PDA

View Full Version : Why do you own a jet?

Mohavekid
02-02-2004, 03:12 PM
Boards are slow so I thought I would ask.
I like jets because they are relatively simple, easier to increase performance, safe, and no prop/outdrive to damage.
Let's hear your thoughts

Jetdriver
02-02-2004, 03:16 PM
I love to way a jet handles! Its a totally different feeling, thats for sure. Plus the roost! :D

Nubbs
02-02-2004, 03:18 PM
Mainly because I think they're cool. Nothing better than hearing a big block and seeing a big roost.

riverbound
02-02-2004, 03:20 PM
because they only made my boat in a jet and i also love the roost:D

fourspeednup
02-02-2004, 03:40 PM
I like loud things that go slow;)
"bathtub + car motor + spa parts = jetboat"
-havasubarney

JetBoatRich
02-02-2004, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Jetdriver
I love to way a jet handles! Its a totally different feeling, thats for sure. Plus the roost! :D
You don't own any boat:rolleyes:

fourspeednup
02-02-2004, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Jetdriver
My boat doesn't handle, it just goes sideways...I thought they all did that?:cool:

BiggusJimbus
02-02-2004, 03:54 PM
I grew up around jet boats. Since I was about 2, I guess.
Something about the loose handling and big motor always seems more fun that a perfectly tracking prop boat. Maybe not faster, but faster isn't always more fun.
Probably why I love driving dirt roads even more than I love playing at the track.

Drunk tank
02-02-2004, 03:55 PM
I love the fact that I can cruise areas where a guy ith a prop would shit himself...rocks just under the water. plus its nice when youre in the water behind the boat ya dont have to worry bout a damn prop slicing you up.
And the chics dig it ;)

Danhercules
02-02-2004, 04:01 PM
Its like a big fast jet ski!!!!!! LOL

Blown 472
02-02-2004, 04:22 PM
Cuz I enjoy shoveling money into a fiberglass pit.

LakesOnly
02-02-2004, 04:29 PM
I've always liked the handling characteristics.
Oh, and for the record, I run a place diverter as a performance upgrade to my pump and not because it generates a rooster tail.
LO

Cas
02-02-2004, 04:31 PM
safety, cool to drive, don't have to worry about dinging a prop, rooster tails, less maintainance, and they make v-drive guys jealous that jets have reverse :D

jerhodes
02-02-2004, 04:41 PM
Because I can have a back seat, go backward, sideways, throw a roost and not harm the fish.

diggler
02-02-2004, 04:59 PM
here's the real reason I own a jet.....
It's CHEAP, when compared to owning a new or used 25-30foot catamaran. You get more bang for the buck with speed and looks. While I'd rather own an Eliminator Daytona, I'm perfectly satisfied with my little Tahiti. It's loud, obnoxious, and it gets looks even when being towed! Oh, after owning it for a while, I finally worked all the bugs out, BY MYSELF, without shelling out huge dollars for service.
Amen to the jetboat.... where else can you go over 65mph for under $5,000?
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/142PF_at_Lost_Isle_2-med.jpg

fourspeednup
02-02-2004, 05:11 PM
Rev on reverend! That pretty much sums it up for me. A jet was the only way for me to get into performance boating. It's cool to get looks and thumbs up's from the big boat guys because you know that's how they got their start too.:cool:

Checkmate
02-02-2004, 05:56 PM
Why did I buy mine?
I bought it because I got a killer deal from a buddy who knew nothing about engines.
Why do I keep it?
I keep it because I like the rumble, the roost, the never worrying about the prop, the looks, AND the wife won't LET me sell it.:D :D
PLUS, what other vehicle can intimidate the pwc's so much especially when they get behind you, come up on ya, then see a roost come up. They make the fastest u turn ever.:D

moneysucker
02-02-2004, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by jerhodes
Because I can have a back seat, go backward, sideways, throw a roost and not harm the fish.
I just don't want to hurt the fish either. That and it is so great beating the $30,000 weed wacker boats with one that at the time I was into for $6500. That and nothing pisses off fishermen more than seeing us show up at the lake.
Cy

1Bahnerjet
02-02-2004, 06:34 PM
Slip n' Slide........ :D

1979tarva
02-02-2004, 08:06 PM
its fun and for me its easy to work on i know a lot about motors and thats pretty much all thats there . also we discovered that if you drive it right you can squirt the guy your towing on the tube in the face pretty well and throw them off of it pretty far and fast .

MudPumper
02-02-2004, 10:04 PM
Because I can use my roost to blow bikini tops right off the girls!!!!

LOWRIVER2
02-03-2004, 02:47 AM
Because it allows me to boat at "Glass Alley" on holiday weekends and water ski on glass at 3 pm with only one or two other boats in sight. Can't take an I/O to get to that uncrowded waterway.
If you don't know where glass alley is, don't ask. It's a great secret us lower river people have enjoyed for years.

