Boice boat had the huge top wing it was like 11 feet wide and had the motor covered. I think their are two Eagles running the canard wings. From what I hear it lets them run them loose on the big end then drop the nose in for the bumpy stuff.

Marty Gras
03-28-2006, 07:26 PM
Back in the early '80's we ran a couple of flatbottoms (runners) at a very windy track in Bullhead City AZ. (Sunshine Marina) We needed to control the air going under and over the nose, without pushing the cavitation plates down. (slowing the boat) We made some wings very similar to the ones pictured above. Half of the wing on each side of the nose just above the bow eye. It was spring loaded and had about 8 degrees of travel. Leave the line with it 'lifting' and get to the cross wind area on the track (1000FT) and just ease down the cav. pedal. The first 2" of travel moved the wing and then the rest of the travel moved the plates. This way the driver didn't need to 'relearn' how to drive the boat. Those "nose wings" work. The Daytona with the Ford (pictured) has a wing with a very sharp curve, and it is holding the nose down. Most of those tunnel boat wings that I have built, were very flat and just 'guided' more or less air under the boat. (tunnel) We built them in the same way, foot controled, first 2" of travel moved the wing, the rest of the travel moved the Place Diverter. I think we did a 13" flat (1/4") piece with a piece of 1" milled triangle aluminum at the trailing edge. The "wedge" was 1/2 up and 1/2 down, to create a 'wickerbill' effect.

taylormanss
03-29-2006, 05:11 PM
Not just on pickel forks any more?
http://www.jetboatracing.com/yelloweagles.jpg
now that's cool!

nastyhabit
04-02-2006, 03:13 PM
its there for people that dont know how to set up a daytona

Cs19
04-02-2006, 03:50 PM
We built them in the same way, foot controled, first 2" of travel moved the wing, the rest of the travel moved the Place Diverter.
Foot controlled diverter, thats pretty cool.
Which Daytona's had that set up?

cyclone
04-02-2006, 08:17 PM
hey chris the next time you are at BR on a holiday weekend check out that lightweight yellow/white Rogers that's usually parked in the cove. that boat's got a foot controlled diverter. pretty neat setup.

Marty Gras
04-02-2006, 09:52 PM
"Mr Nasty Habit" please bring your turd out to lost lake (on the Colorado river) and see how the 'incorrect set up works', then you will shut your mouth and learn something. "Working the nozzle" is a small part of getting a jet boat to 'leave hard', but I guess you know ALL ABOUT IT with your FIXED NOZZLE, and your BENCH SEATS! If you are running BLOWN FUEL and cannot move the nozzle due to tremendous force, then I concede, but if you do run gas or alcohol, then "step aside" and learn. PS, please leave your BENCH SEATS on the beach, so that your passengers can also watch you loose to the moving nozzle!