TexasJet
02-03-2004, 04:58 AM
Back when I bought my boat Texas was going thru a severe drought. All the lakes were low. The lake I camped at most was 10' low. This buddy of mine had a IO and every weekend we went boating he would hit something and ding his aluminum prop. I decided I didn't want the expense of replacing props all the time. Jets seemed so much simpler.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
02-03-2004, 05:21 AM
because I like writing checks!!!:) I bought mine for the old school nostalgia. I look at it like an old muscle car. It may not be the fastest thing on the water but it grabs lots of attention at the boat ramp.
Oh yeah and it drinks LOTS of gas!!! just helping keep the economy a float!
Omega

Back Forty
02-03-2004, 07:14 AM
I grew up in a family involved with Olds Dealerships and a history of being around the cars. The Old man always had friends with Olds powered jets. I 've always wanted one. Started looking for something that would work on the local lakes which can get choppy as hell. Then I found this clean little number. It seems to go good behind my Custom Cruiser of the same year and engine. Lot's of fun.
Heres my obscene pic of last year.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid69/p7f66fbcc1d7368153a638b4ef8d08a53/fbac63bf.jpg
And a gratuitous pic! :D
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid63/p81a5b3e5e89ec44d725601b4f13c060c/fc1ab122.jpg

napabob
02-03-2004, 08:32 AM
I own a jet boat because my father in law decided that it was time to pass it on (he’s 75 years old). It became my only hobby and I am in the process of restoring it (boat) to its original state. When I reach the age when I can no longer operate the boat safely, I will pass it on to my only nephew when he becomes interested in maintaining the family boat (25 years down the line).

Aluminum Squirt
02-03-2004, 08:54 AM
Because I like running over sand bars/gravel bars/logs etc and running places where the only boat traffic you may encounter is another jet powered aluminum boat-Aluminum Squirt

AdrenelineOD
02-03-2004, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by JetBoatRich
You don't own any boat:rolleyes: I spend all my time behind the boat I do need a driver. You are invited!http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/1425Picture_007-med.jpg oh ya I wouldn`t have a boat if it wasn`t a jet because of all the stumps I found in lake Talahassee Florida, so look at my avitar

skeepwerkzaz
02-03-2004, 10:05 AM
Isn't this why we all REALLY own them?
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/485kt-med.jpg

Mark Sims
02-03-2004, 10:41 AM
I like that last picture. Man that is some torque. Has to be an olds.

Chris J
02-03-2004, 10:45 AM
Its the corvette of boats. Not very pratical but its tough not to notice a big block boat with a 150ft rooster.
It amazing how a two stoke jet ski will get all sorts of negive comments for noise. While a V8 will impress the same people while actually making more noise (this assumes you're not running open headers).

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
02-03-2004, 05:54 PM
Why do I own a jetboat? Hmmmmmm............................. maybe its the noise! No, its the fact that I dont have to worry about trimming up for the launch ramp! No, its because its a water hot rod! No WAIT, its the fact that i can punch a huge ass rooster tail and get everybodys attention:D ;) :D and I have a defense when someone really gets out of line:D A oversized super soaker owered by 500 ponies pushin' it;)

Jbb
02-03-2004, 06:26 PM
Because chicks dig jetboats.....:D

Still Wanna Be Blown
02-03-2004, 08:53 PM
Cause I Owned A Prop I/O Boat With A Buddy And His Girlfriend Is A Bitch, So I No Longer Have Bad Weekends At The River And With His New Boat Payment And The Lease Payment On Her They Both Stay Home.......Me I Just Keep Buyin My Own Gas!!!!!

slalomskier
02-03-2004, 11:34 PM
I've owned jetboats for 20+ years :) . Is there anything else to be on the lake with :D . They are safe for kids. You can go in shallow water. They're a blast to drive. Easy to work on. and there is nothing like the sound of a big block jet racing across the lake @ WOT :D . JETS there are no substitutes !!!
--------------------------------------
when in doubt GAS IT !!!

Duke
02-04-2004, 03:00 PM
I own a jet becouse i figure it'd be a great start into this boating world, being 19 and a college student isnt exactly a great situation for me to try and get anything to fancy.(brake out another thou' right?)
I'm happy with what i got, look, im on water!!!:D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/78MVC-417L-med.JPG

Checkmate
02-04-2004, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by moneysucker
nothing pisses off fishermen more than seeing us show up at the lake.
Cy
How true, how true. I was starting to think the middle finger was a new way of saying hi.:D :D

littlewood
02-04-2004, 09:35 PM
diggler, man that is a clean boat. My brother owned just like it for thirteen years. He never spent a dime on it. He wishes he had it back.

littlewood
02-04-2004, 09:38 PM
skeepwerkzaz
Are you a 3D modeler?

Mopar426
02-04-2004, 10:26 PM
Growing up around boats and working in a boat shop I took note of what breaks down the most and is the cheapest to maintain. Bought my first jet boat at 17 (marage 18', with a 350 OLDS/Panther) and just kept on buying them. I currently own two jet daycrusers. Other than the jet drive itself, all the parts are basically off the shelf items that you can find at any auto parts store. Jets are very quick out of the hole and handle great.:)

skipr
02-05-2004, 02:28 AM
Why do I have a jet boat?
Because my wife dosen't like it!!!:D :D

AdrenelineOD
02-05-2004, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Duke
I own a jet becouse i figure it'd be a great start into this boating world, being 19 and a college student isnt exactly a great situation for me to try and get anything to fancy.(brake out another thou' right?)
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/78MVC-417L-med.JPG Are u sayin that nice rides not your choice? You don`t like it? I`ll never abandone my girl.http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1425Picture_003-med.jpg

Kindsvater Flat
02-06-2004, 12:11 AM
I like mine when I had it. I like my v-drive. Definately won't go back......mainly for fuel consumption. I do miss the reverse at times. I still seat 4. Married now so no stray bitches on the bow. Thats about it.

bilgewiper
02-06-2004, 05:59 AM
I've never owned a surface drive (Arneson), but I have owned every other type of drive out there. I liked them all in one way or the other. But, the jets were always the most fun per dollor. So why do I now own a weed wacker and a I/O? Not sure but I WILL own a jet again!

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
02-06-2004, 06:30 AM
Originally posted by bilgewiper
I've never owned a surface drive (Arneson), but I have owned every other type of drive out there. I liked them all in one way or the other. But, the jets were always the most fun per dollor. So why do I now own a weed wacker and a I/O? Not sure but I WILL own a jet again!
Thats the kind of stuff I like to hear;) You get 2 thumbs up from me brotha;)

Duke
02-06-2004, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by AdrenelineOD
Are u sayin that nice rides not your choice? You don`t like it? I`ll never abandone my girl.http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1425Picture_003-med.jpg
Are you joking? at a whooping 55mph i'm THE SHIET!!!:D :D
i think i'll be keeping my jet for quite a while, enless i win the lotto or something... i should start playing,:p :idea::idea:

RedRocket
02-06-2004, 08:45 PM
because you can drive the crap out of them and not wreck anything

shueman
02-07-2004, 07:22 AM
I've been a river guy since the late '60's.
First boat was a Glasspar G3 outboard. Lost a few parts along the way. Got my first jet in '74 (Waikiki) and never went back to a blade. Safe, low maint, go anywhere, etc. Picked up a used Yama LS 200 last year and really like the performance and rough water ride. 55+ mph and easy on these "old bones". Thanks for a great forum.

LUVNLIFE
02-07-2004, 07:32 PM
Are you joking? at a whooping 55mph i'm THE SHIET!!!:D :D
i think i'll be keeping my jet for quite a while, enless i win the lotto or something... i should start playing,:p :idea::idea:
Go get them Duke;) :D :D

Cavefish
02-07-2004, 07:43 PM
So I'd have a place to put my snowman!:wink:
http://www.jetboatracing.com/snowraven.jpg
and for doing goofy stuff like this...
http://www.jetboatracing.com/707-14A.jpg
Cavefish

fourspeednup
02-07-2004, 08:14 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/78MVC-417L-med.JPG
Hell yeah man! I thought I was the youngest on the boards, but I'm right with ya...19 yr old college student:cool:
Where do you go...I'm at ASU

Jim Anderson
02-08-2004, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by JETBOAT BRIAN
Because chicks dig jetboats.....:D ugly ones. the cool chicks are with the fast guys....V_DRIVE BOATS :D . I had a jet boat when i didn't know any better. then i wanted to go fast and get the really hot chicks which ===blown cole flat is where it's at for me.

460rogers
02-08-2004, 08:56 AM
Wanted something fast and loud with lots of BLING BLING
And chicks dig the roost.
But mainly because I had a V-Drive and they suck.

cave
02-08-2004, 09:05 AM
I got mine because Its the most economical way to start out in performance boating. Sounds awesome, looks cool and in summer the lakes here in AZ are the place to be. Not to mention the look on the Bass fishermans face early in the AM :D

Checkmate
02-08-2004, 09:31 AM
I'll NEVER understand why fishermen get so upset when a big block powered boat goes blasting by.:D :yuk:

Ken F
02-08-2004, 01:03 PM
Envy.
I think it would be halarious to pull up on the boat ramp with a blown tunnel with fishing poles sticking out everywhere just in time for a bass tournament! ...just to see the look on their faces.

Checkmate
02-08-2004, 02:25 PM
I can see it now, tall seat, foot operated electric trolling motor, and 650 HP!!!

cave
02-08-2004, 03:10 PM
I did fish off my Kachina once. I was back in the coves at Saguaro lake. Pulled the pole out and started fishing. The bassholes still looked at me with the pissy face. Guess thats another reason I still own a Pumper boat. Love that BB sound.

cruser
02-08-2004, 11:33 PM
My kids have fished out of my boat many times. They used to think it was fun. This summer it will be the grandkids turn. Floated over many fish with the motor running (through transom exhaust), they didn't care until the boat's shadow approached. They sure scattered then.
I have also trolled out of my boat and caught a few here and there. You can adjust a jet to any trolling speed you want from 1 - the limits of your horsepower.
cruzer